Author Topic: Urgent: Borescope and cam timing kit for a 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec engine needed  (Read 3030 times)

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
If anyone can lend me either of the above items in a hurry it would be much appreciated. I'll elaborate on the monumental cock-up that led me to needing then when I'm in less of a foul mood...

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Oh that doesn't sound good....

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Have just bought the above on eBay. Learnt the hard way today the removing the balancer pulley on zetec releases the crank timing pulley. I didn't get as far as starting it, but I'm prety sure I hit some valves while turning the crank with a breaker bar. The sudden resistance and metal on metal sound made me feel sick.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
oh bugger...

shoulda gotta haynes manual too....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Quoting: art b
shoulda gotta haynes manual too....

I've got one. I bought it when I bought the car 11 years ago. Unfortunately it wasn't accurate for the job I was doing, which led me to ad-lib and cock it up...

I was only changing the 20,000 mile old water pump out that has sprung a leak from the shaft seal. This is driven from the aux belt so I didn't foresee anything that would affect timing, otherwise I would have had it towed to a garage.

The good old Haynes manual didn't mention anything to do with removing the timing belt cover to gain access to half the water pump and its fixings, so I had to abandon it's instructions.

It had looked like the cover extended behind the crank pulley/damper, but only after the pulley was removed could I see it was a two part cover (makes sense really knowing what I do now )

The set-up is a close fit (not interference) on the timing pulley and the aux pulley/balancer. A single central bolt presses on the damper against the timing pulley and that against the crank. as soon as the crank bolt it loose nothing can be moved. I never considered it would be such a fragile set-up, as everything I've seen previously has been keyed or at least interference for timing I never even crossed my mind that removing the balancer would have such consequences....

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile

Roadkill

Ah, bad luck.  Must admit I probably would've done the same thing.

EDIT - 20,000 miles is pretty bad for a water pump, though - I assume this was done at a garage before ??

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Quoting: Roadkill
I assume this was done at a garage before ??

Yup, but I didn't think it was worth wasting my breath on something that was done nearly 2 years ago...

Roadkill

Fair enough . . . You should be O.K if you were only turning it over by hand.  You may well have scuffed the top of your pistons but you'd be really unlucky to have bent any valves.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
That's what I'm hoping... Cross your fingers for me guys...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Quoting: Titsy
I've got one. I bought it when I bought the car 11 years ago.

well its about time ya got a new un then...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Keep those fingers crossed guys and girls... Nothing that I could determine was bent through the borescope, so it's re-timed and reassembly will commence tonight...

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
here's hoping it all goes well

did you borrow or buy a borescope?

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Hope all goes well.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
 again

Though it might be time to shop it in for an El Camino .... ok maybe something a tad more sensible

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Well if it wasn't fooked before it certainly is now.... Used a ford workshop manual, did everything by the letter and triple checked and still it went bang... Torqued up a new crank pulley bolt to 40Nm and then by 90degrees while bracing with a tool I bought special, and still the bolt undid itself in a matter of seconds of starting and running and everything let go... Looked down no1 cylinder and that said it all. Totally fooked.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Well if it wasn't fooked before it certainly is now....

Bummer, I feel your pain Buddy

Torqued up a new crank pulley bolt to 40Nm

40Nm doesn't seem very high ?  What size bolt is or was it

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
two stages of torquing, first to 40nm, which is enough to bind the pulley, then another 90degrees while bracing the pulley.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
two stages of torquing, first to 40nm, which is enough to bind the pulley, then another 90degrees while bracing the pulley.

Ah my bad, so the sucker should have been well tight

Is it game over for the old Gal, or after you have calmed down will you rebuild her ?

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
There was a dent in the spark plug as it came out and the remains of valves rolling around on the piston. I think it's safe to say at 12 years old, 128000 miles and with tin worm setting in she's beyond economical repair...

We had a good innings together, she was my first car and only a year old when I bought her, but I think it's time to chop her in...

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Time to chop her up more like!

Engines are DIRT cheap though!!!!

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
arse that's not good :(