Author Topic: Introducing . . . . . . THE PIG !!! (a.k.a PROJECT PIG)  (Read 5887 times)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Introducing . . . . . . THE PIG !!! (a.k.a PROJECT PIG)
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »
come on CP  make him a offer ..
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50:50 pm »
Nah, he likes them shabby.

Roadkill

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:26 am »
Got 'er painted at the weekend . . .

Decided to paint the entire lower section of the drivers side . . . . going up to an existing line made more sense than trying to feather it in (which would've looked crap).

Silver base, then clear coat . . . the colour is as per OEM specs but isn't a 100% match . . . it looks worse in the pictures and did dry a little lighter, too, but it's not perfect.

The finish was good . . . which was saying something as I was probably on my 5th pint of home brew by the time I got to painting and was finishing my 8th when I finished the clear !

The other side . . .

More to follow . . . .

Roadkill

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:44 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
More to follow . . . .

One of my concerns was how to finish the new "lines" I'd introduced by adding a black lower section to the sills.

I opted to go for a "chav-trim" . . . I've used these before ('85 Caddy) with great effect and, providing there's some thought involved, they can look good.

So I ordered 5m of the stuff, 2.4m each side . . .

At standing height the chrome trim reflects the ground so doesn't really show, but lower down or close-up I think it gives a good line separating the black stone chip and the silver paint above.

Not too bling, but just a little.  

Note that I used small round "chip-stickers" to cover the three old trim holes in the front of the rear arches . . . I was going to fill them but opted to leave them in the end - just in case some idiot wanted to re-fit some GFX to it.

Roadkill

« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:53 am »
Last night I fixed the trim (above), gave her a quick clean and a polish, then gave the windows and inside a wipe over, then cleaned the wheels and blacked the tyres (!!!)

She does come up pretty damn good, considering her age.

I'll be putting her up for sale in the next couple of days . . . see what happens . . . I don't *need* to sell her but the space is always handy and the cash would go towards the Caddy's air suspension fund.

Or I may keep her for a bit.  

These pics were taken this morning . . . bit of an improvement over the past year, me thinks . . .

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »
Amazing job on the sill repair, very nicely done to blend it all back together.

When does garage RK open for business?

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2014, 05:00:04 pm »
looking very nice and smart now!

be a shame to see her go but needs must!!

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:36 am »
Looking good

Roadkill

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2014, 07:03:09 pm »
Just when you think a project is over . . . .

In fairness, I knew about this.

While testing the lights (M.O.T in mind) a week or two back I noticed the front sidelights weren't working - didn't recall if they ever did.

I also knew that I had to sort out the rear fog light as that wasn't working either.

So, with my pathetically limited knowledge of things electrical I set out to work (with a multimeter I don't actually know how to use).

Rear fog light, first . . . quick play with the MM and I figure out that there's no circuit . . . then find there's no earth (not surprising).

Re-terminate the feed and then run a short wire back to the chassis for an earth as I figure that'd be easier than tackling the rusty bolts holding the light fitting in.

Hey presto, sorted . . . 1 for 1.

Move on to the sidelights.

Take out the passenger side one (it looked easier) to find the obligatory mass of wires and scotch-blocks.

This is already beyond me.

I prod around for a bit then find a wire stuffed down the narrow gap between the light bucket and chassis . . . follow it down and find my passenger sidelight !!

I shouldn't be surprised . . . I had the EXACT same thing on my old 86 Coupe Deville with the rear lights (they just dangled under the car).

The weird thing is they'd be cut off so the wires could be tucked in the tight gap between said bucket and chassis, then re-connected.

I had to cut them off, re-thread them and then re-terminate then back in the right place (through the central hole in the light bucket) then I fitted a new bulb (free, from stock )

I can only assume that, at some stage, the headlights were replaced and the new ones just didn't have the fitting for them ??  Dunno ??

Anyway, so I inspect the other side and it's the same.

So I do the same to get them in the right place (and, again, fit a new bulb). . . .

Next "fitting" them to the headlight itself . . .

With a bit of careful drilling with a step drill and vigorous removal of plastic swaff I made a hole so I could fit a suitable grommet.

Pretty good fit, I'm happy.

Replace both lights and . . .

A very successful 2 hours.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »
It is dam satisfying when a fix goes well.

That is now one nice mini-van!
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »
Sailed through the MoT earlier . . . advisers on play in steering, both sides.

And while she was on the ramps being tested and, as I suspected, I checked and she's got an LSD !

Which would explain some fun I had last time I took her out in the rain.  

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2014, 10:11:45 pm »
good work on the lighting and MOT!

Quoting: Roadkill
Which would explain some fun I had last time I took her out in the rain.