Author Topic: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac  (Read 18442 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #375 on: December 17, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
B&M shifter

Is this like a semi-auto then?

So, a 'Drive' mode or knock up or down to manually shift?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #376 on: December 17, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »
AFAIK it's a bit like a manual version of a flappy paddle set up, you flick up or down though the gears.

I don't know if you have a choice of selecting full auto like you can on modern boxes or if you have to keep flicking up and down until you get the gear you want.

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #377 on: December 17, 2013, 02:43:29 pm »
Basically you can "hold" on to a gear but can't shift up early . . . there's normally the option to just dump it in D for full auto, though.

Manual valve bodies effectively convert an auto to a manual - but that's a little more involved.

Andy

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #378 on: December 17, 2013, 03:05:05 pm »
My 700R4 allows you to decide the shift points *past* what the gearbox wants to shift at.

Dean, if you fancy it, the guys at V8UK would probably be really interested in featuring it as a build. They already have a couple on the go, but would be great to follow.

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #379 on: December 17, 2013, 03:23:05 pm »
Quoting: Andy
My 700R4 allows you to decide the shift points *past* what the gearbox wants to shift at

Yup, that's pretty normal . . I should've clarified it a bit more . . . With a shift kit you can change the "firmness" of the shift from "normal" to "neck-snapping" . . . With the TH400 kit it also comes with a plug so you can remove the vacuum modulator, and plug the hole, making the transmission a manual-shift transmission.  

It's worth remembering that the '58 is a column change, to get them "on the floor" is a major step . . . to get good, solid changes when I want them is near-perfect.

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #380 on: December 17, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
Dean, if you fancy it, the guys at V8UK would probably be really interested in featuring it as a build.

I don't mind . . . I've got nothing against the V8UK lot but from a completely outsiders point of view (and from what I see on facebook) there seems to be a lot of guys buying expensive V8 Astons / Jaguars / BMW's etc. . etc . . and there's nothing wrong with that . . . . . but cheque books don't buy knowledge.

Rich guys owning fast cars don't interest me personally - a poor man who can't afford to buy fast has to build fast from nothing . . that's where the knowledge comes from and that's what interests me.

I'm happy to send info their way if it helps to educate, though . . I've not signed up to their forums for the same reason I didn't sign up to pistonheads . . . there's some cool guys there, but plenty of know-nothing opinionated ar$eholes, too.

Don't get me wrong.  I know I'm an opinionated ar$ehole, but I know something . . . and that's the important difference.

Andy

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #381 on: December 18, 2013, 06:29:29 am »
I don't mind . . . I've got nothing against the V8UK lot but from a completely outsiders point of view (and from what I see on facebook) there seems to be a lot of guys buying expensive V8 Astons / Jaguars / BMW's etc. . etc . . and there's nothing wrong with that . . . . . but cheque books don't buy knowledge.

Rich guys owning fast cars don't interest me personally - a poor man who can't afford to buy fast has to build fast from nothing . . that's where the knowledge comes from and that's what interests me.

I'm happy to send info their way if it helps to educate, though . . I've not signed up to their forums for the same reason I didn't sign up to pistonheads . . . there's some cool guys there, but plenty of know-nothing opinionated ar$eholes, too.

Hmm, thats an interesting view point and I'll put it to them. Though I gotta say there is a lot more going on than that. The key thing they do is organise meets, convoys and just love anything V8, the facebook feed is probably quite quiet at the moment as not a lot of people are out doing stuff. I know today photos of Perry Stephenson's crazy MGB V8 got posted and that thing defines a man with knowledge building a 9 second car.

There is also a number of them in the group that are building their own cars and spannering on them. This winter the guy with the 67 Mustang is doing a twin turbo conversion on it. I know if it wasn't for this lot I wouldn't be doing this engine swap, and they've all offered to help out. When I finally pull my finger out and get a date sorted you can come over and have a chat as they're a proper nice friendly bunch.

Should also add it is through doing write up like ones about your Caddy or Camaro that could inspire someone to do the same to their own.

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #382 on: December 18, 2013, 10:38:59 am »
The key thing they do is organise meets, convoys and just love anything V8

I agree with that 100% - hats off to them for that, too.

I know today photos of Perry Stephenson's crazy MGB V8 got posted and that thing defines a man with knowledge building a 9 second car.

Saw that.  Zoomies on the street - as long as he keeps that blower going or his exhaust valves won't last long !
Very cool bit of engineering, although looks like crap, IMO.

There is also a number of them in the group that are building their own cars and spannering on them.

This is what you don't see on Facebook (arguably their biggest public forum) . . .

Should also add it is through doing write up like ones about your Caddy or Camaro that could inspire someone to do the same to their own.

Yeah, hence my comment about educating.

I suppose, at the end of the day, I've been around the "scene" since I was about 8 . . so 26 years.  I, like a lot on here, had to go through the bull$hit that was Harry Tune and his F*cked up little band of fun-wreckers.

It's probably made me very jaded over the whole U.K scene and has also made me quite specific (maybe narrow-minded ) in what I want to do with regards to my vehicles, too.

The scene needs enthusiastic (and dare I say it "young") people to carry it forward.

It's sad to say but I feel my time has passed on that kinda thing.  

I'm genuinely happy to advise and physically help out where I can . . . I just don't get excited about the U.K scene anymore and struggle to get interested in the U.K forums.  

I'll start a new thread when I begin the Cadillac as I'm hoping the whole process will be a lot more organised and so be more helpful to others.
The Camaro was an absolute shambles and the best example of how not to set-about doing a project !!

Andy

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:48 am »
Agree with the Facebook thing and I will pass that along, I know I hope to write up a piece about my car, and their website now features an area where you can write a blog about your car, which is a nice touch.

Regards Perry's car, that's soley a RWYB thing, and has been a great progression to watch this last season. Having now got the thing to run pretty consistent 9's he's now looking at ways to make it go faster. The zoomies are for ground clearence at the launch, but each to their own.

I guess the whole scene has changed though, I know my dad harks on about the days in drag racing when you would do everything yourself. You'd make up your own roll cage, cobble together some ludicrous tranny and engine combo and then fit it in whatever carcass of a car you had. Now it seems a lot of people are just asking the big three to make them a racecar that's turn key, which is great if you can afford it.

These guys are trying to just cater for anyone who has a passion for V8s and is looking for some like minded people. Some are drag racers, some are into NASCAR and stock cars, some just like luxurious saloons. I'm not going to lie, there is a lot of Monaros in the group, but the last time we all met up at the pod I learnt so much off a guy there about EFI Live, how to review your captured data and then how to use that information to better launch, and better ETs and Speeds, it was well worth it.

The guys I'm sure would chomp at the bit to feature your car as a build. They're building a hot rod at the moment which utilises BMW running gear which should be controversial, and will be doing a feature on this twin turbo Mustang.

The UK Power Tour next year should be fun too, and you have to give then credit for organising something I know I could afford to see or do in the states over here. Plus your beast would look awesome taking part in it ;)

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2013, 11:29:04 am »
Plus your beast would look awesome taking part in it

I've still got it in mind but have to think about the nipper as well as car-related issues.

Back on topic, I've heard back from my builder who's sent me a spec and price . . . I'm just tweeking a couple of bits and waiting on some further info.

I'm getting quite excited.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »
I'm getting quite excited.

Is that what that smell is?

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #386 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:15 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Is that what that smell is?

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2013, 09:06:16 am »
Here you go Dean, as discussed last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ecq8MNfk0

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #388 on: December 20, 2013, 09:46:28 am »
Quote from: Titsy
Here you go Dean, as discussed last night:

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ecq8MNfk0</div>

Very cool.  Albeit having no physical experience with Solidworks and next-to-no experience with excel about 95% of that video was beyond me.

Looked pretty, though.

This other video caught my attention after that . . .

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #389 on: December 20, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
This other video caught my attention after that . .

Shiny

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #390 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:37 am »
nice shiny welding...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #391 on: December 20, 2013, 11:35:28 am »
Back on the topic (again) -

I've now pretty-much got the engine specs and prices sorted.  

We're just discussing payment and shipping

Also chatted to Clive at Stromberg regarding my proposed intake and doing a P/X + cash deal on 6 shiny new '97's.

Just gotta rob that bank, now . . .

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #392 on: January 03, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »
Daily emails between myself and Stromberg . . . I'm nearly ready to close this thread and start a proper project-thread.

In a nutshell the motor will be the only one like it . . . that could be a good or bad thing . . . but I'm thinking positively !

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #393 on: January 03, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #394 on: January 03, 2014, 02:41:02 pm »
Some specs :

500ci Big Block Cadillac / TH400 combo

4.340" Bore (Stock +40 thou)
4.304" Stroke (Stock)

= 8347cc / 8.35 litres / 509ci . . .

Compression Ratio around 10.5 : 1

That is all . . . for now.  

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »
The first order has been placed (for intake manifold parts) so this Project is officially started !!!

The intake / carbs set-up is sorted and price agreed . . . I'll post more on that later.

The engine specs are 90% there . . . I've changed my mind on valve covers (minor) but the main thing I'm stewing over is to go for ported iron heads or ported ally ?

It's a massive difference in cost but the ally ones ARE what I want . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
ported ally ?

Doooooo it.... you know you will only end up doing it in a few years so save yerself the hassle and do it now

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2014, 05:29:21 pm »

This is your 'keeper' car isn't it?

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #398 on: January 07, 2014, 05:34:11 pm »
I've sent the guy another email asking for the exact price difference for that reason.

Have also asked about upping the cam too.

We've got a couple of minor things to sort but I'll be looking to put a deposit down later this month.

The plans for the Cadillac this year are simple :

i) Buy Engine,
ii) Buy Intake manifold and Carbs,
iii) Buy Transmission,
iv) Buy Air Ride Kit

I don't actually plan any work until I've paid for all of that . . . I figure that's probably 50-75% of the total cost of the resto so it makes sense getting it out of the way.

The only work I *need* to do is remove the engine once the intake is ready for collection as I'm part-ex'ing it against the intake and carbs . . .

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:50 am »
The only work I *need* to do is ...

No rust or welding?

What about the wiring loom?