Author Topic: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac  (Read 17865 times)

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:02 am »
I mean *this* year . . . .

The Camaro took 6-7 years to do . . . The Cadillac (which will be FAR more involved) I'm hoping to finish in under 4 years . . .

2014 will be :

Quoting: Roadkill
The plans for the Cadillac this year are simple :

i) Buy Engine,
ii) Buy Intake manifold and Carbs,
iii) Buy Transmission,
iv) Buy Air Ride Kit

Basically more "buying", less "doing" . . .

The last comment on the work I need to do is referring to this year only . . . Meaning I can still physically carry on using the Cadillac while all that's going on . . .

Some point in early autumn will be when I plan to pull the motor - but that's all I *plan* to do this year . . .

2015 will be more "doing", less "buying" . . . . hopefully.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2014, 11:25:13 am »
Aha, that makes sense.

It was beginning to sound like a very short project!
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #402 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:25 am »
Watch this :

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/HP2012-03/the-caddy-500-other-engine-build-up

It's a highly interesting and educational film but why you ask ?

I'll tell you later.

Roadkill

Re: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2015, 09:31:32 am »
Tyres.

The tyres on the Caddy are OLD !

They're 235x75 R15's which is great as I like meaty tyres but after checking the rim width this weekend and after doing a few calculations, I find that 235's shouldn't even be on those rims ! - 225's are the biggest and even then quite "bloated".

So, long story short, I decided I'm not running the (40 year) old tyres anymore as I don't drive particularly slow and don't want one blowing out on me.

That said, I'm not sure what rim size I'm going for long term (I'd like 17's providing I can get whitewalls to suit) so I've gone for some cheap new ones with a reasonably thick white band. 

No, they're not going to be the best but I got them for just under £400 (they were on 10% off at Northants Tyres), she'll probably handle better and wallow less, I'll (hopefully) be able to fit the rears fully inflated (couldn't before) AND I'll have crack-free tyres.

I'm really quite excited as I'll treat the rims to a coat of paint and test some ideas I've been having for the "final look".

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2015, 06:04:28 pm »
(40 year) old tyres

:eek: :jaw:
I bet it'll make a huge difference.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

« Reply #405 on: April 28, 2015, 08:33:15 am »
Got the new (budget) white walls fitted yesterday.

She's noticeably smoother, quieter and handles corners much better (gave her some serious beans last night).

Worlds apart.  I wish I'd done it earlier !

Also found a partly clogged jet in the carb which I managed to clear and re-direct in situ . . . so she's running much, much better now, too.

I think the vacuum advance on the dizzy is shot so that'll be next on the list . . . . if there is a list . . . . It depends.