Author Topic: Project - Man Cave  (Read 5246 times)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Man Cave
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:24:37 pm »
I've decided that I want to build myself a custom desk for PC Gaming, this is going to tie in over the next year with my next PC upgrade and also playing some new games in a more 'sim' kind of genre, I've recently decided to play Star Citizen when that comes out, and with Next Car game coming out as well this year I will also be buying a steering wheel setup for the PC.

So this led to thoughts of building a more Sim-Cockpit kind of desk to accommodate these extra game controllers.

The flight controller I bought is this one:

and I intend to buy a decent steering wheel setup later this year so the desk needs to be compatible with both Flying and Driving controllers as well as for normal Mouse & Keyboard PC use as FPS games.

It also needs to be capable of taking a Triple-monitor setup incas that's what I decide to bung a ton of money on in the future!

<u>So Step one: The Chair</u>
Everyone tends to use Recaro style racing seats for these sort of things, but I wanted something more comfortable as the chair will be integrated into the Corner desk.  I also didn't want a Leather seat because after a few hrs of gaming the threat of Betty Swollocks will be too high.

What I got was this: A 1/2 Leather Passenger Seat from a 2001 Peugeot 306 Meridian   Its comfy, looks good and is in good condition for its age because its a Passenger seat, cost? £35
Bargain!

<a href=\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/ryanbudd/GamingDesk1_zps958f4650.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> .

<u>Step 2: The overall design</u>
I've taken some design inspiration from this guy:
<a href=\"http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/12122-terryreds-race-flight-simpit-with-a-rotating-console-three-42-inch-tvs-27-inch-accessory-display-logitech-g25-saitek-x52pro-freetrack-etc/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/12122-terryreds-race-flight-simpit-with-a-rotating-console-three-42-inch-tvs-27-inch-accessory-display-logitech-g25-saitek-x52pro-freetrack-etc/</a>

But I want it to be a bit smaller than this and also be one complete unit.
This is my initial design:

<a href=\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/ryanbudd/Design_zps9df1bff3.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> (No that's not happening!!)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:49:24 am by Roadkill »

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:31:48 pm »
Nice

Keep us updated.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
One thing I do need, for as cheap as possible, is 3 or 4 3m lengths of 38mm Kitchen worktops to make the desk surfaces with.  

something like this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/worktop-grey-slate-granite-3m/invt/213092/

but not £124 each!!
I only need that many of them because of where the nice rounded edges need to be.
If anyone has any ideas where I can get these cheaper that would be much appreciated.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:22:51 pm »
looks a fun, interesting project!!!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:07:59 pm »
Looking at this bit of kit as well, these are the same type of kit they fit in D-Box style cinema seats for "That 4D experience"...

http://www.buttkickergear.com/ButtKicker_Simulation_Kit_p/bk-sk.htm

this would mean that I wouldn't need to put the subwoofer under the chair meaning I can make the whole desk a bit lower.

Roadkill

Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:13 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
One thing I do need, for as cheap as possible, is 3 or 4 3m lengths of 38mm Kitchen worktops to make the desk surfaces with.

I only need that many of them because of where the nice rounded edges need to be.

I had a quick look at the sketch and saw maybe 3.  I got ours for the kitchen in B&Q (I hate B&Q) but they worked out cheaper . . . plus on Wednesday evenings OAP's get 10% off.

You won't get much cheaper.  I'm quoting a job at the moment for work where I might've been able to loose 1-2 lengths but I know the customer wants a lighter colour than that.

Looking at the sketch, you've got the outer dimensions at 1.6m . . . if I'm reading that right, of course . . . If you reduce them to 1.5m that'd be the main surface (from what I understand) out of one bit.  

Also -

Look at splash-backs : http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/kitchens/kitchen-splashbacks/laminate_splashbacks for the sides (maybe).

The boards are thinner so would work in places where you only need the flat surface for show - (like in-filling) and they work out cheaper per m2.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:25:08 am »
ikea do great worktops, worth looking at :)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:39:07 pm »
Well I've done a bit of checking at B&Q today & the lower desk height is now set at 490mm

This is because they're Maple coloured contiboard which I will make the verticals from on the base is 450mm wide & will then have the 40mm worktops on it.  So with that decided I adjusted the stand i'd mocked up for the chair and fixed it all together.

The stand is 240mm high.  I've put it next to one of my dining chairs for comparison:

Now I have a question for anyone who knows lots about Audio setups:
I mentioned before about the Buttkickers I found out about.  This would be pretty cool.  So these things work by taking the subwoofer channel and using that to generate 'force feedback'

These are cheaper:
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/378979/Sinustec-ST-BS-100-cm-Ohm

& they do amps like this that I can mount in the desk somewhere:
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/300518/Conrad-Active-150W-Integrated-amplifier-module

This is sort of what I think might work, but I want to know if its possible, any ideas on hardware needed and the costs.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:03:07 am »
Is a 'Receiver' the same as an amp / AV Receiver?

Andy

Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
Interesting project!

My mates goal when he buys a house is to convert one room into a full blown flight sim, hopefully being as realistic as possible.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 01:06:44 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Is a 'Receiver' the same as an amp / AV Receiver?

Sorry yes, probably just my bad jargon.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:15 am »
Okay!

That was going to be my first suggestion, but you are already using one

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »
I deleted the original content of this post because I figured it out..

Here's how i'm going to run the sound & force feedback system.

The 5.1 Optical output from the PC is going to go into this little box:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CYP-AU-D2-Digital-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00261SOMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395860600&sr=8-2&keywords=cyp+coaxial+to+optical

This takes the optical input signal and outputs both a 5.1 Digital coaxial signal and a 5.1 Optical signal.  Its essentially a splitter

The 5.1 Optical signal then goes to a surround amplifier sort of like this:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht-199/yama-yht199 and behaves totally normally.

The 5.1 Digital coaxial signal then goes to this little box:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keedox-5-1-Channel-Theater-Decoder-Digital/dp/B00CTJ42UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395860576&sr=8-1&keywords=%27Keedox+5.1-Channel+DTS%2FAC-3+Home+Theater+Audio+Decoder

Which splits it out into its 6 individual channels, each with its own Phono Output.  I then only connect the Subwoofer output via a Phono Cable to a different Buttkicker amplifier which runs the force feedback Transducers.
Done

This will give me separate control of the Speaker Volume and the Transducer Intensity and will also allow me to use the force feedback when i'm using headphones.

The only downside?  This system requires a 4-Gang extension lead all to itself as both "boxes of tricks" and both amps need plugging in!!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:49 am »
I don't see a beer cooler in those specs!! Not even a cup holder!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
Quoting: Incursus
I don't see a beer cooler in those specs!! Not even a cup holder!  

I'm also trying to find a way to integrate one of these:
http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=8585&catID=935&name=Frostbite+Mini+Fridge+Black
if I can manage this the only thing this desk won't have is a Toilet!!  (No that's not happening!!)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 07:56:57 pm »

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 10:12:04 pm »
Ok, I changed the design a bit to make this fit in with the existing furniture that's in the spare room already.

This is to scale, 1 pixel = 1mm () although this pic is not full size.
The only thing that I haven't finalised yet is exactly how far the chair will be from the higher desk surface, this will require some "playtesting" to get right.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:54 am »
So, can you spin around on the chair and be surrounded on three sides by a desk?

What goes on the left and right desks?

Tissues on the right side, bin on the left?

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:48 am »
Tissues on the right side, bin on the left?

No, the other way around.

So, can you spin around on the chair and be surrounded on three sides by a desk?

The chair doesn't spin, to "get in" you have to step up & over the lower desk then down into the "cockpit area" (unless you're my parent's Westie in which case you sneek in under the chair... she needs somewhere to hide from fireworks!! )

The alternative would be to mount the chair on rollers so it can slide in & out, however this would need to be lockable so you don't slide around when using the various pedal setups.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:39 am »
Would you have enough room for a rail under the seat that extends backward? Effectively like adjusting a car seat but uber long so that it goes far enough back to clear the desk...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:51 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
Would you have enough room for a rail under the seat that extends backward? Effectively like adjusting a car seat but uber long so that it goes far enough back to clear the desk...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »
The standard rails are still on the seat itself so it has 21cm of adjustment.  I tested my current desk and from the mocked up "Simulator" position I moved my seat 17cm forward to be in the right position for typing / playing FPS games.

Its default position is all the way back, to allow better access to the "cockpit" area.

The reason for the "up & over" access method was purely down to this guy from the link I put in the original post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baj5jWFpU64

Although his setup is lower than mine will be I think, 49cm is quite a step up.

I'll see, I'd rather not have the seat sliding in & out all the time as the carpet will wear out very quick (default builders carpet is Shit!) & having any tracks / rails / rotating combo is a bit too "Gerry Anderson" for my liking.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 06:40:38 pm »
how about one of these matey :)

I made it a few years back but it's for sale now ;)

It's a proper OMP seat mounted to a £350 office chair's frame!  It has the arms still and adjusts more ways than a cheap hooker!  Still has the full compliment of wheels too so would negate the need for long rails but you could take them off or figure a clamp to hold the chair still once in position.

How do you fancy that?

the chair... not a cheap hooker... although.... why choose.... anyway, that's for another thread!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 11:13:34 pm »
Convenient you had this for sale when you saw my thread

Seriously though, I'm pretty happy with the chair I've got TBH, i'll fettle with it & it'll work out pretty good I reckon.

On a separate note I've taken some advise from a friend at the pub who spent 40 years building train carriages in Wolverton & i'm now going to make the desk surfaces out of 2 sheets of ply (to get the thickness) & Formica laminate it myself.  will be tricky but I have an expert I can borrow and will mean I wont need to make the complex shapes out of jointed Pre-made worktop sections (which would be a nightmare!!)

Link dump:
http://www.topclasscarpentry.com/category/Laminate%20Sheets/1/

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Project - Gaming Desk
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 05:24:55 pm »
Found this on Reddit today: