Author Topic: Fascia board replacement..  (Read 1380 times)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Fascia board replacement..
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:29:58 am »
I'm looking at replacing the Fascia Boards on the Garage as they've rotted in places.  I've never done it before so any tips?

From what I know they're basically wooden planks nailed to the roof rafters...are they called rafters on a garage?..anyway.. I'm not sure how the Felt is a attached, maybe tacked/nailed? I don't see any but I've not been up a ladder and looked yet.
Would I need to replace the felt?
Most/All of the Fascia board replacements I've found on the interweb are plastic and slightly "L" shaped but the boards on the garage don't appear to be.. perhaps they're just thiner and the "L" at the bottom closes the gap to where the Soffit would normally be, or am I looking for the wrong thing?  Example
Any advice appreciated.

Some pics.

Ta.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:34:37 am »
Top tip is go uPVC! I think you can get everything you need from Wickes and it will be far less faff.

I can lend you a miter circular saw (good for plastic or wood) whichever way you intend to do it as it will speed up the job no end.

EDIT

The L-Shape is intended to cap a wooden board, which means you don't have to faff to with finishing it so long as you have treated timber.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:37:52 am »
Quoting: Titsy
Top tip is go uPVC! I think you can get everything you need from Wickes and it will be far less faff.

Yup I was planning too as you say less hassle and would match the house, I'm just not sure about the "L" shape part.

I can lend you a miter circular saw (

Ta muchly

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:40:25 am »
The L-Shape is intended to cap a wooden board, which means you don't have to faff to with finishing it so long as you have treated timber.

So there is another wooden board behind the Fascia?

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:38 am »
No, the L-shape is intended to cap existing fascia boards. But if yours are rotten then you could simply replace them with treated timber and then cap them with uPVC so that you don't have the faff of all that gloss work and the maintenance is practically non-existent.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:49:46 am »
No, the L-shape is intended to cap existing fascia boards. But if yours are rotten then you could simply replace them with treated timber and then cap them with uPVC so that you don't have the faff of all that gloss work and the maintenance is practically non-existent.

Righto. The way I read it the 9mm replacement boards went over the existing wood boards but the 18mm boards are complete replacement.  But what you say makes more sense.

Quoting: Wickes
"High-quality fascia board is ideal for new homes and as a replacement for old fascia. Easy to fit and low maintenance with no painting required

Designed to completly replace timber timber fascia boards
Can also be used as window board
Virtually maintainance free and rot proof
Perfectly colour matched across the range
PVCu
BBA approved fascia related system"

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:28 am »
I see what your saying but can't see how that would work out... I think you'd need to pull a board off to be sure.

Edit, I think as you have said, the l is normally intended to hold a soffit, but with no soffits I think I would do it the way I have already suggested.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:59:32 am »
I see what your saying but can't see how that would work out...

Indeed, hence my confusion.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
you will probably find the felt is nailed on to the top of the wooden fascia
then folded back up onto the roof..
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:06:03 pm »
agree with Artb, looks like a folded joint from the pictures. Carefully pull it up and you 'might' get away without it cracking along the top edge, pull the board off the ends of the rafters - they'll come through the wall to nail the board to. If you tear it too much you'll either have to replace it or patch it.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 06:45:26 am »
Cheers guys.  I've not had a chance to get up the ladder yet but I'm a bit more confident about doing it now.