Author Topic: EDGE's Saleen  (Read 11966 times)

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« on: March 31, 2007, 12:04:25 am »
Well... seeing as I've had the car for a few years now, I thought it was worth making one of these threads that I can keep updated with new happenings..

So, I bought the car back in late 2004, and started fiddling almost immediately.... (typical)  The car is a 1996 Saleen S281, number 96-005 and one of only 2 Saleen Coupes ever made in "tangerine clearcoat".  The car was first owned by Jon Walker of Saleen-Allen Racelab in Irvine CA.  He worked in development as far as I can find out.  The blower installed on the car was designed for a 302 fox body but was fettled to fit the brand new modular motor that was installed in the mustang in 1996!!  The blower was a prototype fitment by Saleen to decide on what blowers to install in the later S281-SC cars

Here's the car when I first got it home...

and here is the big box of stuff that I ordered to fit.. lower control arm, matching uppers, off road h pipe, steeda clutch gear, sct pro racer pack (which allows me to map the ecu!!) and a few other little bits...

So with that lot installed (along with the saleen prototype blower already on there)

i drove around with no issues, at the track, on the street, everything was kushty

That was until I installed the methanol injection kit....

This didn't cause any problem as such, just showed a weakness in the Saleen blower hosing.  This kept blowering off under closed throttle (at 5k plus) as the blower became more efficient and was now producing more boost.

This continual mapping and methanol injection fiddling became the subject for my uni dissertation (and netted me a double first).  I am writting an article for RaceCar Engineering on the methanol system at the moment too...

So, after ages of fiddling with the original saleen blower I decided to go bigger... obviously.  After much research I ordered a Paxton Novi 2000.  This is the big one, it'll do 35psi if you ask it nicely and will quite happily support over 1000hp motors, so it'd do for mine... here's where the fun started....

The blower on the car origianlly was installed by Saleen just after the car was built and it was done fairly well.  It was obvious once I started removing it though, that it was never designed for this motor.  The blower in a fox body bay sits in an area of space that just doesnt exist on an sn95.  A large hole was cut in the inner fender for the blower to sit in...

After removing ALL of the old blower setup... and there was a lot of it, believe me... I made a new inner wind frome zintec steal and sprayed it to match the engine bay (I'll have to get a pic of that)...

I then started the novi2000 blower install
(these were when i was test fitting hence the inner fender still has the hole)

you can see that the blower is way bigger than the old one... heres a shot of the novi 2000 alone..

compared to the older blower:

So.. in being bigger and better, this caused 2 other problems...

radiator getting in the way on the inlet...

air con. lines just plain in the way..... these were adjusted out of the way...

the elbow needed a lot of fiddling to fit though... mainly to the rad support and fan shroud..

this allowed the elbow to fit all hunkey-dorey...

unfortunately, this is where I stopped taking pictures of each step and just tried to get it finished.... I'm going to get some more pictures tomorrow as it should be out of the garage in the first time in 6 months !!! wooohoooooooooooooooooooo I'm SO looking forward to it....

wow..... long first post

powermite

• View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 09:26:55 am »
hey edge

The rear seta of that 'stang sure looks comfy,even got room for a dining room table and chairs!
Great looking car

PM

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:36:40 am »
lol... ta muchly dude

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 11:05:54 am »
This car rocks.....

The reason I always rib you about it is simply because I feel A car of this stature needs to be driven! Im sure once it's out of your garage, it will rock again! good luck with it, I can't wait to see it in the flesh again

Im also glad you have sorted the blower out, that was annoying me, and it wasn't even my car!!!!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:41:11 pm »
Quoting: Fieldy
Im also glad you have sorted the blower out, that was annoying me, and it wasn't even my car!!!!

LOL - I know the feeling !

I hope your not going to over boast that motor

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:55:59 pm »
That is a big blower!!

Hope all goes well m8
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

VIPER

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukviperclub.org
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 11:32:50 pm »
There is a novi 2000 on a viper in the UK and it has 960RWHP and done the standing 1.5 mile at 217.6 mph......and 10.35 at 146 in the quarter...
So that pony just became a race horse....
Baz

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 12:58:59 am »
Quoting: VIPER
So that pony just became a race horse....

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:39:29 am »
Be good to see her up and running again, Mate.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:28:41 am »
tell me about it....

I pulled the Saleen out of the garage on Saturday, the mapping that was fine is now a bit off.... i think the battery has gone flat and only just started the car, the alternator was probably drawing far too much and the compensation tables are off...

just a few odds and ends to finish off and then i can take her round the block to map the part throttle...

sounds absolutely mental !!!!!!! the blower whines and whistles like a banshee... then it spins down like a jet engine when you turn it off..... happy bunny.....

only issue so far is that the blower seems to be leaking a small amount of oil.... I've taken a look at it and it seems to be leaking from the pressurised oil feed.  I took it apart and checked the copper washers and they seem ok... i torqued it all back together and it went in far further... we'll see what happens next time i start her up....

hopefully i can map the idle tonight, again... I have had the battery on trickle charge since saturday so it should be topped up by tonight.

I'll make the effort to get some pictures of the finished installation too, if it's not too dark...

I was aiming to have the whole thing done by Rockingham, but I dont think I can get to the dyno in time I'tll be going as soon as possible though

Roadkill

EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:18 am »
Quoting: EDGE
sounds absolutely mental !!!!!!! the blower whines and whistles like a banshee... then it spins down like a jet engine when you turn it off..... happy bunny.....

only issue so far is that the blower seems to be leaking a small amount of oil....

No araldite, No ?

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 10:13:44 am »
lol... no adhesives in my oil system boyo !

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 10:41:53 am »
I took it apart

Some people never learn...

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 11:36:43 am »
Quoting: Pod
I took it apart

Ain't that the truth LOL

Took the bike down to get a spare spark plug on Saturday, took the old plug out an they matched it to an NGK.
Put the plug back in and it wouldn't start ?
Spent nearly an hour mucking about and then put the new plug in and it fired first time
So wasted an hour and had to buy another spare plug DOH !

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 12:23:59 pm »
Quoting: F Body
Quoting: PodI took it apart

Ain't that the truth LOL

typical negativity banana boy

i know exactly what im doing, more than can be said about most spanner monkeys...

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:59:25 pm »
here's a video clip of a very strage coincidence,

another 1996 tangerine mustang (remember, there were only 829 of these made) with the same blower as me and the same fender badges that are non standard !!!!!!!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/novi+2000/0/774adeb7-997f-4772-929a-7c64eb6b9299.htm

mine sounds kinda the same....

Roadkill

EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 01:11:59 pm »
Sounds cool.

When are you starting the Enfield meets back up ?

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 01:58:06 pm »
well... i was going to start in april but the weather forcast looked iffy, so I'll be starting up in May which gives me 6 weeks to drum up interest.  I should be doing a flyer this week...

Photochop FTW !!!!

Roadkill

EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 02:10:39 pm »
May's looking pretty clear ATM . . .

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 07:11:33 pm »
Quoting: F Body
Quoting: PodI took it apart

Ain't that the truth LOL

typical negativity banana boy

i know exactly what im doing, more than can be said about most spanner monkeys...

well... the oil leak is fixed

still got a bit of a cyclic idle though, between 885 and 920 rpm.. not a big cycle but enough to piss mee off.

Just a few hoses to finish up still, i tried a few ideas but it soon got dark, so pulled it back in to the garage.

Oh well.. tomorrow's another day

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 10:56:20 am »
Arse biscuits !!!!

looks like the new blower has to go back to paxton, i think it has a knackered bearing....

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3060312304818613143

it's gonna cost about £160 to get it back to them, then 10 days for them to do what they need to do with it, then another week to get it back to me... good job i didnt buy that ticket for rockingham

Fooking thing... still... at leat I didn't break it

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 11:42:54 am »
Doh dont sound too healthy!!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 11:48:50 am »
Quoting: ianjpage
Doh dont sound too healthy!!

Almost sounds as bad as the engine in the Trans Am I sold to 55Starchief & Shifty

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 11:54:52 am »
not ideal is it really....

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Saleen
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:43 am »
not ideal is it really....

Well it is a "Ford"

So the race is still on to see if "Tangerine Man" can get his car back onto the road before " Banana Boy "