Author Topic: EDGE's Model Saleen  (Read 877 times)

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:39:39 am »
Well...

I spent ages trying to find an 18th scale 96-98 Saleen S281.... wasn't happening.. they only made the s351 in white or yellow, and it has a different bonnet, spoiler and wheels...

so... here's what i bought:

high pedestal spoiler, groove down the middle of each alloy spoke and a heavily vented bonnet...

so....

Looked like it'd never go back together !!!

Each part was modiffied with chemical metal (less sinkage) and then rubbed down thoroughly... then coated in plastic or metal primer as appropriate, wet sanded up to 1200 grit, then primed and wet sanded again, at least 3 times per piece..

I then had the local car paint place mix up a few tins of "Ford America Tangerine Clear Coat" and gave everything a coating of that !!  The wheels were sprayed with actual alloy wheel paint.

The body panels were then wet sanded again and they had another coat of tangerine, then 3 coats of laquer...

here it is at the moment, notice the hood vents have gone, the alloys are nearly finished and the spoiler is mounted far lower...

The laquer now needs flatting back and the graphics need to be produced and fitted..

It looks better in real life, the pictures aren't much cop...

EDGE

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:44:25 pm »
Quoting: EDGE
The laquer now needs flatting back and the graphics need to be produced and fitted..

Looks pretty good and the windscreen graphic is cool
Don't forget to cut the mother of all holes in the inner wing though

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 05:15:41 pm »
Quoting: EDGE
Each part was modiffied with chemical metal (less sinkage) and then rubbed down thoroughly... then coated in plastic or metal primer as appropriate, wet sanded up to 1200 grit, then primed and wet sanded again, at least 3 times per piece..

I then had the local car paint place mix up a few tins of "Ford America Tangerine Clear Coat" and gave everything a coating of that !! The wheels were sprayed with actual alloy wheel paint.

The body panels were then wet sanded again and they had another coat of tangerine, then 3 coats of laquer...

Wow thats way more effort than I have ever put into painting a model kit...  it does look good though.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:52:19 pm »
Looks cool

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:37:41 pm »
very nicely done mate!!

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:50:18 am »
that is so cool

Nice work!

Roadkill

EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 01:38:38 pm »
Now to get the real one all sorted.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 01:39:40 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill

Now to get the real one all sorted.

HAHAHAH

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
EDGE's Model Saleen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:02:44 pm »
cheers guys...

the real one is sorted.... just now it needs a new idler pulley... which i WILL order tonight !!!