Author Topic: Camaro Suspension advice  (Read 1321 times)

Banjo

• View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« on: June 18, 2007, 03:43:21 pm »
Is this kit worth getting for my boat - sorry, car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Poly-Race-Body-Mount-Set-Chevy-Camaro-80-81_W0QQitemZ8046969811QQihZ019QQcategoryZ42609QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I was also going to get some solid body bushings and 'subframe connnectors a la Rocky'. What do y'all think?

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:50:08 pm »
Not my area of expertise, but I seem to remember somebody posting to stay away from Polybushing a Yank

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »
Polybushes squeak a lot and transfer more vibration into the cabin than rubber ones.

Anything that has polybushes should have zerk fittings in them so you can grease them regularly to keep the noise down by stopping them from binding.

Greasing regularly is too much work imho so I'd either live with the squeaks or just use good old rubber ones...

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:58:20 pm »
All the stuff I've read is stay away from Poly for articulated suspension joints - i.e. A-arms.

I was going to put rubber in mine when swapping (new rubber is a massive improvement on old).  

The reason I'm not is that I have a spare set of arms that already have the poly installed.  I will put them in to see what I think of the ride.  If it's too harsh, I'll swap the rubber in.
If I find I like it, I'll be looking for the Del-Alum ones instead.

Banjo

• View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:07:32 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I have read that I definitely need to put solid body bushings in if I'm going for subframe connectors, is that right? I know Jamie has SFCs and swear by them...

Roadkill

Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:15:26 pm »
Quoting: Banjo
I have read that I definitely need to put solid body bushings in if I'm going for subframe connectors

SFC's don't rely on bushings . . . AFAIK, anyway.

I know Jamie has SFCs and swear by them...

SFC's are probably the best single thing you can do to an F-Body - especially one with T-Tops - IMO.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 04:45:35 pm »
1 word... Spohn

www.spohn.net
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rocky

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 07:04:05 pm »
It will help if you poly bush the subframe shouldnt get much squeek, its mainly a-arms, control arms and anti roll bars that do, but most companies use graphite in the bush to minimise noise. If you do poly bush you have to do the lot or the oem bushes will not last long. You can fit anything with SFC's. Depends what kind of ride you want but if you want it as good as a corvette you have to spend some serious £££££

Banjo

• View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 07:22:34 pm »
I think I'd better get the parts I've already bought on the car before I get into doing the suspension, it's a bigger more expensive job than I first realised!
When I replace the cam and timing chain is it advisable to get new pushrods and rocker arms or can I use the stock ones (provided they're in good shape of course)?

Roadkill

Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:10:27 pm »
it's a bigger more expensive job than I first realised!  

Yep, hence I've just burn't over £4,000 on my third gen.

<shudder>

Yeah, that much.

It'll be the mutts when it's done, though.

Behave, you !

I 100% recommend Spohn but as you've realised - It's an expensive task and the result is directly proportional to how stupid you are much money you spend.

Banjo

• View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 11:12:57 pm »
£4000?!

Wow. I take it that includes the hovercraft skirt and turbines...

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 07:56:11 am »
If you're putting SFC's on, you want to put poly (they won't squeek as they don't rotate) or solid body bushings, and get them done before you have the SFC's in, as I'm not sure if it's possible to change them now the SFCs are welded to the body.

When I replace the cam and timing chain is it advisable to get new pushrods and rocker arms or can I use the stock ones (provided they're in good shape of course)?

They can be re-used if required. (I'm assuming your'e putting in new lifters with the cam)

Roadkill

Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:35 am »
I take it that includes the hovercraft skirt and turbines...

I opted for the smoke screen and front mounted machine guns.

Banjo

• View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 11:04:25 am »
Yeah, I have new lifters, thanks Jamie.

Cool RK, you got the smoke screen and guns? Couldn't afford those, went for an oil leak and mis-aligned headlights instead. Can have a similar effect on other road users though...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 11:19:17 am »
Cool RK, you got the smoke screen and guns? Couldn't afford those, went for an oil leak and mis-aligned headlights instead. Can have a similar effect on other road users though...

:pmsl:

Roadkill

Camaro Suspension advice
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 11:20:24 am »
Quoting: Titsy
:pmsl: