Author Topic: Dam transmission oil leak "again".  (Read 688 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Dam transmission oil leak "again".
« on: September 23, 2006, 03:32:09 pm »
Got the Camaro out of the garage this afternoon and there was transmission oil on the garage floor.
Wiped the transmission pan and went out for a 30 mile drive, got back and there was a couple of little drips on the pan
I've changed the gasket a couple of times to stop it leaking before, finding out that a thick cork gasket and silicone gasket sealer is the way to go.
The current gasket has been on nearly two years without a dribble until today, when I got back I jacked the car up and just nipped ( 1 flat ) the bolts up.
There are only susposed to be tightened 8ftlb which is barley more than finger tight.
Suppose one of the associated problems will also be lack of use ?
The old girl hasn't been out for nearly a month because I've been too busy, if the weather holds I might take her to the Bedford cruise tomorrow.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:04:35 pm »
Took her out this morning and nothing on the garage floor and the transmission pan was also dry
It would have to be nissing out before I get another red Dexron hair shampoo

Roadkill

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:06:11 am »
Quoting: F Body
There are only susposed to be tightened 8ftlb which is barley more than finger tight.

I pay little attention to recommended torques unless it's critical or "moving" parts.
eg. Critical=Head bolts and "Moving"=Mains bearings/caps.

A good engineer knows what feels right.  And anyone with half a brain can have a bloody good guess.

I think you're right to have nipped them up a tad.

Potential headache solved quickly, easily and cheaply.