Author Topic: Camaro cooling  (Read 695 times)

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Camaro cooling
« on: December 29, 2006, 12:06:14 pm »
My cooling isnt' quite right now, ever since I put the ally rad in.

It was OKish in the summer when the ambient temps were higher - running around 160-170, rising to maybe 180-185 in traffic.

Now in the winter, the car is bearly making it up to 150, and pushes to maybe 170 in bad traffic.

To combat this, I've stuffed a piece of cardboard in front of the rad with a hole cut in it.   One a run, it seems better, allowing temps up to about 170, but in the slower stuff it has gone up to 195.

I figure I could cut the hole bigger to lower the max temp, but this would also lower the average, so may not be the best option.  I think I need to work out how to get more air thorugh at idle/slow speeds.  There are some largish gaps around the cowl that I plan to enclose better to try and pull more air through the rad, but wondered if there are any other (cheap) options?  I'm running the stock clutch fan which appears to be in good order, and the stock cowl, that fits the fan well, but as stated above not ideally on the rad.

Roadkill

Camaro cooling
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:10:24 pm »
Keep the cardboard with the hole in it for winter driving but fit a leccy fan on a temp switch.

That'd sort it.

Even a cheap fan would do for now . . . certainly cost you less then £50.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Camaro cooling
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 12:14:02 pm »
You should really ditch the stock fan setup and fit an electric fan setup as Graeme posted previously... that way you only get fan assisted cooling when required....

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Camaro cooling
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 12:19:13 pm »
I've already seen the electric fan set-up I want, but thats $$$ and way off.

It needs to be really cheap, and easy to sort out. Any suggestions on what fan and where from?

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Camaro cooling
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:22:02 pm »
Get me the part number of your coolant temperature sensor and I might be able to knock together a fan controler in about an hour.... than you can use any old electric fan that fits the bill....