Author Topic: US Cash for Clunkers.  (Read 334 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
US Cash for Clunkers.
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:07:42 pm »
Why is it everything is bigger & better in the States

Exact details remain sketchy for now, but under the proposed legislation, new car buyers trading in an older vehicle that averages 18 miles per gallon or less will qualify for a voucher that's worth $3,500 if the new car gets at least 22 mpg and up to $4,500 if the new car manages at least ten mpg higher than the "clunker."

Trucks would also qualify for a voucher of $3,500 if the new vehicle gets at least two mpg better than the old one or $4,500 if the new truck manages five mpg better than the trade-in

Unlike some previous proposals, both foreign and U.S.-made models would qualify for the program. It's not yet clear how the bill would be funded, but it would reportedly be available for one full year and up to one million total new vehicles.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
US Cash for Clunkers.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »
Quoting: F Body
two mpg better than the old one

is that it!!! wow don't set your sights too high guys!!!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
US Cash for Clunkers.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:05:17 pm »
I think they should have set their mileage sights higher, I mean seriously, a huge rebate on a car that gets just 22mpg?  And another huge rebate on a truck that gets just 2mpg more then the clunker?

If Obama wanted to push new car sales while reducing oil consumption he should have set the bar higher than that I'd say the 25mpg minimum for a car with a good extra rebate if it does 30.

As for trucks, he should have set a figure for that too, trade in a carb/tbi truck for a sequential injection one (ie any truck) and you've easily gained 2mpg surely?  I don't know what truck figures are but I'd guess the bar should have been 18mpg and a higher one at 20mpg?