Author Topic: Ub3r thin lappy..  (Read 1455 times)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Ub3r thin lappy..
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 09:02:18 pm »
The problem isn't the heat of the battery itself charging (although that adds to the problem), it's the laptop itself generating heat that it can't get rid of which then heat soaks into the battery (amongst other things).  The hard drive, processor, memory chips and so on all add to the heat load.

The base of the laptop acts as a heatsink and of course there are ventilation holes and fans, and the duvet blocks those holes.

In case you don't notice the heat, the fans working flat out should be a clue.
If I use my MacBook Pro on a table both fans run at around 2,000rpm and nothing gets above 60degreesC (the processor and the ram chips get the closest).
If I use it on the duvet (or to a lesser extent my lap) the fans will cycle up to their full 5,000rpm+ and stuff begins to hit over 80degreesC.

I've killed 3 batteries in the MacBook by (I believe) doing that.  I also believe the problems reported by others are caused by the same actions.
My previous battery lasted a lot longer than the first two, but I was careful when I got that one to only use it on a table.  As the4 months went by I got complacent and started using it on my lap and on the duvet. Over the coming weeks the battery health indicator started to drop and drop and battery life dropped with it, eventually going from 4.5 hours on a full charge to just 2 hours.  This wasn't helped by the fans spinning faster than normal (even when I started using it on a table again) due to the heat from the failing battery.

Lithium Ion batteries are charged using very carefully controlled current and voltage, get it wrong they heat up and explode.  As such you can't over charge one, and it doesn't matter if you let it run down or not.  However, you should not let it run completely dead as a doornail flat, that will damage it.  There is a reserve built into the MacBook batteries to stop you from doing that (and probably others too).  You can start recharging at any point (as there is no memory effect unlike older NiMH type batteries) but it is considered good practice to charge them up fully and let them run down all the way (until the machine sleeps automatically) every once in a while.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Ub3r thin lappy..
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
I think its why they renamed laptops to notebooks, to stop people putting them on their laps and getting burnt by the hot battery, or the lappy breaking because of the heat build up due to lack of ventilation. Just keep them off your lap when you can and make sure the fan can breath..

Agreed.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Ub3r thin lappy..
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:18 pm »
My fans never really get above 2000rpm and temps stay aorund the 40-50 point with the bottom enclosure at 38

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Ub3r thin lappy..
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »
i will agree to disagree

but you are wrong

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Ub3r thin lappy..
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
My fans never really get above 2000rpm and temps stay aorund the 40-50 point with the bottom enclosure at 38

ANORAK ALERT !    ANORAK ALERT!    ANORAK ALERT.!!!!  
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Ub3r thin lappy..
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 07:32:12 pm »
Quoting: art b

ANORAK ALERT ! ANORAK ALERT! ANORAK ALERT.!!!!

Nope it tells me on a widget