Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 18369 times)

Roadkill

Re: Finally!
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2015, 11:37:19 am »
Adrian Flux . . . Got all three cars and bike with them - all fully comp.

Andy

« Reply #326 on: June 22, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »

I used to be a big Real Steel fan, but now cannot recommend Topspeed Automotive enough, open 7 days a week too.

Roadkill

« Reply #327 on: June 22, 2015, 01:52:33 pm »
Are you not using PCV ?

Andy

« Reply #328 on: June 22, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »
Yeah, I bunged those two in there as they came with the covers, will be sorting the PCV system out once I figure out what I'm feeding it with.

A friend has a Holley 650 BNIB that I think will work with it.

Roadkill

« Reply #329 on: June 22, 2015, 03:46:52 pm »
650cfm ?

No.  Too much (IMHO).  You'll never get it running right.

The muppet I bought my Camaro off (when it had a 305) had a big ole Holley on it (ran for 30 minutes only - I still have it) but never got it settled until he went smaller.

I've got an Edelbrock on the LT1 - not ideal but runs out of the box so perfect when there's lots of other variables - which I'll upgrade later.

You'd be better with a 500/550.

EDIT - Try this : http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/calcsandtools/cfm-calculator

Even my Cadillac 512ci, turning 5500 rpm could get away with a 650 (on the street, at least).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:51:17 pm by Roadkill »

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »
Dibs has a race car now though so a 650 will be OK. Ollie hasn't done much with it for years so if he lets you take it for a trial run might be worth it. (Just don't set fire to it)

Our fav american magazines opinion:
Quote (selected)
"If you are reluctant to trade top-end performance for all-around driveability, there are several cheats that will allow a larger-than-normal (for the given application and combo) carb to do a satisfactory driveability job. One important method is secondary actuation.

Normally a mild converter, weak rearend gears, and/or a heavy vehicle will call for a smaller carb to retain decent low-end performance. But we know the smaller carb restricts power upstairs. One possible solution: Run the larger carb, but with vacuum (instead of mechanical) secondaries. Vacuum secondaries won’t open until the engine needs the extra airflow. Assuming the vacuum secondaries are properly tuned with the appropriate-tension spring, the engine won’t bog even if you punch the throttle wide-open at low speed. But when there’s sufficient primary airflow to allow the diaphragm to open the secondaries, the engine is ready to accept the extra capacity. Grant says vacuum-secondary carbs work particularly well if running under 3.55:1 gears, the car weighs over 3,500 pounds, or if you have 8.5:1 or less compression."

As you have really low compression too it may be boarder-line but I like big carbs on stuff so I will be slightly biased.
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #331 on: June 24, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
I'm assuming, despite recent successes on the 1/4 mile, that most of the time (probably 90%) the car will still be on the street ?

I'm no expert so I'll wait and see how you get on . . .

I've got this currently sitting on my desk at work which I'm wondering what to do with.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 24, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »
Your desk is a mat? :huh:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #333 on: June 24, 2015, 03:26:06 pm »
Damn, busted.  Yeah, I actually don't have an office and instead just have a chair outside and an umbrella for when it rains.  :( 

How's that, then ?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:38:34 pm by Roadkill »