Author Topic: The "Point" to be demolished  (Read 895 times)

Roadkill

The "Point" to be demolished
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:07:22 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-26473529

Probably old news to some but still sad.

I'd hoped they'd keep the main building itself and re-furbish it but the whole thing is set to go.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Re: The "Point" to be demolished
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »
It is a bit sad i guess, but I won't be sorry to see it go.  It does have a nostalgic aspect to it for our generation who remember going there as kids & seeing our Favourite films but it is an ugly building with some very 'wierd' aspects to it.  It also takes up a Huge amount of land for not much benefit in terms of building space due to its shape which makes it unattractive to investors / tennants because the rents will be higher.

Its not quite good riddance from me, but its a definate goodbye.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:17 pm »
I think they should have knocked it down years ago, it's just gone to ruin.

Great memories of playing Time Crisis in the arcade bit though and watching films but, naaaaahhh
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:26:38 pm »
Just me then.

I agree totally that the spot is prime and the arrangement and shape of the building doesn't take full advantage of this but with the cinema part gone, the Point section itself is actually quite small, so the land behind could be developed and the point would become central to that new development.

I've always been a advocate of the expansion of Milton Keynes having seen it change (generally for the better) over the last 35 years BUT I'm starting to think it's loosing its way.

The latest plans will see the whole of Campbell park go - a step too far, IMO.

"The Point" was, without doubt, the first major landmark in Milton Keynes, putting the "new city" on the map and could be seen for miles, making MK instantly recognisable in the distance . . . . it's just a building, true, and fond memories skew  reality but we owe it more than that.  Simple.

Midsummer place was built around that old Oak tree, rather than over it as the tree stood for something (ironic as it's now dead) - in reality in meant nothing - but the point (which is arguably more famous and well-remembered) will be bulldozed.

It looks like crap as it's not been looked after, but I maintain that, from an architectural point of view at least, it's still iconic and its style is still quite current (especially looking at the relatively ugly, typical 1970's-looking shopping centre - which has somehow achieved listed status).

What bugs me most, having lived here my entire life, is that when one new "centre" is built, the one before dies.  In the 90's, the Empire ruled supreme (not that I went), and the surrounding bars in and around the "Superbowl" were the place to be (the point was still popular, too). 
Then came the Theatre District - which effectively killed the Empire - it was a buzzing place, and great for a night out . . .
Then, of course, came the Xscape, which stamped out any remaining activity at the old "Superbowl", ended the reign of the Point and reduced traffic to the Theatre District to almost nothing, leaving closed units dotted all over the city.
Then the "Hub", far enough away to spread the nightlife in theory, but again, more closed units in the Theatre District, and "established" bars and restaurants in the Xscape began to close . . . Some re-purposed, some re-opened before closing again.

Now there's "mini-centres" popping up everywhere - Kingston, The Stadium etc . . . All have restaurants and bars - great - but how long will they last ?

The Point was the first Iconic building to go (the Superbowl was never iconic and the shopping centre "practical" at best) but ultimately it's only a matter of time before half the Theatre District is leveled, followed by the Xscape.  The Hub will end up being a ghost-town with closed up bars and restaurants if the expansion continues like it is.

There'll only ever be SO many people in MK and SO much disposable money to spend on going out . . . these kind of facilities are far exceeding demand.

It'd just be nice to know that, in another 25 years time when everything else now is gone, the "Point" still stood as a symbol of the birth of the "city" . . . Milton Keynes may've began on paper in the 60's, but to me, it wasn't anything special until the Point was built.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:22:36 pm »
ive not been to the hub... :(
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:25:58 am »
I used to be a bit nostalgic about it, the previous times they've said it was to be demolished..

Not sure I would have even noticed it was gone now.. :confused: :sofa: