Author Topic: Noob Alert - Gaming Comp...  (Read 1242 times)

Andy

Noob Alert - Gaming Comp...
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:31 pm »
After owning my Mac for a year I thought I'd never look at a PC again, until about a week ago I wasn't but now my brothers emigrating away he's left me a big white tower 'gaming' comp for me to get my kicks on Flight Sim (sad i know) and Halo on Steam. - Does the last bit make sense 'cos I ain't got a clue what it means, its just what he said to me!

Anyway, I'm new to this stuff so I suppose I'm sort of asking for a 'rate my system' and what can I do to improve it.

It's running Windows XP, Pentium D 3Ghz CPU with (now) 1Gb of RAM. It was running 2Gb extended but something went 'tits up' on start up and pulling the extra RAM bar cured it.

The Video card is 'beefy' as he put it, details are Nvida GeForce 7600n GT. So I don't believe I have to do anything there. The sound card is also pretty sufficent for what I need.

So suggestions please as to what I can do to pimp it. He suggested a new case might be an idea and also a USB card as the motherboard ones are a bit, well, shit.

As you might be able to tell, i know jack all about PC, so any help greatly appreciated!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:25:10 pm »
You know that Steam works on Mac now - right?

I run a PC running Snow Leopard (don't ask) but steam runs great
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:39:20 pm »
I don't have a clue what Steam is... (really, really hot water? )

I so happy with my Mac I don't really want to put a lot on it, apart from my iTunes and Photo stuff (already taking up a 1/4 of the drive - and two backups)

Andy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »
Scratch Halo... Half-Life..

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:23:32 am »
Quoting: Andy
Pentium D 3Ghz CPU

Is that a single core...? if so as far as modern games go you'll very quickly run into performance problems, especially with only 1GB of RAM, thats below minimum req. specs for running just windows 7 IIRC. The GFX card isn't bad but is notably out of date however it should help "prop up" some other shortcomings of the system because its comparatively more modern than some of the other components you have, today though I wouldn't describe it as "beefy" more mediocre.

Steam is good, its one of these "online authentication / store" things that modern games use (like Games for Windows Live, Rockstar Social Club etc etc) as a launch platform for more modern games its also a very effective Anti-Piracy system (as we found at the last LAN...)

Steam is run by Valve (the makers of the half life series) and counterstrike but its now used by a plethera of games companies to help sell & secure their games.

Sorry... not exactly a glowing report...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Andy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 07:39:21 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
Is that a single core...? if so as far as modern games go you'll very quickly run into performance problems, especially with only 1GB of RAM, thats below minimum req. specs for running just windows 7 IIRC. The GFX card isn't bad but is notably out of date however it should help "prop up" some other shortcomings of the system because its comparatively more modern than some of the other components you have, today though I wouldn't describe it as "beefy" more mediocre.

Steam is good, its one of these "online authentication / store" things that modern games use (like Games for Windows Live, Rockstar Social Club etc etc) as a launch platform for more modern games its also a very effective Anti-Piracy system (as we found at the last LAN...)

Steam is run by Valve (the makers of the half life series) and counterstrike but its now used by a plethera of games companies to help sell & secure their games.

Sorry... not exactly a glowing report..

Magic! I need someones opinion that isn't his as he know, i know, jack all about these things haha!

I was going to replace the RAM bar I took out as I've also noticed its not a lot for some of the Sim programs I would like to run.

Would a processor change be a major operation?

Cheers!

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:45 am »
Depending which Mac you have you may find using BootCamp to boot that into Windows will give better performance than the actual PC as when the Mac boots into Windows it is just a PC so if you have more ram and a better cpu etc in the Mac, it would be faster.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:36:08 am »
You have a Mac so what possible reason could you have for a PC?  or anything else in life for that matter  

As for your PC have a look at the specifications on the games you want to play and go from there.

CPU change is easy but it will depend on your Motherboard as to which CPU's you can fit.

RK recently built a fairly respectable gaming machine.

http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=10&topic=10458&page=1

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:14 pm »
I need someones opinion that isn't his

Confused
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:02 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
I need someones opinion that isn't his

Confuse

That isn't his brothers.. I think.

Andy

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 04:55:18 pm »
Ah yes, should've put brother, sorry Fubar, not aimed at you at all

I could do with some more advice :P Where can I buy RAM at a good price? I assume all you gamers avoid PC World like the plague

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 05:02:14 pm »
ebuyer, dabs or overclockers asre you online places to go

Andy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 05:55:42 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
ebuyer, dabs or overclockers asre you online places to go

Magic! Just found out I have plenty for RAM for FS but X-Plane requires 1Gb of RAM which is all I have so a little more I presume will make it run smoother.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 06:30:16 pm »
Magic! Just found out I have plenty for RAM for FS but X-Plane requires 1Gb of RAM which is all I have so a little more I presume will make it run smoother.

http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=10&topic=10462

Quoting: Incursus
Socket 939 Duel Core Processor 2.2GHz.

£20
Will through in the Heatsink and Fan if you want it.

Also got 4 x 1Gb PC3200 £12 a stick.

Andy

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »
Huzzah! What difference does the 4 digit number make, he said the ones fitted were 5400, does the 3200 pose any issues? Also the other stick in there is DDR2 what are your ones, again, would a difference pose any issues?

- as you computer guys can tell, i know naff all!

@ HRC, my specs are 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3. It was at the time the highest spec, yet smallest MBP.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 07:17:57 pm »
Huzzah! What difference does the 4 digit number make, he said the ones fitted were 5400, does the 3200 pose any issues? Also the other stick in there is DDR2 what are your ones, again, would a difference pose any issues?

They wont be compatible mine are older only DDR(1).

Sound's like the Mac is higher spec than your PC.  Assuming the graphics card is up to scratch use that tbh

Andy

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 07:30:58 pm »
Ahh, i don't want to fill it up with games... got the feeling you're right though!