Author Topic: PC Help needed  (Read 757 times)

a91_formula

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://american-thunder.co.uk
PC Help needed
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:44:35 pm »
I know a few of you play on-line gaming, we both play Cod4.  A few weeks back we bought some new PC's.

The are identical machines as follows:

HP xw6000, dual processor 3.06ghz zeons, adequate graphics cards (nvidia 7600 GS) 3gb RAM, 460w PSU's

Whilst playing Cod4, one of them seems slightly more unreliable and crashes (completely freezes in game and requires a reboot!) (the other machine not so often).  It never crashes in Windows although to be fair neither of us use Windows much for anything beyond the gaming as we have our Mac's - Thank f**k for that!!!!

Drivers have been updated and downgraded for just about everything.
Affinity has been set for both COD4 and PB to one CPU in case the support for SMP is not what it should be.

Temp's are being monitored and sit quite happily in the 40's C for the CPU's and 50's C for the GPU.

The only thing we can see is that that Punkbuster stops and restarts just before the PC crashes, viewable in the event log.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
PC Help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:08:18 pm »
i've had problems with PB before which required entirely manual patching, think it was with BF2142.  Are there any other forum posts etc online about PB causing this kind of problem with COD4?
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
PC Help needed
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »
a quick google reveals this:

Quoting: some random forum

0 Frags    

+               -    

I exactly had the same problem, COD2/COD4 freezing randomly with a loop sound / crashing pc and only on punkbuster servers. First I removed every programs running in the task bar (close to the Windows clock you know) and I could play for hours without any crashs. Then I tried to remove each programs one by one to know which one was in conflict with punkbuster and I found that it was powerStrip.

A friend of mine was using the same powerStrip version as me (I gave it to him) and he exactly had the same freeze. He also removed it and everything worked well.

I also heard that overclock programs like ATItool, ATI tray tool, riva turner were in conflict with punkbuster. Actually many programs are in conflict with punkbuster.

I didn't have a single freeze since I removed powerStrip.

here the google search i used