Author Topic: Getting a BIG box from Summit (At some point)  (Read 1126 times)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Getting a BIG box from Summit (At some point)
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:50:52 pm »
Hey guys,
At some point, hopefully before summer gets here *I think* I will be ordering this lot from Summit, as you can see it'll be a BIG box because the headers include a Y-pipe.  The shipping is nearly $200 and then the usual taxes on top  :rolleyes:

The timing of this is dependent on Santander's share price, so won't be happening right away, but if anyone wants to get anything Big from Summit and is interested in sharing a box to hopefully reduce the shipping cost a bit let me know.
(I haven't checked the UK suppliers yet but they're normally pricey)

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Re: Getting a BIG box from Summit (At some point)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:04:55 am »
Hmm, I'll bare that in mind . . . . :chiny:

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:01 pm »
http://www.stsimports.co.uk/containers.html

Takes a bit longer, but saves a lot on shipping costs.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:03:30 pm »
I am still waiting to purchase the AutoMeter gauges for my bus so I would but....

So I am currently on a self-imposed spending freeze, which is making work on the bus even slower than it was before. I am only fitting parts that I already have 'in stock' or other tasks that just require time rather than new parts.

:busker:

Maybe I can if things pick-up...  :work:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:58:04 pm »
I've found when ordering things from Summit that come in large boxes, adding items for mates really don't save much, if anything. Seeing as a lot of the cost is actually the tax, the saving from being in the same box is minimal. Also gets hella confusing working out the split cost on it. 

That said, I'm in the states this week, could pick up the header bolts and the fender cover if you want?

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »
That said, I'm in the states this week, could pick up the header bolts and the fender cover if you want?

Na, if you could get the lot in a suitcase then I'd take you up on it  :up:

Andy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:29 pm »
The temptation to pickup an entire rotating assembly is strong, but again, don't think I'll have room in my case :(

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:53 pm »
Ok, forgive me for what is a probably a really noob-ish question as I should know better.

The hole near the flange... ( :rofls: :rayof: :rofls: ) couldn't resist that one... where the left header meets the y-pipe in the picture below is for the O2 sensor right? and there's only 1 isn't there?  Was thinking may as well add a new sensor to the list.

Andy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:55:54 pm »
In a stock system there is only one, interestingly though, it's nothing like that close to the actual headers. I would almost say that is too close to the exhaust ports. They recommend that is placed about a foot or so after the collector flange.

Might be work seeing where your O2 sensor is, and if the wiring can reach that far.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:15:49 pm »
Now you mention it I know its not on the y-pipe as the IROC already has a Stainless Y on it and I'm 99% certain I didn't have to remove/replace the sensor when I removed the old stock pipe, so it must be that far up from stock.  :chiny: I should just go & look really shouldn't I.

I've found when ordering things from Summit that come in large boxes, adding items for mates really don't save much, if anything.

Just for testing I added a second header / Y set to the cart & the shipping nearly doubled ($340) so it seems your right. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:20:25 pm by FUBAR »