Author Topic: How to start a well oiled Ford Model T.  (Read 993 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
How to start a well oiled Ford Model T.
« on: March 08, 2015, 04:43:59 pm »
After breaking the transmission brake band a couple of weeks ago and today using the only three tools you need to fix a "T", a large flat bladed screw driver, a large adjustable spanner and a hammer and after spewing some more oil over the garage floor she's running again  :up:

But as Henry was quoted as saying when a customer complained about a Model T leaking oil " If a Model T isn't leaking oil, it's run out ! "  :lol:

So for those of you with your modern new fangled 50 or 60 year old cars, I'd thought I'd show you how to start a 1917 Model T  ???

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Re: How to start a well oiled Ford Model T.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:24:52 am »
So for those of you with your modern new fangled 50 or 60 year old cars, I'd thought I'd show you how to start a 1917 Model T

Wow, all of that makes you really appreciate starter motors!  :rasp:

Reminds me of a funny story with my old house-mate when we had the '68 Morris Minor, which had a starter motor but also as a back-up system, it still had the starter handle mechanism. So, to find out what all the fuss was about with back-firing and being careful, we decided to start it a few times with the handle. I went first, carefully inserted the crank handle into the bumper hole and then into the crank, turned the ignition on, with a light grip which would enable me to let go quickly if I needed to I whipped it around and it started up and chugged away.

Next, it was my house-mate's turn. He was also concerned with the stories about back-firing, but proceeded to copy my process of using the starting handle. He slowly inserted it into the bumper slot, switched the ignition on, then tried to crank it over but the motion was too slow for the engine to 'catch' and when it made a little noise, he jumped back to safety. He tried again, but this time he was even more tense, he did the same again, but a little quicker, this time the engine started and in the panic of trying to get back to 'safety', he pulled the crank handle out of it's slot to rest it on top of the bumper and tried to use it as leverage to get away from the car, but in the panic, the handle slipped over the bumper and through the radiator! 

Water everywhere, we decided it was not worth playing with. :nono2:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:06:52 am »
Nice vid Marti... :clap:

She starts really well..
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:37 pm »
Awesome stuff! Love how the car is very period looking with a huge SNAP ON sticker on the bonnet top! Looks epic!
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk