Author Topic: Camaro News !  (Read 2228 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Camaro News !
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:49:58 pm »
Last week I turned down a reasonable offer for the Camaro because I know I'll really regret selling her.
So this week I've been sprucing her up a bit, before deciding whether to go for a full on restoration to factory fresh standard  ???

After a good clean and very close inspection, despite still having a very good shine, it became apparent that over the last couple of years the paint has got some swirl marks, from being washed and dried  :down:

So it was time to break out the cutting compound and machine polisher  :polish:

WARNING :Unless you know what your doing do NOT attempt to machine cut any painted surface, it is very sensitive to pressure and any curved or corner surfaces. In seconds you can do serious damage to your paint work and I've had a few years experience !

It's also worth noting that it makes one hell of mess with compound going everywhere, so wear overalls, glasses and be prepared for a big clean up operation  :down:

It took me about 2 hours to machine and hand cut the bodywork and then a dam site longer to clean the compound off. I've learnt that the best way to remove it, is firstly with a dry clean polishing cloths over all paint work, then the same process using slightly dam cloths, then apply final coat polish thickly over the paintwork, allow to dry and then polish off.

This removes about 95% of the compound, then tackle the corners and joints etc and polish off. Then finally apply a light coat of polish to the whole car, allow to dry and polish off to a mega swirl free shine  8)

NB : This is only the second time in 15 years that she has had a deep cut and red is the best colour to do it with !

Then spend the rest of the weeks spare time detailing :

Also gave the interior a top detailing after parking under a tree last Saturday with the T Tops off  :homer:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Re: Camaro News !
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »
Shiny :up:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:58:46 pm »
Seriously well looked after car  :jaw: :clap3:

Is that a dirty mark on the back of the headrest? :stir:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:44:53 pm »

Is that a dirty mark on the back of the headrest? :stir:

Well spotted it's leather polish that hadn't dried, I did spot it before I took the picture but thought no one would notice  :grenade:

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:54:39 pm »
So this week I've been sprucing her up a bit, before deciding whether to go for a full on restoration to factory fresh standard  ???

Well I really regret waxolying the car when it was new, I'd like to remove all traces of the black shit and replace all the chassis fixings with stainless steel. Then coat it with clear POR50  :wink:

However then I'd be wanting to get the paintwork 100% perfect and replace the windscreen due to a small stone chip she's had for the last 10 years  ::)

Then I go drive the rusty old model T and think fuck it, it's a car it's purpose is to be driven and in doing so stone chips etc happen  :blackeye:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 01:47:19 am »
Part of your Pistonheads Vinyl decal is missing :rtfm: :rolleyes:

Other than that absolutely amazing, do you fancy doing a similar job / lesson on the IROC in April sometime? (genuine serious question, let me know :): and I don't expect it for free)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:08:40 am by FUBAR »
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:19:05 am »
Part of your Pistonheads Vinyl decal is missing :rtfm: :rolleyes:

Other than that absolutely amazing, do you fancy doing a similar job / lesson on the IROC in April sometime? (genuine serious question, let me know :): and I don't expect it for free)

Happy to help you without payment, the only issue I ever have is time, I was erm "Working from home last week", but I normally work anywhere in the UK & Europe during the week and travel home at the weekends. Monday morning I'll be leaving for Plymouth at 4am  :ryan:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:28:50 pm »
anywhere in the UK & Europe during the week and travel home at the weekends. Monday morning I'll be leaving for Plymouth at 4am 

I hope that is as a professional detailer......   :carwash:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 11:21:31 am »
replace all the chassis fixings with stainless steel

Don't do that, Martyn.  Some of those bolts will be 10.9 grade and you won't get stainless fixings anywhere near that strong.  Even 8.8 grade can't be matched with stainless.

Go for BZP finish but not stainless, seriously.

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »
That sir is quite possibly the cleanest Camaro I have EVER seen. I certainly have never owned a car that shiny. 10 points for effort!

Even the engine bay looks amazing! How many miles has it done?
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:19 pm »
How many miles has it done?

The miles are racking up now nearly 22,000 miles !

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
nearly 22,000 miles !

Well that explains it then haha it's basically a new car!

We (V8UK) have a stand at American Speed Fest with nearly every generation of Camaro APART from a 4th Gen... Just saying... Let me know if interested! :p
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:50 am »
We (V8UK) have a stand at American Speed Fest with nearly every generation of Camaro APART from a 4th Gen...

Well, the MKB have lots of 4th gens.  :up:

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 08:39:47 am »
Ace, well if anyone with a V8 fancies coming on the stand email andy@v8uk.co.uk to get on the list :D

Andy is sorting this one out for us so he is the man to pester! :D
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk