Author Topic: iTunes 7 released  (Read 2439 times)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
iTunes 7 released
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:23:06 pm »
Released yesterday for download.

They've cleaned up the interface and you get some nice new views:

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/overview/

A few other improvements:

1) Your iPod settings are now easy to get to by clicking on the iPod in the device list on the left
2) iTunes now automatically recognises and thus supports gapless playback of albums designed that way.  For example Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.  If you have already ripped a CD like that to your hard drive, no problem, iTuens will analyse all your music and work out which ones should be played gapless, you need do nothing.
3) You can now sync any purchased music to other iTunes registered computers via your iPod.  ie, if you have a computer at home and download a track from the iTuens store and want to listen to it at work you previously had to find it on your hard drive and copy it to a disc or whatever, take it to work and add it to iTunes there.  Now, once it syncs that song to your iPod simply take the iPod to work and it will automatically copy the song to your work machine (assumng your work machine is authorised with the iTunes store).
4) Downloaded videos are now in 640x480 instead of 320x240 so they look sharper.
5) If the songs you have in your library were ripped from CD but you thus don't have the album artwork iTunes will download it automatically from the iTunes store for free (if the iTunes store carries the album in question) which saves you a job of going to amazon.com and swiping their album art...

Oh and they now sell movies (but to the USA only, we have to wait until Q1 2007).

They also announced upgrades to the video iPod as well as a price drop, and NEW iPod Nanos and an even smaller, cheaper, iPod Shuffle.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:26:28 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

Yup that sucks when it adds a pause on that album

which saves you a job of going to amazon.com and swiping their album art...

to late already done that

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 05:28:26 pm »

Released yesterday for download.

Yup system update is downloading now as well as quicktime 7.1

Giblets

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 05:29:05 pm »
Sweet.

I just ordered my new black 60GB Video iPod having had my old 4th gen one die a horrible death on me.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 05:31:42 pm »
Microsoft User People Press Enter The Site

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:36:51 pm »
Got to love the new views like the album view and what a pleasure to listen to dark side of the moon without the pauses. Apple continue to push the boundry of what is normal

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:39:20 pm »
Yeah, got to pity the fools with PC's, Media Player and some cheap ass mp3 player.

I like to refer to those people as Amish...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:20 pm »
I like to refer to those people as Amish...

Well if they all see the light then we would have nothing special for us

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 08:11:27 am »
Yeah, got to pity the fools with PC's

I use itunes on my pc at home and windows media player at work. itunes just about wins imho now with that latest update

Be nice if you could burn an mp3(etc)  playlist direct to cd though (if you can i haven't found the option.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 08:26:26 am »
Just about?  Really?  I'd say it's miles ahead.

As for burning an mp3 playlist to CD, do you mean make a playlist of mp3s and burn a data cd that contains mp3s instead of an audio cd?
If so you can do that, just go into preferences -> Advanced -> Burning and change the CD type from audio to mp3.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 08:35:17 am »

Just about? Really? I'd say it's miles ahead.

same here windows is just a poor copy of OS X in my opinion same as windows media

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 08:56:37 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
Got to love the new views like the album view

Yeah thats the one i'm using, its cool  I have to say so far i'm very impressed, then the fact that it organises the actual files so well all by itself is cool too.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 09:28:11 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
I have to say so far i'm very impressed, then the fact that it organises the actual files so well all by itself is cool too.

Thats cause its written properly that and the fact that if it didnt work properly steve jobs would fire the code writers for getting it wrong

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 09:53:23 am »
I'm still not going to buy a Mac though

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 09:55:04 am »
Plus smart playlists.

I tend to listen to my "top 100 most played" and ""added in the last 30 days" and "100 last played" playlists.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 09:58:57 am »

Well obviously.  If the rest of your cpmputer worked this well you'd have too much free time on your hands.
I mean, spending a weekend manually migrating all your stuff to a new PC when you buy a new one, and reinstalling the whole thing every 6 months or so gives you something to do on weekends when there are no car shows/meets.

Plus, you don't want your computer to run too fast, so you need to install those spyware and anti-virus programmes to use some of those resources up otherwise you have no excuse to bo buy a new faster one!.

It also adds a fun element of "danger" to browsing the web and opening emails.  You need excitement in your life!

If it "just works" it's boring!

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 10:04:45 am »
Well obviously. If the rest of your cpmputer worked this well you'd have too much free time on your hands.
I mean, spending a weekend manually migrating all your stuff to a new PC when you buy a new one, and reinstalling the whole thing every 6 months or so gives you something to do on weekends when there are no car shows/meets.

Plus, you don't want your computer to run too fast, so you need to install those spyware and anti-virus programmes to use some of those resources up otherwise you have no excuse to bo buy a new faster one!.

It also adds a fun element of "danger" to browsing the web and opening emails. You need excitement in your life!

If it "just works" it's boring!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 10:10:05 am »
and reinstalling the whole thing every 6 months or so gives you something to do on weekends when there are no car shows/meets.

This is beginning to need doing after 4 years I have to admit...

so you need to install those spyware and anti-virus programmes to use some of those resources

Never had any problems with Norton myself...

It also adds a fun element of "danger" to browsing the web and opening emails. You need excitement in your life!

Again this has never been a problem, between Using Outlook / the Hardware firewall in the router and Norton Subscription i've only ever had 1 virus, and that was on my old PC.

+ there's better Games support for PCs, that has always been its primary use.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 10:11:47 am »
and reinstalling the whole thing every 6 months or so gives you something to do on weekends when there are no car shows/meets.

This is beginning to need doing after 4 years I have to admit...

so you need to install those spyware and anti-virus programmes to use some of those resources

Never had any problems with Norton myself...

Again this has never been a problem, between Using Outlook / the Hardware firewall in the router and Norton Subscription i've only ever had 1 virus, and that was on my old PC.

+ there's better Games support for PCs, that has always been its primary use.

ah denial

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 10:14:45 am »

well you could buy a new dual boot then you have a proper OS for everyday use and a PC if you want to play games and live on the edge

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 10:15:54 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
ah denial

If thats what you call it... personally i'm quite happy with my PC, its the 2nd one i've had from Evesham and they've both been brilliant, its even put up with me re-housing it in its Green Flame Painted new Home

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 10:17:13 am »
If the primary use is games I say go PC (even though there are more ports to the Mac than you probably realise).

For ANYTHING else I say Mac all the way.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 10:17:36 am »
I can be sarcy cos I spent <15 minutes getting an iMac and a Powerbook wirelessly onto a new broadband internet service AND get them to print to a USB printer that had a wireless dongle poked in it.

It took me 2 HOURS to get the Dell working and that involved using the cable instead of the wireless, and to get the printer working I had to UNPLUG it from the wireless dongle and plug it into the Dells USB port because it refused to install the drivers from the CD until it could physically see it.  I then had to unplug it from the Dell and plug it back into the wireless dongle and manually delete and re-add it as an ip port on the Dell.

This was a reminder of why I will never go back to Windows.
I know how to troubleshoot them and so on, it's not like I can't do it, but I fail to see why I should have to.

I will so be getting one of these:

In a unique sneak preview, Apple demonstrated its forthcoming set-top device, currently dubbed iTV. The device is about half the size of a Mac mini and features USB, ethernet, 802.11 wireless, HDMI, optical audio, and RCA connectors.

The iTV will connect to a television and allow content to be delivered through a Front Row-like interface. Content will be streamed from other computers (Mac or PC) in the house that are storing it.

iTV will cost $299 when it goes on sale in the first quarter of 2007.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 10:20:41 am »
In a unique sneak preview, Apple demonstrated its forthcoming set-top device, currently dubbed iTV. The device is about half the size of a Mac mini and features USB, ethernet, 802.11 wireless, HDMI, optical audio, and RCA connectors.

The iTV will connect to a television and allow content to be delivered through a Front Row-like interface. Content will be streamed from other computers (Mac or PC) in the house that are storing it.

iTV will cost $299 when it goes on sale in the first quarter of 2007.

That does sound Kinda cool

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
iTunes 7 released
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 10:22:14 am »
I can be sarcy cos I spent <15 minutes getting an iMac and a Powerbook wirelessly onto a new broadband internet service AND get them to print to a USB printer that had a wireless dongle poked in it.

I setup our wireless network at home in about 30mins was pretty easy with the Netgear routers