Author Topic: F.A.O HardRockCamaro !!!  (Read 344 times)

Roadkill

F.A.O HardRockCamaro !!!
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:24:55 pm »
I remember having a conversation with you once about your rear spoiler . . . I'm sure you said you had it fitted . . . so . . .

Where did you get it ?

Was it an aftermarket manufacturer or a stock item ?

I've found similar aftermarket ones but they're so cheap I'd be dubious of the quality . . . ie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRUNK-SPOLER-chevy-CAMARO-82-92-rear-spoiler-wing-z28_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ014QQitemZ330117297686QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto

But then I also found this which looks better but is a hell of a lot dearer . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMARO-Z-28-TALL-SPOILER-92-91-82-FIREBIRD-WING-FIN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ012QQitemZ220110418057QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto

I think I'll wanna modify it a bit before fitting it . . . .

Any info would be helpful !

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
F.A.O HardRockCamaro !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:40:09 pm »
I've also seen those high-rise spoilers with a 3rd brake light built into them, I can't remember where though, might've been flebay US but I can't see them now...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
F.A.O HardRockCamaro !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:16:58 pm »
You can indeed get reproductions I have no idea what the quality is like but due to experiencing many aftermarket bodykit pieces back when I had my Focus and also prior, you get what you pay for in terms of fit and finish.  I won't go near aftermarket fiberglass with a barge pole.  But expensive aftermarket stuff made from at least PU Rim from top manufacturers (eg Wings West or Reiger) is generally very good.

The aero rear wing is a sought after item and you can't buy brand new GM ones any more.
I noticed aftermarket replicas for sale for around $250 from reputable suppliers (eg Classic Industries) but I decided to try and source a genuine GM one.
In the end I bought a used one from a classifieds ad on thirdgen.org
I paid $80 for the wing and just $60 shipping by USPS.  The seller took great pains to package it carefully and due to taking extra care with the corners exceeded the maximum size allowed.  So he took it home, begrudgingly repackaged it a bit less and emailed me for my opinion on what he had done and then sent it.  It arrived safely.

I consider it a major bargain.

The only problem is the fact that there is a loose piece of plastic rattling around inside it that you hear when opening the trunk which the bodyshop was supposed to ensure they got out before fitting it but obviously didn't bother.  However they did a fairly good job of fitting it as they had no template and it's just a couple of mm further back than it should be.
They also did a good job filling in the rear quarter panels where they had removed the end pieces of the 3 piece spoiler.  As I was getting a complete blow over anyway the cost of spraying the rear quarters wasn't a factor for me.

Roadkill

F.A.O HardRockCamaro !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:33:42 pm »
The later one I found looks original to me . . .

Bloody dear, though . . .

Cheers, BTW.