Author Topic: Political Correctness Gone Mad...  (Read 809 times)

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Political Correctness Gone Mad...
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:05:34 am »
The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the Olympics say that the Red Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:19:24 am »
London olympics who the feck cares, just another way for the government to waste money like the stupid dome

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29:50 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
London olympics who the feck cares

whatever

just another way for the government to waste money like the stupid dome

Yes the dome was a waste of money, and yes the olympics will be expensive, BUT i still consider it a privilige for this country to be hosting such an event.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:33:02 pm »
As for the original Topic...

I think they might change their minds when they see how much China will be "Bigging themselves up" when they host the Olympics next year.  Keith has already told me that they're closing all manufacturing within a huge radius for a month beforehand so that the air is clearer when all these nice foriegn TV cameras turn up...

They are going to take every possible opportunity to say "Look at us, we're China, look how great & strong we are" and what do we get... [whining old woman]ooh gladys you can't do that, it might offend someone[/whining old woman]   Fk that!

Roadkill

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:49:57 pm »
F*cking stupid do-gooders.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:09:46 pm »
dont even get me started........

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:39:56 pm »
Quoting: FUBAR
yes the olympics will be expensive

so the money will be spent on this rather than say the health service or the transport network which lets face facts really does need the money desperatly.

9.6bn what a waste

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 02:57:58 pm »

so the money will be spent on this rather than say the health service or the transport network which lets face facts really does need the money desperatly.

yeah right thats where it woulda been spent

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 03:02:35 pm »
Quoting: Incursus
yeah right thats where it woulda been spent

your right , maybe not all of it but the money has to come from some placre and i cant see the london council tax payer wishing to pick up that tab so its gonna hit all of us where it hurts

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 04:29:40 pm »
BUT i still consider it a privilige for this country to be hosting such an event.

very commendable but its a privilege we really can't afford.

The stupid bitch in charge has already got her sums wrong to the tune of £9.6bn, almost 3 times what she originally said. Yet she kept her job - I think we can guess who was keeping Tony warm on Cheries nights off.

The real cost will be astronomically higher than 9.6bn by time it actually gets around to kicking off. It will have doubled by then with barely a flicker from the government of the time.

They completely missed the point about spending £400k of my money on a crap logo. It wasn't so much that the logo was crap (though it was) but the fact that some halfwit thought it was quite acceptable to spend £400k getting a slightly unimaginative logo in the first place.

How can anyone possibly justify spending - or more to the point charging - nearly half a million quid for something that any half decent graphic artist or advertising company could have done for a fraction of that.

I can't think of one country that has hosted the Olympics in recent times who hasn't suffered financially because of it.

This latest rubbish about the Red Arrows being 'too british' would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. This from a country that takes sport so serious that they won't even subsidise their best sportsmen to give them a chance of winning.

Bring everyone over here, fill the stadiums up and the bomb them all. "sorry, that was just us being too british"

sixpack2639

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 04:35:27 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged"

AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!!!

I don't miss a chance to see our Navy's Blue Angels perform or our Air Force's Thunderbirds for that matter!

I'm damn proud of our military and what they do!

Hell, this goes right along with you guys not being able to fly the Union Jack without a friggin permit!!

Sounds like you need to clear out Parliment and start over!!!!

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 05:14:16 pm »
agree with Starcheif waste of money maybe the folks that want it should pay for it with higher taxes

i wonder what support it would have

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:42:51 pm »
This country needs to remeber its place, we are no longer the once great country that ruled the world that ended when we gave Hong Kong back to the chinese, just cause we still rule over the falkland islands doesnt really cut it like the old days when we had india,africa etc

What we should have done was given the olympics to the french so that they could sink them selves into billions of debt although im guessing we would end up paying for it via the EU

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »
although im guessing we would end up paying for it via the EU

aah good so we can look forward to that coming in our direction then can't we...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 06:09:10 pm »

aah good so we can look forward to that coming in our direction then can't we...

Yeah of course the EU will give us money, you been smokin something.

Thats not how it works

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 08:18:27 pm »
What a load of Bo***x  I grew up near where the Red arrows practiced RAF Scampton in Lincoln, had a lot of school trips to see them too, and they are well brave doing what they do at that kind of speed.  The 2012 Olympics is being held in London! so typically British.

If it were any other country they'd be pushing their nationality in our faces

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 10:06:03 pm »
Quoting: Podette

My point exactly

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 10:40:40 pm »
Ridiculous.....

Regardless of wether the Olympics are good or bad, they are going to happen now so we may as well be thankful we are seeing it hosted in our country during our lifetime. I am not an olympic fan BTW.

Regarding the original topic, I have seen the red arrows before, they rock, there is no valid reason in my mind as to why they should not perform

Kenny

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 11:58:37 am »
Quoting: Government
The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

It is not true to suggest that the Government has banned the Red Arrows from celebrations to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the celebrations - but with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like, although you can be assured that they will be a spectacular showcase of Britain's best.

apparently they haven't banned them?  still signed the pettition, just in case.

Roadkill

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 06:27:29 pm »
Quoting: Podette