Author Topic: Windows is un-leashed on mega size i-Phones.....  (Read 1370 times)

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Windows is un-leashed on mega size i-Phones.....
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:27 pm »
Ok, ok, so they aren't i-Phones per say.

'Slate' PC's have been revealed by an extremely loud and confident fella at a conference.

Quite like the look of them actually, but would definitely need a protective case!

Running windoze 7, but due to being prototypes don't go into much tech detail regarding memory etc in this video at least.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8444672.stm

Andy

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:22:54 pm »
Someone was saying how they reckon the 'iSlate' will be the next thing from Apple, just because they've registered the domain name or something.

I can stand a device thats hand held with body protection, but surely something like that will get as hot as hell and be really prone to screen damage.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »
Everytime Apple have a conference the web buzzes with 'rumours' about a 'slate' style macbook, my laptop does me just fine, BUT, it is only a matter of time my mind is changed as tech moves on and people require more and more.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:38:51 pm »
Can't imagine a use for that atm.

I can understand a Tablet as a replacement to the Laptop but....

Andy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:14:14 pm »
I don't understand the point of replacing the perfectly usable and suitable interface (a keyboard) with a touch screen version...

(totally understand that statement makes ownership of an iPhone flawed, but does any other phone double up as an Ocarina?!)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:26:13 pm »
As far as I'm concerned real keyboards on phones are dead.
I've had an iPhone for over a year now and find small physical keyboards to be fiddly.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro

I've had an iPhone for over a year now and find small physical keyboards to be fiddly.

I can't type on a Blackberry to save my life......

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:23:47 pm »

My LG Arena touch screen is rubbish for texting even with the QWERTY keyboard.  You can't use a stylus as it only recognises finger pressure and the icons are so small you end up cancelling half of what you've inputted and typing it again.

Preferred my slidey out keyboard on the HTC

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:28 pm »
Quoting: Incursus
Can't imagine a use for that atm.

I can understand a Tablet as a replacement to the Laptop but....

Quoting: Andy
I don't understand the point of replacing the perfectly usable and suitable interface (a keyboard) with a touch screen version...

(totally understand that statement makes ownership of an iPhone flawed, but does any other phone double up as an Ocarina?!)

It's all precedent making headway. Imagine newspapers replaced with these / magazines etc along with replacing a laptop...
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »
Quoting: Rob
My LG Arena touch screen is rubbish for texting even with the QWERTY keyboard. You can't use a stylus as it only recognises finger pressure and the icons are so small you end up cancelling half of what you've inputted and typing it again.

Preferred my slidey out keyboard on the HTC

Try an iPhone or the new Google Nexus One - uber uber good recognition and goes to the next likely letter rather than the one you accidentally pushed..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:13:46 pm »
Indeed, it's all down to the software...

I was unsure about the iPhone, and I found it a bit sow and fiddly at first, but I've now learnt to trust the text prediction and vague stabs in the genera area of the keys I need for a word seem to come up correct 99% of the time when I know I was nowhere near the correct keys.

Some studies in the US have shown that people can type just as fast on an iPhone as a blackberry or any other keypad equipped phone.

The new gesture based stuff including the stuff by MS(?) called project nital (sp?) looks pretty funky.  Basically keyboards need too many buttons to be practical on small devices.  They're useless on Netbooks much less mobiles.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 06:29:43 pm »
what the hell is it for? too big to be a mobile, too small to be a netbook or laptop...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:40:00 pm »

but loosing the keyboard on a laptop/desktop means loosing a lot of screen space for a keyboard

Dunno maybe I'll change my mind but atm I think touch screen monitor in conjunction with a proper keyboard is the way forward.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
what the hell is it for? too big to be a mobile, too small to be a netbook or laptop...

I can only guess a mobile laptop mate,

I sold hundreds of 11" laptops at Sony (The Sony P series is 8" IIRC and that was popular on release), yes they are too small as a 'Main' computer, but not everyone goes home every night after work, some people are away for a whole week flying 50% of their time.... This is a big market and a good area too sell to whilst pushing the tech forward

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »
I don't see them necessarily as being replacements for laptops, but for certain purposes they make sense, particularly if you're not typing much and doing more clicking.

For example, waiters taking orders, retail staff processing orders a-la the Apple Stores, mechanics running diagnostic software, warehouse managers doing stock checks, anyone wanting to watch or show clients media on a screen bigger than a phone.

Imagine apps like you get on an iPhone but for a device with more screen real estate.

In my opinion netbooks are too small for real keybaords and they only have limited use anyway due to their lower processing power and storage.  So if you don't need a keyboard very often for whatever it is you're doing (perhaps surfing the web) these make more sense than netbooks imho.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
I don't see them necessarily as being replacements for laptops, but for certain purposes they make sense, particularly if you're not typing much and doing more clicking.

exactly, most business people use them for presentations etc in my experience of selling small laptops