Author Topic: Titsy's Project Camaro  (Read 10756 times)

Monkey

• View Profile
Titsy's Project Camaro
« Reply #275 on: July 09, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »
5 large Titsy and the rest :0( my enging cost 12k but hey it made a very easy 620bhp then I added a cheeky bit of gas and bingo almost 1000 horse running easy low 9's :0D

Don't ya just luv go fast goodies pmsl

Plus the great thing about gas is u only use it when u want to or need to lol ...... But remember kids there is a down side to gas..... If u don't set it up right you nice engine will melt :0(

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Titsy's Project Camaro
« Reply #276 on: July 10, 2010, 08:18:56 am »
Quoting: Monkey
But remember kids there is a down side to gas..... If u don't set it up right you nice engine will melt :0(

Quite right Monkey - but it ought to be added that if you do set it up right, and fail to make allowances for all that extra torque lower down in the range that comes with it, that it will also find every weak spot in your drive train and turn it into shiny confetti.

General rule of thumb, make sure your drive train is good for twice the amount of power you think you'll put through it and you won't have any problems

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Titsy's Project Camaro
« Reply #277 on: July 10, 2010, 05:07:30 pm »
wise words Ray - just as a foot note, just about everyone I know of that runs nitros has at some point melted something, normally pistons. its also worth noting gas is considerably harder on the bottom end of the engine and the transmission than a turbo or super charger setup making the same sort of power, as a boosted engine builds power more progressively

running gas on stock cast pistons is a recipe for disaster too, really no more than 50 - 100 shot is safe, even if its a wet shot. if you're running gas, the highest quality forged pistons and rods are pretty much essential.

even when its set up right it only takes something like a failed fuel solenoid to lean off and melt things before you know its even happened. and it happens a lot more than you'd think..

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Titsy's Project Camaro
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2010, 07:10:04 am »
Thanks for the comments guys. I have read into this quite a lot and looked at the precedence of what guys in the states have done. I'll be taking it easy compared to what some guys have done. Mt strengthening of the rear end is a start, and I know I need to work my way forward, especially with my previous run of luck concerning transmissions, but I'm not going to go crazy with the gas. There are plenty of guys in the states running 150shot on an otherwise stock car with no problems at all. I'm a little more paranoid than them, which is why I’ve started with spending money elsewhere, and why when I fit the gas I will initially only be running a baby 50 shot just to give me a little poke at the drag strip until I have built up my second engine.

I've also looked heavily into what controllers are available, I don't buy into the driver hitting a button that fires the solenoid and that being it. It's ludicrous to thing you can instantly hit the engine with another 150hp and not expect the shock of that extra power coming in not to stress the engine, trans and rest of the drivetrain. This is why I will be using a progressive controller to feed in the power. However, the controllers that are out there do not fully satisfy my paranoia in terms of what else can go wrong, so I am actually designing my own controller with the aid of another engineer I work with to monitor a whole range engine/trans parameters so that if ANYTHING is not right it will shut down before it becomes a bigger problem and datalog what went wrong. I will also be addressing the common issue of solenoids not firing correctly by monitoring the coil 'ring' profile which allows you to determine if the solenoid has fires correctly. This is effectively the same principle used in engine management systems to determine if an injector is working correctly.

By the way Ray, Any idea why no one has ever made a solinoid that has two valves (one for fuel and one for nitrous) but opperated by the same coil. It seems like a really obvious way of not ending up spraying one but not the other. If it fails, then nothing at all gets sprayed and the engine lives to run another day.

Nitrous can be break cars, but with the correct amount of paranoia mixed in I think i'll be ok....

/\ Famous last words /\

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Titsy's Project Camaro
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2010, 07:45:22 am »
Fuel and nitrous need different types of seal material. With fuel you can get away with a neoprene seal, where as nitrous would eat it. Containing two valves inside one housing, both running at different pressures would create too many engineering problems to make it viable.

Being caught out by solenoid failure isn't that common if you check them regularly; most of the horror stories you hear or solenoid failure are usually as a result of someone fitting a kit and then just hoping it will continue to work for evermore without maintenance. I've got to replace one of mine due to a crack appearing in the magnet; if I hadn't bothered to  check it it would have got worse and ... well, you can guess what would have happened.

If you can make/design (and most importantly, patent) one that could work reliably you'd be in the serious money

Your best safety measure is to fit a fuel pressure switch, if fuel pressure drops off during the run the nitrous is shut off. You can set your own pressure parameters to be really safe.

The best controller out there is the Edelbrock unit; it was designed and made by Schnitz, who had a long history of making controllers for bike setups,and then bought by Edelbrock. I've got one fitted to the car if you want to take a look, got the manual for it to showing the wiring too

Monkey

• View Profile
Titsy's Project Camaro
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »
Your going about it all the right way titsy by doing your home work..... that go's along way mate..most people like ray said think they can just bolt bits on and hope and pray they work.(we've all been there at so point)

paranoia is a good thing sometimes but it was the one thing that stoped me pushing the my manta as hard as it could of gone.. theres was nothing i could of made any stronger on the car drive train wise(best of the best) but i always used to run it safe. boost wise and useing the gas.

who knows wot it would of run if it wasnt for paranoia