General MKB > Projects

'79 Camaro - Major surgery

(1/37) > >>

Jamieg285:
As posted in a separate thread, my Camaro failed it's MOT this year, and requires some major surgery to the spring mount areas under the floor and outer sill area.  As I've been looking at it more, there are more things that need sorting out, and this is the best time to do it.

For the MOT pass, I will need to replace the Outer Sill panel and the 'torque boxes' into which the front of the rear leaf springs attach.

I know from basic examination so far that I will also need to do some remedial work on the inner rear wheel arches and the passenger foot well.

I've got some pictures of the affected areas, which I've got to upload, and will link in here soon.

Jamieg285:
I'll start with the Outer Sill. Here you can see the rusted patch I'd put on, and the holes made in the paper thin metal (maybe just a layer of paint) by the MOT tester, and the same a bit closer.

This shows the torque box and how it fits together:

And here's how mine looks, fore and aft of the passenger side spring:

The sub-frame connectors could be the biggest problem, shown here at the front, middle and end

Spent some time today pulling out the interior in preparation for the coming work. I'm well practiced at this now, so it didn't take long:

Overall, the floor pans look good, but the passenger footwell needs replacing. Lots of rust and some holes:

More woes at the back, where the sills join the rear arch.  The water and cancer that has destroyed the sill has also attacked the arch:

Plenty to think about there.  First thing I need to do is work out a plan of attack, work out the order to do things.  

I already have the sill panel, but it I will need at least the 2 torque boxes and 1 front floor pan, but as I work through things I may find I need more, and want to avoid having to order more than once.   I've also got to work out the best source for the panels.  Surprisingly, the best price for the sill was from one of the Bedford parts dealers. I'm hoping that will be the same this time.

More updates to follow, but don't expect as much movement as you get on Roadkill's projects.

FUBAR:
wow that's a lot to fix.  reminds me a bit of my old red Camaro

Titsy:
wow, that's a lot of tin worm you've got going on...

Rob:
Pretty much the same areas I am currently dealing with on my 77

Got most of my panels from here.....:

http://www.amesperf.com/index.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version