Author Topic: Chryslers 5 year plan...  (Read 1970 times)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Chryslers 5 year plan...
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:46:42 pm »
http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chrysler-group/five-year-plan.html

I was surprised how much growth there has been in sales of Dodge vehicles (Jeep are fairly consistent in numbers, perhaps growing slightly, and representing on average 45% of Chrysler group sales):

Concerning items for me
:
In 2013 Patriot, Compass, and Liberty will be replaced by vehicles “developed from Fiat platforms” which we are promised will still have the Jeep DNA — small SUV, C-size SUV, Liberty replacement. [Allpar analysts are not optimistic about these vehicles living up to past Jeep off-road standards.
<snip>The shift from truck to car based SUVs is growing. All Jeeps must have certain aspects (grille, short overhang, trapezoid wheel-arches, functional interior, open-air concepts, visibility, durable materails, handling in bad weather, advanced four wheel drive, and towing capacity.) Jeep Wrangler must also have excellent off-road characteristics but it appears that off-roadworthiness will not be demanded of all Jeeps.

Frankly the Wrangler and the new Grand Cherokee are the ones I would have bought anyway, the Liberty (known as the Cherokee here, but they didn't dare call that rounded and softened thing a Cherokee in the US) and the smaller Patriot (not my cup of tea but 15k for a new one is a bargain vehicle) and without modifications the larger Commander are all pretty average (at best) off road.  Replacing these with car based platforms probably makes sense for 90% of buyers, but I do feel that poor off-road performance hurts the Jeep brand, whereas the softest Land/Range Rovers are ok off road so the image isn't too badly affected.

Wrangler will “retain its rightful spot as the icon for this legendary brand.”

Hopefully they'll leave it the f*** alone then with any changes being done by Jeep engineers as they see fit, not by Fiats accountants and "focus groups".

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Chryslers 5 year plan...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Hopefully they'll leave it the f*** alone then with any changes being done by Jeep engineers as they see fit, not by Fiats accountants and "focus groups".

Dunno I was hoping for a sort of Fiat 500 Jeep

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Chryslers 5 year plan...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:10:51 pm »
I've heard strong rumours of a Panda Crossover based baby "Jeep" for the US at least...  Heaven help us...

There is to be an Alfa Romeo SUV based on Jeep (soft roader) platform.

JUST LEAVE THE WRANGLER ALONE!

(Actually Fiat/Chrysler confirmed the Wrangler would always be built on a unique platform that it will not share).

Having said that I rented a 2010 Wrangler in the US a couple of weeks ago and it has no character and while every measurable aspect of it is improved (wind noise, ride quality, ground clearance etc) it is not a patch on the older TJ generation Wrangler.  I wouldn't trade mine in for one, no way...

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Chryslers 5 year plan...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:11 am »
its not rosey on either side of the fence.. the idea of tacking an alfa badge on an SUV isn't exactly doing anyone any favours, and google Chryser delta - shameful badge engineering.

Sadly the chrysler delta is an attempt to get the slow selling 'love it or hate it'   Lancia delta in our showrooms, but aside from the grille, NOTHING else is changed..

Smacks of the saab 600 from many years ago, when lancia tried to sell the delta in scandinavia by tacking a Saab badge onto it.

This just doesn't work - Lancia and Alfa fans seem to feel that attaching two of the worlds most historic nameplates to chrysler is selling out, and people who buy chrysers wont be interested in small italian cars.

who is this for?