Author Topic: Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...  (Read 36358 times)

Roadkill

Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2005, 09:34:22 pm »
Caddy's gonna be painted Dark Blue with Off-White roof . . . . I reckon I could get away with a fair amount of chrome in the engine bay.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2005, 09:38:13 pm »
I was thinking using the sleeving kits for the Rad hoses & heater Hoses in chrome because they are all over the top of the engine & would look better with a bit of bling.

Thw wiring looms is interesting, it says they do colours too, but doing the wiring bits that are on the engine itself would be a nice idea I reckon.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2005, 09:39:41 pm »
I will have to see what this other engine is like again & have a proper look at it.  Its nice I know but we'll see, its got to be better than the mess thats under my bonnet anyway!

Roadkill

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2005, 09:46:56 pm »
Wires ?

Cut 'em Out !!!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2005, 12:03:30 am »
This is what I want:

Red (which is a nice dark red not brilliant red... how convinient)  with the polished ends.
I'll do that for the 2 rad hoses, & the heater hoses & use bits of chrome wiring loom where appropriate. Very

Ryan

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2005, 12:06:59 am »
edit... i've just looked at how much that costs!!!  the heater hose kit is $228 alone!!!

and that only does 1 hose...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2005, 01:07:45 am »
Ryan,
This is not a slip on cover. These are replacment hoses. You should be avble to get a complete kit for your engine at a reasonable price on the web

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2005, 01:10:20 am »
Yeah I appreciate that,

the Pimptastic part of my brain is currently battling with the wallet control part which is fast forging an alliance with the common sense part...

would be cool tho wouldn't it

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2005, 02:08:37 am »
Ryan - you dont wanna go an inch over 300BHP, otherwise tranny axle, torque arm and lower controll arms will live a very short life.

ditto for 350lbs ft.

a small block with much more than 350 bhp will really start to suffer on fuel economy, i'd aim for 275bhp, you should be able to achieve that with a nice streetable cam (go milde than you think 90% of people over cam)

dont forget, more cam doesn't just affect idle, even the peformance of the brakes will be reduced if you have a major cam in there..

dont go for anything that exceeds your needs, you will regret it. even 250bhp will make a massive difference in your car, but still retain decent economy and street manners.  if you go the crate engine route (i strongly advise this) dont go for anything rated as 'fast road' or 'semi race' or 'street rod' you want a nice fat torque curve, and look for power and torque  peaking at no more than 5000 RPM.

the power charicturistics of the LT1 engine work very well, while being trans and axle friendly, hmmm... that brings us back to that old chestnut, the goodwrench! (very similar engine - £1200 in the UK)

also remember that you will need to budget for a carb, a starter (good time to fit a new one, as mall block starters arent especialy long lived)  and will need gaskets for things like the water pump distributor, and oil pan - none of which come with a crate engine.

using an engine around the price of a goodwrench, you should comfortably be ready to go for £2000 - and thats allowing for new belts, coil HT's and plugs.

also be careful, some aftermarket cams dont have the lobe for driving the fuel pump. the stock pump is perfectly adequate for 250 - 300BHP, if you need an after market pump, you are building an engine that is capable of emptying the float bowl quicker than you want - i.e. its gonna suck gas.

its also worth noting that vortec heads work exceptionaly well on mild small blocks, dont go for ally heads for what you want, otherwise you have to look into lowering springs (the car will sit nose up otherwise)  - more ££££££'s

you dont wanna make un nesicary work and expense for yourself.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2005, 02:41:32 am »
Personaly i would always run an electric fuel pump over a manual, you can always turn the fuel pressure down.

Also take as much crap of the engine thats driven by belts, as each items gonna suck between 5-15hp and thats waisted fuel as well as wasted power.

electric water pumps and fans win everyday in making more power

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2005, 04:38:16 am »
yeah, but electric waterpumps cost ££££ electric fuel pumps cost £££

the pump on a smallblock is driven off the cam by an eccentric in the timing chest, so its not a significant drain on power, plus (as we found out with deans car - took half an hour to decide what top hose we needed) it always makes life easier to keep the stock belt and pipe routings, well worth considering if its a daily driver..

stock fuel pressure will be perfectly adequate, if it needs more fuel pressure, we will have failed in the quest to keep it economical.

remember, every BHP is NOT vital here, but ease of maintainance and stock type dependability and ease of obtaining parts is.

gotta keep focused on what the car is going to be used for, although obviously Ryan is the person to decide,  i'm pretty sure that he'd sacrifice 5 bhp for the ability to have the car function in the way a standard car does..

this is quite a different mission to Deans car......

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2005, 07:42:27 am »
this is quite a different mission to Deans car......

Totally,
My car, atm is my only machine, I want up to 300bhp while maintaining 30+MPG on runs.  The whole mission is about moderate Power & economy.
I am not adverse to things like 'lekky water pumps, after all its been on the cards from day one & IMO ist a VERY wise idea, why waste power pumping water when the alternator & battery can do it for you for the same "price".  If all things work out the only thing powered by the crank will be the ALT, steering pump & possibly the fuel pump, & thats open to suggestions.

Lets put it this way, IF my car gets a new (or 2nd hand) engine the cruise control & Air-con will go. I hate to say this Phil as I know & understand you're viewpoint on this but its not only because its a hassle to keep them but because of there very nature they are accessories.
I NEVER drive my car with the windows closed, EVER, even in the dead of winter (yet to be experienced) I'll still have my window open a crack because I enjoy, as we all do, driving along & hearing that lovely sound coming from the back of the car.  All I need is for the interior blower & heater to work & i'll be fine.

I accept that while Steve's car & engine may, from my memory suit every aspiration that I have for the car & also 3 of you guy's want bits & bobs from the car which would be everso convinient in reducing my outlay for the job, untill I can go & look at the car again with this in mind I can't be sure.  
(BTW a spohn torque arm was on my shopping list!)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2005, 06:56:10 pm »
Lets put it this way, IF my car gets a new (or 2nd hand) engine the cruise control & Air-con will go. I hate to say this Phil as I know & understand you're viewpoint on this but its not only because its a hassle to keep them but because of there very nature they are accessories

Well said that man nothing wrong with moving away from stock

Roadkill

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2005, 07:01:16 pm »
Oooo, OOooo.

Could I have the Air Con Unit.

<SLAP>

Then again . . .  

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2005, 09:19:04 am »
Ported from the camaro forum:

Well despite my earlier intentions I won't be there, (Finlay's meet, I was considering going with Art)my car broke down on the way home from work today you want to know the worst / funniest part... its a whole 8 feet off the drive

I have a very slopey drive & it just could not make it up it no power whatsoever would rev & idle roughly in park but the second I try to drive it the damn thing conks out.

right now I'm annoyed, embarrased (was giving mates a lift) & generally pretty pissed off The long running problems have now reached a point where I can't drive the car.

I'm giving it a couple of hours to cool down & then try to move it again, it works whan its cold!

A very annoyed
Ryan

Edit: see my sig pic... put the front of the car 1/2 way down the side window & thats where its stuck!!!

Gonna see how much a coil costs & get it changed tomorrow...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2005, 11:56:01 pm »
Changed the Ignition coil, dizzy cap & rotor & its running sweet as a

Ryan

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2005, 12:01:04 am »
great news,sounds like ur beating that motherf$*cker,fella :
its great when ya solve something yaselve
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2005, 12:47:37 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
Changed the Ignition coil, dizzy cap & rotor & its running sweet as a  

Glad you got it sorted , hope it isn't just lulling you into a false sense of security !
As Art say's ur gotta get it beat soon

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2005, 01:00:31 am »
Just got back from Lincoln,
Car ran perfect all the way there & back  you know what guys... I think we've cracked it!

btw... new engine no longer on shopping list!!

and today has been the first time i've ever taken a fuel consumption reading... turns out to be a rather impressive 32.09mpg (UK Gallons)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2005, 01:18:13 am »
So does this mean you nwont be looking at buying the wrecked 3rd gen now?

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2005, 02:04:00 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
Car ran perfect all the way there & back    you know what guys... I think we've cracked it!

Hope so Fella , think you deserve it by now !

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2005, 02:25:40 am »
Nice one - you can now start REALLY enjoying your car.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2005, 02:41:57 am »
Yeah it means that some of the money i've got saved up can go on more interesting shiny things  or Brake rotors.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2005, 06:36:03 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
So does this mean you nwont be looking at buying the wrecked 3rd gen now?

At the moment no, however i'd imagine he is still contactable about selling parts from it (Back to Plan A).  If anyone wants his numbers get me on my mobile & i'll send em over.

Ryan

Edit: although it has to be said, if he really doesn't want much for it I might consider it if other people are interested too...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2005, 06:40:21 pm »
So have you solved what the noise from the rocker cover was?