Author Topic: Projects - Uber Shed and Square Shed  (Read 13465 times)

Roadkill

Projects - Uber Shed and Square Shed
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2014, 04:49:32 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
The funny thing is that I've been clearing one of the back corners of the garden this weekend (for those of you that may remember - it was where the back of the Humber used to be - later the BBQ) . . .

. . . I got the old concrete slab out, the wall knocked down, its foundations broken up and got the area behind pretty-much dug-out last night . . .

. . The plan was to re-locate a swing-bench to that location but after seeing the space I've got in that corner (about 6' wide x 7' deep) I'm now thinking another shed would work better.

Yeah . . . a shed would work better . . . plus it would fit in nicely with my long-term master-plan !

The only thing I actually managed to do over Chrimbo was to clear this corner (I needed the earth to in-fill the new bed next to the new shed).

The space left is currently 1.5m wide and 1.6m deep back to the fence . . but I'm intending to increase that to 1.6m wide by 1.8m deep.

The said it won't be a huge shed (fairly normal by most standards) but it'll use an otherwise useless and previously un-used corner . . .

It'll be another "rapid" build . . . but I'm not sure just how rapid with Winter here ?

Here's the plot -

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2014, 08:34:56 pm »
So whats going in this shed then :p

Roadkill

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2014, 09:27:06 pm »
I'm thinking sand-blasting cabinet and parts cleaner . . .

Gonna sketch it up at work tomorrow and see what needs to be got . . . will have to wait for a few weeks before buying anything, though.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2014, 11:20:11 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage

So whats going in this shed then :p

sammy said, he's gonna be moving into one of em
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2014, 11:27:09 pm »
If a man's home is his castle then his back garden is his kingdom !

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »
I'm thinking sand-blasting cabinet and parts cleaner . . .  

Ahh cool

Roadkill

« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »
Actually, change that.  

It makes a lot more sense to keep this latest shed idea "power free".

I'll probably locate the bulk-storage shelves to the newer shed, and put the other stuff in the existing shed where there's power already.

Should speed up the build even more.  

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:56 am »
Actually, change that.

It makes a lot more sense to keep this latest shed idea "power free".

I'll probably locate the bulk-storage shelves to the newer shed, and put the other stuff in the existing shed where there's power already.

Should speed up the build even more.

Hmm, yeah does make more sense and should, as you say, speed the building process

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2014, 12:33:32 pm »
Why not just got to all the boundaries and be done with it... you can have a glass roof and call it a winter garden...

Roadkill

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
Here's the plan -

It'll give me just enough room for 5 of the storage racks like the two I have in the current shed . . . .

Perfect !  

Material prices are pretty good, too . . . It's the same design as the "Uber" shed but I'm replacing the (unseen) lower cladding panels with pre-galv steel which save a few quid and will, again, speed things up.

They'll be plasterboard to the walls and ceiling as before but this time I'll make the door myself instead of buying a uPVC one (partly to reduce costs and partly because I can't find a uPVC door to fit the gap).

I'll start buying materials come payday and hope for some nice-ish weather !

Roadkill

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:12 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
Why not just got to all the boundaries and be done with it... you can have a glass roof and call it a winter garden...

If I wasn't so happy with how the garden's looking at the moment I probably would've !

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »
Quoting: Titsy

Here's the plan -

In-depth!
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2014, 01:58:23 pm »
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »

Well, I will, truly be Lord "two sheds" Roadkill soon, as I'll be buying materials either tonight or tomorrow and will go "into production" this weekend.

The plan is the same as that above except I've reduced the overall width by 35mm . . . (it'll suit the shelving lay-out better).

It'll be a rapid build but, with the weather, I'm not limiting myself too much . . . . as long as it's done for March-time that'll be O.K.

Roadkill

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2014, 10:24:26 am »
Big thanks to Ian on both Saturday and Sunday . . .

We got everything done on the list and were very lucky with the weather so I'm happy.

Saturday was spent cutting all the timbers and assembling the back panel and the two side panels.
Next these were assembled (in failing light) and then received their first coat of creosote/oil mix (in the freezing dark).

Sunday morning we were greeted with this 8-foot tall monster :

(Because of it's smaller size and the tight gap it fits in the plan was to lift this into place and not build in-situ as the other builds)

Next job was to fit the steel panels to the lower sections of the framework, plus final lower timbers.

After that the site was leveled and cleared . . .

Then the fence behind treated . . .

Then the post holes dug and the old log-roll removed . . .

The shed was treated to another coat of creosote/oil then, again in now failing light, man-handled into place in the corner . . .

I took this photo this morning . . .

It was too dark to start leveling it last night so this weekends plan is to get it square, level and plumb and then concrete the posts in place.

From there I'll start getting the front built . . . .

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:10 am »
How do you find the time You make me feel lazy and I was outside all weekend working on bits

Solid work BTW.

Roadkill

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2014, 10:35:50 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
How do you find the time

I was fortunate this weekend that Sammy wasn't working so could look after the nipper (and Vicky came over to look after Sammy)  

This made things a lot easier.

Also the weather, although cold, was as good as I could've hoped for.  

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »

looking good ... summerhouse next ...

Roadkill

« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »
Quoting: art b
... summerhouse next ...

Well, I've freed-up a third corner of the garden . . . but that's another story . . .

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:15 pm »
but that's another story

Roadkill

« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:02 pm »
but that's another story

Quoting: art b

You'll have to wait a bit for that one . . . .

Anyway, back to the shed and I've got my cement and stones . . . just need to pick up some sand tomorrow morning and we're ready for leveling and concreting.

From there I reckon the build will start accelerating as there's lots of bits I can be doing before and after work, as well as at the weekend.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2014, 10:13:42 pm »
Roadkill: The Building Machine.

Roadkill

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2014, 09:49:24 am »
Had a relatively relaxed weekend on the shed building front but still managed to get everything on the list done.

Saturday's plan was simple . . . Level, plumb, square and concrete.

Ian came over and it went to plan . . . took a bit of effort to level it and keep the legs all plumb but in the end everything was within 1mm on my 1200mm spirit level so I was happy with that !

Squaring it up, again was an effort, but with a few swift hits we got it within 3mm or so, corner-to-corner, top-to-bottom, so again, damn near perfect.

Next job was to get the water and sludge out of the 4 post holes (great fun) before mixing and pouring the concrete.

Once the concrete was in I had to just hope there was no major rain over night . . . I did cover the concrete up but that end of the garden is the lowest so any downpour would've flooded the post holes !!

Turns out I was lucky . . . we did have some rain but not enough to affect the concrete.

This was taken Sunday morning when I checked the concrete :

Sunday I opted not to do anything early-on as it was bright and sunny so it made sense to allow the concrete to further harden before bashing the frame about putting in more timber . . . .

I came back after lunch and checked everything over - nothing had moved so all good.

I got the six vertical timbers cut and installed, then trimmed and fitted the cladding at the front.

After a tidy-up of the garden I put the first coat of creosote/oil on as it started to get dark.

These were taken this morning :

During the week I plan to get the timber cut for the roof and do a couple of "tip-runs".

The plan for next weekend, though, is primarily to back-fill the area to the sides and rear of the shed . . . . .

Roadkill

« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2014, 09:01:44 pm »
During the week I plan to get the timber cut for the roof and do a couple of "tip-runs".

Yup, done . . .

The plan for next weekend, though, is primarily to back-fill the area to the sides and rear of the shed . . . . .

I got the back part in-filled (effort !!) . . . Looks good, though . . . not that I'll ever see it again !

I had to take the back panel out to do it (this was planned in the design so, apart from the weight of the panel, went pretty smoothly).

Completely forgot about it initially so only started it while it was getting dark on Saturday . . . Finished it at gone 7pm in the freezing cold.  

Weather on Sunday prevented me from getting the roof on - which really p!ssed me off . . . But I've pre-drilled the roof boards and cut the temporary overlay I'm putting on the roof until it's warm enough to felt it.

Hopefully it's clear one morning this weekend and I'll try to get out and get it on before work.

Then I'd be back on schedule . . .

Roadkill

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:17 pm »
Eeeeeeeeeyyy

Was out there at the crack of dawn this morning (or there abouts) . . . got the roof boards on and fixed and got some polythene pinned down over it.

Also started in-filling the sides (need to wait for the water to drain out of the mud before finishing these areas as it's more liquid than solid at the moment).

Good news is that all the buckets full of mud have now gone from the garden and the massive pile of excess gravel I had is now much, much smaller.

Forgot to say I also got some bits of wood fitted previously to strengthen the front and rear lower timbers (where the main cross-support beam will go for the floor).  As a side-effect it meant I could push the gravel up to the front of the shed and level around it.

Here's how the new shed looked this morning . . . .

And here's where she sits in relation to the last shed . . .

Floor's next.