Author Topic: Which Drill/Driver  (Read 2473 times)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:40:39 am »
Looking at getting a drill / driver and I can't decide between

The Makita 8391DWPE 18V Combi Drill

or the DeWALT 18v Combi Drill for £10 more

I know CP worked for Makita and RK had/has a DeWalt....

Or any other recommendations £100 is my limit.

Roadkill

Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:20 pm »
I'd personally be after a Li-Ion battery drill or nothing, but if budget is tight, either drills would be fine.

My next one will be a Makita, as I was a little unhappy with the life-span of the DeWalt batteries.  That said I really abused mine !

There's not a lot of info on the Makita batteries with that product - each type has pros and cons with Li-Ion being the best.

I'd check the details of the Matika batteries to make sure they're like-for-like then go with the cheapest as £10 is worth saving (if it was less I'd say go with the Makita).

Also drop into screw-fix as they've constantly got in-store offers on the Makita and Dewalt stuff.

BTW - Our Company use 95% Makita Li-Ion . . . . One of our guys uses AEG (the bluey coloured one if that makes a difference - he raves about them but I know nothing about them).

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:07:19 pm »
Yeah the Li-ion would be nice but I couldn't find one anywhere near my price range as the battery alone is over my budget..at least in a brand I recognise.  Ni-Cad will be fine for my amateur DIYing needs

Quoting: Roadkill
Also drop into screw-fix as they've constantly got in-store offers on the Makita and Dewalt stuff

Already checked them out on Saturday while buying Caulk  , spotted the Makita for £89 with 2 batteries, almost bought it then and there as looked like a great deal...glad I didn't though as B&Q have the 18V version at the same price (also 2 batteries)
I'll wait a few days till the Bank Holiday though as there maybe more offers to be had

My next one will be a Makita, as I was a little unhappy with the life-span of the DeWalt batteries. That said I really abused mine !

Yeah that reminds me we had battery issues with the DeWalt at Alps, though it hardly ever got used..

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:57:22 pm »
batt size is the key ... on cheap deals the batts are tiny  
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »
Quoting: Incursus
I know CP worked for Makita and RK had/has a DeWalt....

I've been out of this industry for a while now, so have little up-to-date knowledge, but I totally agree with:

I'd personally be after a Li-Ion battery drill or nothing, but if budget is tight, either drills would be fine.

http://www.toolchestdirect.com/ were Makita's unofficial local shop-front. It's a shop owned by an ex-Makita salesman. They are over in the industrial estate opposite Ikea. If you want Li-ion locally, I doubt anywhere would beat ToolChest's prices.

I have one of these:

http://www.toolchestdirect.com/product.php/section/432/sn/BHP451RFE3

Which is pretty awesome. It's powerful enough to use with a wire-wheel attachment and actually get somewhere.

To save on price, you could drop the volts and go with this:

http://www.toolchestdirect.com/product.php/section/432/sn/BHP441RFE

Being a 3.0Ah battery, it will still last well and charges in 20 minutes from any point, so no need to worry if the battery is empty, half full etc. The charger 'speaks' to each battery and knows the condition of each one by a chip installed in the battery. This means if the battery is sensitive, the charger can charge accordingly to ensure best performance.

Also, Li-ion does not discharge on the shelf (or very minimally).

Hope this helps.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »
Ni-Cads suffer with "memory", something Li-Ions don't.

Plus Li-Ion batteries are ALOT lighter - which is handy if you're doing work above head height.

Roadkill

Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 02:59:53 pm »

Mmmm, tool p0rn  

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:26:52 am »
Ni-Cads suffer with "memory", something Li-Ions don't.

Plus Li-Ion batteries are ALOT lighter - which is handy if you're doing work above head height

All true though Li-Ion can suffer from short life span but either way I can't justify the extra cost, it took enough just to convince me not to buy another Homebase or Wickes own brand special.  

Quoting: Cunning Plan
I have one of these:

http://www.toolchestdirect.com/product.php/section/432/sn/BHP451RFE3

Mmmm, tool p0rn

Nice though that would take my entire tax rebate

After advice from you lot and having used DeWalt's in the past and more recently a Makita, albeit briefly, I have decided on...............

The Makita 18 Volt (Nickel-Cadmium)

Unless there are some really good Bank Holiday deals this weekend

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:29 am »
Quoting: Incursus
The Makita 18 Volt (Nickel-Cadmium)

To be honest, that will be more than good enough for what you need

The £3-£400 combi-drills are for guys that make their living out of putting together kitchens etc. So they need something dependable and fast charging etc. The majority of that cost is the battery (£180 for a spare when I worked at M).

Ni-Cad will be fine, try and get a deal with at least two batteries, that way you can charge one up, take it off the charger and leave it on the side ready for use. Otherwise it will be annoying when you want to do something and the battery in the drill needs charging and you need to wait a few hours.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:55:44 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Ni-Cad will be fine, try and get a deal with at least two batteries, that way you can charge one up, take it off the charger and leave it on the side ready for use. Otherwise it will be annoying when you want to do something and the battery in the drill needs charging and you need to wait a few hours.

Yeah the deal comes with two, and it also say's they charge in 30 minutes

Roadkill

Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:43:04 am »
I always find batteries charge best from cold, too.  My DeWalt hated charging hot (just used) batteries - seemed to confuse the charger.

I doubt you'll be doing enough work to drain 2 batteries in quick succession but it's worth bearing in mind.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 08:59:12 am »
I doubt you'll be doing enough work to drain 2 batteries in quick succession but it's worth bearing in mind

Indeed once the bulk of the refub is done in the new house, a few shelves and flat packs here and there will be pretty much it, hence the reluctance to spend too much.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:26:14 am »
drill with all metal gearboxes will last longer...

i have a makita, never had de-walt ..they are made by black and decker,

thb chris if i was you id buy a b&q mid range jobbie that has a 3 year guarantee
or even see if aldi have one in, as all there gear is with a 3 year guarantee

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 09:37:36 am »
heres one with good reviews..

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10637532/reviews.htm

i have the 7.2 mini screwdriver and its an awesome bit of kit...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:56:40 am »

Titsy has a Mac Allister SDS drill and that's nice quality

And they do an 18v Li-Ion Hammer version for £79

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drilling-screwdriving/drilling/cordless/-specificproducttype-hammer_drills/Mac-Allister-Li-Ion-Hammer-Drill-MHD18-2Li-18V-10637534?icamp=recs

Looks cheap...but 3 year warranty

Distinct lack of reviews compared to the Matika though..

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 10:26:13 am »
After more investigation the Matika Ni-Cd is lighter, charges quicker and has more torque..

Roadkill

Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 02:21:19 pm »
T'is often the problem with the cheaper brands - complete lack of torque.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
I've got a Bosch SDS drill which is just fu**ing EPIC.  I'm still to find something that it cant power though like butter.  Used it in hammer only the other weekend to 'kangol' my way though 3 feet of postcrete!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 09:36:42 am »
Got the Makita 18V Ni-Cad by the way.

So far pleased with it, it makes holes in walls and drives in screws...job done

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Which Drill/Driver
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 05:23:17 pm »
Makita if you want durability, de walt saves a bit on that, Bosch and B&D if you won't use it much, the cheap ones only for very occasional use.