Forum Information > Questions and Queries

Question for the electrical gurus.

(1/2) > >>

Jamieg285:
Yes, I know you're out there

I'm running a dual fan setup, currently with a 2 relay setup, with fans running in parallel.

On dark rainy nights, I find that my alternator cannot keep up with the headlights (also relayed), wipers and rear defogger and then fans on top of that, with the voltage dropping below 12 on the dash guage (normally runs a healthy 13ish).

I've read about running the fans in series instead, where the aim is to make them run slower (combined with a more complicated circuit to also give them a high speed state).  If I run then in series, with the voltage drop be less, i.e. will I avoid the state where I am asking too much of the alternator?

On a related note, there is a big surge when the fans first kick in. Will that be any worse, or better if the fans are in series?

art b:
just thinking aloud ...

surely running fans slower will reduce the cooling..

does it need 2 fans ,

can they be wired to come on separately on thermostats [stats that fit in the pipework]
so one can kick in,later and for for less time than the other ?

Jamieg285:
Quoting: art bsurely running fans slower will reduce the cooling..

does it need 2 fans ,

can they be wired to come on separately on thermostats [stats that fit in the pipework]
so one can kick in,later and for for less time than the other ?

Yes, you're right on all of that.  

I'm looking to see if I can do a low/high setup, by running them in series/parallel.  Initially it would be low triggered by the temp sensor, with high being an optional manual override. If I think it's worth spending some more, I may get a 2nd, higher value temp sensor to auto trigger the high mode.

I just wanted to know what the draw implications would be when running the fans in series.

Roadkill:
What size (diameter) are the fans ?

I was running 1 Spal on the Camaro, connected to an inline sensor.

I don't know about the wiring side but would suggest two is overkill . . . especially as one would be more efficient than the original belt-driven one, anyway.

Jamieg285:
Quoting: RoadkillWhat size (diameter) are the fans ?

Pass.  It's the fan setup that was originally cooling your LT1

It's a 4th gen dual fan, complete with original shroud.

AFAIK, originally it worked from the PCM which would fire up one based on water temp and the other if AC was on or it got really hot.

I could wire them individually, but I'd prefer both on at the same time.

BTW, 2 on full (in parallel) certainly works well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version