Forum Information > Questions and Queries

anyone know about NAS drives?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Big Mouse:
Quoting: ianjpageOK, simply put a NAS drive is that a (N) Network (A) Attached (S) storage deivce so it doesn't require anything in the pc, it's normally a standalone box that has 1 or more HDD's in which you link into your wired or wireless network.

For what you're looking to do you WILL need more than a 2Gig setup, i'd think a minimum of 2TB (Terabyte) and i'd sugggest for backup / data recovery you'd be best with a multiple drive system, either 2 drives mirrored (meaning the same data is saved on both discs) or a 4 drive RAID system (where the system is written in a special way that the data can be recovered in a faulty drive situation)

It all comes down to cost and what you want, have a look on Ebuyer / Overclockers at NAS system by Buffalo, Synergy, Linksys or Netgear and as you say, look fr one that has DNLA or media Streaming capability

Hope that helps, if you need any more info lemme know and ill try to reply before we leave the US, if not we back next fri so can answer then

Thanks for the advice Ian

I meant to say 2 TB not 2 gb, my bad.

I'll get looking, and have something here next week. Tea and bacon butty's on me if you can help me install and set up once you're back and settled in?

Any advice on ripping software that will convert to a suitable format?

cheers

Ray

Big Mouse:
Quoting: TitsyDrobo I only need something to hold a couple of hundred dvds not host Microsofts library

art b:
Quoting: TitsyDrobo

thats a bit harsh..

he only asked a simple question ...

Jamieg285:
Quoting: Big MouseAny advice on ripping software that will convert to a suitable format?

I was going to ask you how you were going to do it.  I'll watch with interest to see how it's done, as I'd like to digitise my library too if it's possible.

Big Mouse:
Got this bad boy heading my way in the morning

http://www.ebuyer.com/507127-synology-ds213j-2tb-wd-red-hdd-2-bay-desktop-nas-ds213j-2tb-red

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version