Author Topic: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac - PROJECT THREAD  (Read 16774 times)

Andy

Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac - PROJECT THREAD
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2014, 03:30:56 pm »
As an added note, will be taking all the bits home with me this weekend as there's the possibility of driving over to MK so can drop it all off.

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:55 pm »
This is looking mega exciting!!

Was chatting to Andy ^^ about this at the weekend. Really looking forward to seeing the new lump sat in the rails! :D
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2014, 08:15:11 pm »
I'll need an army of volunteers to help lift the body from the chassis some point next year, first . . .

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2014, 08:33:57 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
I'll need an army of volunteers to help lift the body from the chassis some point next year, first . . .

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2014, 05:44:57 pm »
I should say lift off . . and on . . . and off again . . then probably back on, before taking it back off.

I know I'll need to cut a section out the floor but won't know how much until the engine is in the frame . . . . I can't put the engine in the frame without the body coming off first.

Catch 22, really.  There's no easy way, though . . . the Camaro was simple compared to the Caddy.

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2014, 03:47:09 pm »
Well I'm local mate so put a shout out on here! Best to let Andy know though as I don't get on here too often but more than willing to help out!

Having to take the whole body off to get the engine in place? Thought about front end options? Making a one piece flip front or something? Just in the event of the unthinkable happening... Whole body off to get the engine out is a crying shame.

I'm now going to go back through the thread in case I've missed something haha
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2014, 04:27:33 pm »
Besides body on/off scenario...

What are you thinking air ride wise?

Have you spoken to the Penguin Speed Shop guys? They have some really good contacts for stuff from the states now and seem to be the only people air riding everything that comes near them!

Not much on their site but give em a call and have a chat to them.

http://www.penguinspeedshop.com/

They are hopefully sorting me some cool bits for my 31.
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2014, 09:32:25 am »
Quoting: Ralph
Thought about front end options? Making a one piece flip front or something?

Mmmm, yes!!

Similar to:

Okay, you would lose the cool old-skool 'hood' opening, however, I think that is an acceptable compromise to have much better engine access.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »
Well I'm local mate so put a shout out on here! Best to let Andy know though as I don't get on here too often but more than willing to help out!

Noted and thank you.

Having to take the whole body off to get the engine in place?

No, not to get it in, to get it to fit . . . there'll be frame and body modifications to get the motor and trans to fit so the best way to attack it is with the body off . . . initially.  Once the engine and trans are fixed, it'll be a case of offering the body up a few times and seeing how much needs to be cut out.

Making a one piece flip front or something?

No, definitely not.  It's not the look or style I'm going for and with all that chrome (that I intend to keep) it wouldn't work.

Interesting - I'll look them up.  Ta.  

Roadkill

« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2014, 08:53:36 pm »
Any way . . . Where am I ?

Had some issues with the parts Andy produced for me . . or should I say fitting the parts . . . Nothing to do with Andy but an obvious failure between myself and our workshop ended up with ALL of the holes on the plenums being too small.

I managed to resolve the issue with the smaller holes quite easily by opening them out with a step-drill and shaving a little off the stubs on a baby lathe but there was no easy fix for the larger diameter, longer tubes (watch this space).

Some pics . . .

Plenums with balancing tube stubs and 1/4" NPT vacuum take-offs TiG'ed in place . . . Plus the "handed" lids fresh from the laser-cutter.

Edges cleaned up.

All TiG'ed from the inside (I had my reasons).

Next, on Christmas eve, I tapped out the 24 x M8 holes and fitted the "studs" which locate the 8 x 2bbl carbs.  The 4 x black tubes are silicone and are just loose-fitted for now to check alignment with the ports.

(Two vacuum take-offs - one for the PCV valve and one for the power brake booster)

Lids are only sat on top for now as I need to get the other bits TiG'ed in place first.

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2015, 09:45:31 am »
Ah awesome, yes that makes perfect sense about taking the body off.

That is one mad looking intake, really looking forward to seeing it mate with the motor!
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »
. . . an obvious failure between myself and our workshop ended up with ALL of the holes on the plenums being too small.

I managed to resolve the issue with the smaller holes quite easily by opening them out with a step-drill and shaving a little off the stubs on a baby lathe but there was no easy fix for the larger diameter, longer tubes (watch this space).

Space watched ?  

Anyway, the issue with the larger tubes is now resolved, took a bit of faffing, but got there in the end.

Meaning the next job was to use the off-cut of the larger tubes to start test forming one end into a rectangular-shape for the ports.

I had loads of mental ideas, but spoke to the workshop and got their feedback . . . long story short, I ignored it all and did my own thing - pictures below is the first attempt with an off-cut . . .

It's about 90% where I want it to be . . . I'm going to make a "male" tool to press into the rectangular end to even the sides out but, to be honest, it's use able as is.

I've got two more off-cuts to test on but don't think 'll need them . . really happy with the results . . .

Next job is to design the "male" tool and have the workshop make it (or most of it) - then actually form the 8 intake runner tubes . . . .

Slowly, slowly . . . but today was a major hurdle crossed.  

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:39 pm »
really happy with the results . . .

How did you do that?

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:10 am »
Doesn't look too bad, did you have something wedged in there and pressed them?

If so make sure they don't warp at the top end.
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2015, 05:23:18 pm »
Price confirmed for the 8 x 2bbl Stromberg '97's and linkage . . . £1,805.  Cash !!!

Still, that's the second-from-last major expense before I hit the "start project" button.

Need to do some saving.  Or rob a banker.  

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »
... So how did you do the cylinder thing?

Roadkill

« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:12 pm »
I'll take some pictures when I do them for real .... It's pretty crude, but apparently works.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2015, 09:36:37 am »

Price confirmed for the 8 x 2bbl Stromberg '97's and linkage . . . £1,805. Cash !!

Yikes, definitely not cheap, but will look when done!

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:52 am »
Going for the full 8!! Nice!

I will just leave this here for you...

Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2015, 11:27:56 am »
Must admit I was tempted by the blower but I really do want to keep it under the hood !

At least on this project anyway . . . Project 3 will be a different story.  

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
Re: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac - PROJECT THREAD
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »
Instantly excited by 'Project 3' haha Gonna have one hell of a mean garage when you are done sir!

Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:25 am »
I'll just point out at this moment that I haven't forgotten about this project . . . . There's been zero progress on the intake (despite my constant pestering) so nothing's happened.

I am saving for the carbs, and am a bit closer in that respect, at least but won't buy them until the intake is finished.  :can:

Roadkill

« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2015, 12:39:41 pm »
Another 2 months and still nothing.

I've pestered the workshop constantly and also looked at alternatives but I'm getting nowhere.  Looking back it would've been quicker to learn to TiG and do it myself but the whole idea of this manifold, despite being complex, was to save time by getting someone else to do it.

I've started speaking to a guy in New Mexico about some options . . . Ironically he's out of stock of the main item I need so I'll have to wait as the item in question is cast in limited numbers.
It was one of my original ideas that I moved away from after I thought I'd found someone to fabricate the steel tubing kit I first bought . . . Wish i'd just "gone with it" at the time as I would be 9 months further a head by now.

I'll be collecting what parts I do have from the workshop shortly as it's clear it won't be getting done there.

:down:

Roadkill

« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2015, 08:45:13 am »
What a terrible waste of effort and time.  :(

I've lost count of how many uninterested people I've asked to fabricate my manifold design for me . . . . it's no wonder engineering in Britain is going down the pan when no one seems to give a $hit !!

Any way.  A glimmer of hope . . .

From what I gather, one of the "big 3" (or only 3) in Cadillac performance parts in the U.S has sold-off his business to one of the others (apparently the other lot - the ones who didn't build my engine) and they've now started re-developing certain parts which they now have rights to.

One of these such parts is a massive-plenum intake manifold . . . . Typically used for forced induction.

Long story short, I've had my name down for the first one off the production line with the new, closed-up base and reduced-height (smaller) plenum.

The part has now been cast, checked, machined and is boxed up waiting to ship.

It'll still need work to make it flow n/a (and it'll need a lid making for it) but it gets round most of the issues I have with fabrication and production.  It should also give me a few more millimetres clearance to play with later.

It's not the route I wanted to take at all, but the Caddy project is stalling before it's even started !!!

At least with the intake, I can move on to the next item(s) on the shopping list . . . . and that's one step closer to physically starting.

It's never easy, though . . . . . :can:

Roadkill

« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2015, 07:53:27 pm »
Even I'm getting bored of this.

Not much of an update but I have paid for the intake manifold base and am just waiting for it to be shipped . . . it's been a few weeks so I'm getting nervous with them having my money with nothing to see for it.

Thankfully (??) I paid via Paypal so I'm safe (for now) if something goes wrong . . . . I really hope it doesn't, though, as this is my last option for a interesting intake for the big Cadillac mill.

On a side note I've also progressed the "home foundry" a bit and have started collecting cast ally pieces in readiness . . . . . for something.