General MKB > Music & Movies

Time for a TV upgrade...

(1/9) > >>

FUBAR:
With a bit of a living room re-jig on the cards in the near future, and having just had a relatively cheap RC weekend I've decided to upgrade my TV from my "has a niggling injury" Panasonic 37" to this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55lb650v-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd/p1391160
and this
http://www.johnlewis.com/yamaha-ysp-2500-bluetooth-soundbar-with-wireless-subwoofer-black/p1776543

The TV is going to be wall mounted between the windows in my front room.
I decided not to go to a 4K TV just yet, mainly because there are currently NO broadcasts on Freeview HD in 4K (I don't have sky, and I don't think even they do) and you can still not buy True 4K Bluray Discs. Also my Internet connection is still too slow to stream a video on Youtube or Facebook without me getting a serious case of 'bufferface' so I can't stream 4K content either.

The Yamaha soundbar choice was a simple one, albeit more expensive than I would have liked, aside from glowing (professional) reviews online this was the only one sold by JL that has both Ethernet and RCA (2-phono) inputs as well as Bluetooth streaming and the usual optical & HDMI connections.  Because my PC is not in the living room anymore I wanted the choice of playing music there either by plugging in my iPod or Bluetooth from other devices as well as streaming music content from my PC / NAS storage in the future.  This one is also designed to sit on a shelf, so because the TV will be above a Radiator I have to fit a shelf or Rad cabinet to deflect the heat away from the TV, it made perfect sense.  The wireless subwoofer is a common feature across most soundbars but is handy because I can plug it in behind /under the Sofa where it is out of the way.
+ Its Yamaha... they know audio stuff  :rock:

Incursus:
:cool:

[/quote]

--- Quote from: FUBAR on May 04, 2015, 10:08:08 am ---The Yamaha soundbar choice was a simple one, albeit more expensive than I would have liked, aside from glowing (professional) reviews online this was the only one sold by JL that has both Ethernet and RCA (2-phono) inputs as well as Bluetooth streaming and the usual optical & HDMI connections.  Because my PC is not in the living room anymore I wanted the choice of playing music there either by plugging in my iPod or Bluetooth from other devices as well as streaming music content from my PC / NAS storage in the future.  This one is also designed to sit on a shelf, so because the TV will be above a Radiator I have to fit a shelf or Rad cabinet to deflect the heat away from the TV, it made perfect sense.  The wireless subwoofer is a common feature across most soundbars but is handy because I can plug it in behind /under the Sofa where it is out of the way
--- End quote ---

:up: We did look at this one but went for the Sonos system in the end with 2x play 1's for the kitchen and bedroom.

Roadkill:
Errr, 55" ?

Don't you think that's a bit big for your room ? . . . When I bought the TV for my lounge, the rule of thumb suggested a 37" and I went with 40" (to be on the safe side).

I sit up to 4m away from the TV and, after several years, the size is still more than sufficient (I can even tell what's going on without my contacts in !).

If you wall mount it between the two windows (ie. viewing across the shortest dimension of the room) you'll have, maybe 2.5-3m viewing distance, at most ??

Don't get me wrong, I don't follow technology so can't say what's a good telly or not but I do have common sense and that tells me that a 55" is going to be over-sized for your room.

I've got onto the subject of TV's with a few people I deal with at work (who really DO know their stuff) and they tend to suggest that, when it comes to TV's, bigger is NOT necessarily better.

I honestly think you'll be wasting your money.

Just my 2c.

art b:
i dunno
 no one goes to the cinema and says the screen was too big,  ???

i have the 100 inch [why are we still using inches...?] projector screen, 8)
 that is fecking big but great for gigs and movies...

Roadkill:
Each to their own I suppose . . . the guy across the street has a 50-odd" telly proudly mounted up on his wall for all to see and I can watch that quite clearly from my own living room !

The cinema's a bit different - a lot in short doses . . . but try sitting in the first 5 rows, then you'd be moaning, whether it be for 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Again, each to their own . . . I'm planning an upgrade next year but it'll be another 40" (if they even still make them that small then).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version