Author Topic: Umm Bacon.  (Read 1582 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:59:40 pm »
Me likes bacon

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:18:47 pm »
erm

Andy

Umm Bacon.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »
'5-star crash rating' - I'm not seeing that as safe

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:38:24 pm »
its safe enough if you crash in to another mini... but if you hit a truck/lorry/van/anything larger...

you're screwed !

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:49 pm »
Mmm Bacon

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »
ok then./....bacon it is mmmmmmmmmmm

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:53:49 pm »
Quoting: EDGE
its safe enough if you crash in to another mini... but if you hit a truck/lorry/van/anything larger...

you're screwed !

common misconception young grasshopper - 5 stars is 5 stars, its the same test for all vehicles. there was vid a while ago of a new mini crashing into an F150 lightning - the mini DESTROYED the truck!

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:01:22 pm »
ok how about a tree

Andy

Umm Bacon.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:15:30 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
common misconception young grasshopper - 5 stars is 5 stars, its the same test for all vehicles. there was vid a while ago of a new mini crashing into an F150 lightning - the mini DESTROYED the truck!

The only thing i could find was this article on bridger.us in which both were crashed into an offset barrier.

I still reckon if those two went into each other the mini driver would get at least a bumper through the screen.
Bridger.us article

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:17:00 pm »
they always used to be based on the size of the car...  thats why cars were safest in their class

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:19:58 pm »
Quoting: Andy
The only thing i could find was this article on bridger.us in which both were crashed into an offset barrier.

I still reckon if those two went into each other the mini driver would get at least a bumper through the screen.
Bridger.us article

actually, youre right, its all just based on hitting a deformable concrete block, overlapping the car by 40%... if you hit a mini in to a truck theres gonna be carnage, its not just about size,

i bet an 18 weeler semi doesnt fare particularly well against a brick wall but smash it in to a 5 star mini and id REALLY rather be in the truck!!!

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »
here's how the americans do it...

#

# How does NHTSA categorize vehicles?

NHTSA categorizes vehicles by vehicle class and "curb" weight. Curb weight represents the weight of a vehicle with standard equipment including the maximum capacity of fuel, oil, coolant, and air conditioning, if so equipped. Passenger cars are further subdivided.

* Passenger cars mini (PC/Mi) (1,500-1,999 lbs. curb weight)
        * Passenger cars light (PC/L) (2,000-2,499 lbs. curb weight)
        * Passenger cars compact (PC/C) (2,500-2,999 lbs. curb weight)
        * Passenger cars medium (PC/Me) (3,000-3,499 lbs. curb weight)
        * Passenger cars heavy (PC/H) (3,500 lbs. and over curb weight.)
        * Sport utility vehicles (SUV)
        * Pickup trucks (PU)
        * Vans (VAN)

[PAGE TOP]

# Can I compare vehicles from different classes?

Side crash rating results can be compared across all classes because all vehicles are hit with the same force by the same moving barrier.

Rollover ratings can also be compared across all classes.

Frontal crash rating results can only be compared to other vehicles in the same class and whose weight is plus or minus 250 lbs of the vehicle being rated. This is so because a frontal crash rating into a fixed barrier represents a crash between two vehicles of the same weight. Examples:

* It would not be permissible to compare the frontal crash results of a 4,500 lb SUV with those of a 3,000 sedan (different classes and exceeds the weight requirement).
        * It would not be permissible to compare the frontal crash results of a 3,600 lb pickup with those of a 3,400 lb van (meets the weight requirement, but different classes).
        * It would be correct to compare the frontal crash results of a 3,400 lb passenger car with a 3650 lb passenger car (same class and meets the weight requirement).

that last paragraph is the same for all cars, obviously you're crashing it into a solid block, so its not representative of another vehcle anyway

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »
-fin-

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »
this is why the euro NCAP system is becoming a world standard. (this newer american system is closer to NCAP) its more of a real world test. also it changed a few years ago to represent the fact that small cars often crash into big cars and vice versa.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »
Quoting: Gator
ok how about a tree

depends if the tree has airbags.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 01:46:51 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
this is why the euro NCAP system is becoming a world standard. (this newer american system is closer to NCAP) its more of a real world test. also it changed a few years ago to represent the fact that small cars often crash into big cars and vice versa.

so the bold paragraph still stands

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Umm Bacon.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »
More importantly.  Mmm Bacon!