Author Topic: New Daily Hack, FAO Mondeo Peeps - q's inside  (Read 1442 times)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
New Daily Hack, FAO Mondeo Peeps - q's inside
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »
Well deicded the little subaru i had was, well too small(!) it was making my back/shoulders ache, so just flogged that today to the mother in law, so needed to get a daily hack for the MK -> Hemel daily run So picked this lil mondy off ebay tonight:

Not a bad car at all, 2.0L 16v, 1997 with 96k on the clock, automatic (so vicky can drive it as well), fairly clean and tidy - few scratches on the buimpers but no major issue, interior is really clean although needs febreezing (smokers car syndrome), comes with 4 months tax and 8 month MOT!

Cost me 360 quid so not bad

Q's for the mondy lot out there (im talking CP here lol) - what are the main thingst o watch / check for, also what service interval is the CAM belt due (as got no history with it), anything to check that could cause issues.....

cheers

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:15:17 pm »
I love my 2.0 Mondy

Andy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:15:26 pm »
I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but auto Mondeos come up cheap at 100k because they go far too often.

On the old fordmondeo.org there was a lot of people talking about how the box went at or around 100k almost as though it was programmed in or something bizarre! Some survived, but they unfortunately come up cheap on eBay and other places because getting shot of them with a box still working is the best option.

Apart from that, the cam belt on the diesels are at 75k or 5 years after the first one is replaced. The 2l in a '96 will be a silver top i believe and not much different apart from the fuel consumption from the 1.8l, still a good engine though.

Other common problems, damp or condensation on the inside after short periods of being laid up. Can be caused by a knackered pollen filter (under windscreen cowling) where the seal around the filter breaks down and lets water into the bulkhead and into the passenger foot well. If left unchanged and in a manky condition it can cause the area around the bulkhead to rot and never seal properly.

Another cause can be from water getting in via the rear light clusters. It can seem odd as first signs of this can be damp passenger and driver footwells. Best way to cure that is with some sealer or removing them and getting some self adhesive sponge stuff they use for door areas.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:48:54 am »
Cheers Andy, fair enough - the box feels to be good at the mo, will check the fluid properly at the weekend but so long as it lasts a few months till i sort me vehicles out proper then should be good.

Will have  a check on the filter (i take it you got to remove the cowl to get to the filter?)

Don't think there any damp/water marks, although will check though!

Andy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:31:17 am »
Yeah sorry Ian, it is about the only major problem with the car. Apart from that they're pretty bullet proof (mine hasn't died yet!).

First signs will be condensation on the inside when left. Typical damp interior situation. It's pretty bad in my brothers and I keep telling him to check the filter and or rear lights but i think he just puts up with it.

To get at it can be quite tricky and there is a routine as to remove the black cowling you have to remove the whole lot but only some of the screws can be reached with the bonnet up and some with the bonnet down. The first time I did it, it was a bit of an up and down affair!

It should be a straight forward spring clip undo (watch your fingers, they're vicious!) and replace. It's best to get a torch and check the condition down there just in case there is stuff like leaves or that stuck there.

A blocked pollen filter can also be shown up by rubbish air flow from the heater. If you dont have an electric screen this can make demisting in the morning really long!

I think i said to Fieldy when he got his, first place to rust most of the time is the rear arches. If they look good the rest of the car generally should be sound.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:02:54 am »
dont forget to put duct tape on ya bumpers....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:54 am »
Quoting: art b
dont forget to put duct tape on ya bumpers..

You know what I don't see that many with that on! There was a phase about a year ago where near enough EVERY mk2 had duct tape on. Probably due to the scrappage scheme though

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:56:27 am »
i'm pretty sure (although one of the ford peeps will likey be able to confirm or deny) the cam belt on the black top zetec is 100,000 miles / 10 years?

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »
Quoting: Andy
Yeah sorry Ian, it is about the only major problem with the car. Apart from that they're pretty bullet proof (mine hasn't died yet!).

First signs will be condensation on the inside when left. Typical damp interior situation. It's pretty bad in my brothers and I keep telling him to check the filter and or rear lights but i think he just puts up with it.

To get at it can be quite tricky and there is a routine as to remove the black cowling you have to remove the whole lot but only some of the screws can be reached with the bonnet up and some with the bonnet down. The first time I did it, it was a bit of an up and down affair!

It should be a straight forward spring clip undo (watch your fingers, they're vicious!) and replace. It's best to get a torch and check the condition down there just in case there is stuff like leaves or that stuck there.

A blocked pollen filter can also be shown up by rubbish air flow from the heater. If you dont have an electric screen this can make demisting in the morning really long!

I think i said to Fieldy when he got his, first place to rust most of the time is the rear arches. If they look good the rest of the car generally should be sound.

Cool, well as i say it got a few miles in it yet it looks like...so we'll see!!

Hmm can't say i noticed any, but will check tonight when get in as it sat in cold carpark at the mo!

Sounds a fun job...not....will have alooky the weekend if we get chance..

Wheel arches are fine just some bumper scratches

Andy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 12:52:01 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
Sounds a fun job...not....will have alooky the weekend if we get chance..

I'm probably making it out to be far worse than it actually is

What's the autobox like? Is it fairly responsive to kick down and the like?

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 02:39:16 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
i'm pretty sure (although one of the ford peeps will likey be able to confirm or deny) the cam belt on the black top zetec is 100,000 miles / 10 years?

Spot on sir.

Ian, I would run the car for a while to get an idea of how good it is, if it serves you fine I would do the cambelt and tensioner soon. (£260+ for a pro to do it).

dont forget to put duct tape on ya bumpers....

How true is that. Why why why. Just replace the bumper or don't bother.

IJP, just be careful with the bumpers to be fair, they are very fragile

I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but auto Mondeos come up cheap at 100k because they go far too often.

That may be true (have little knowledge of the Auto box), but don't forget there are plenty of them out there which dilutes the market price and people prefer the manual box because of the perceived running cost difference between the two.

It looks very clean buddy, you *may* have yourself a good car there.

I found boot lock electrics commonly do not work (the push button), but just use the key. Electric windows can be a bit slow and tired, but with a bit of jiggling :boobs: of the wiring, they usually work again.

Apart from that, give the filter a change and oil (cheap, under £20 to do) and see how it does.

Also, inflate your tyres to 33psi for improved MPG (a big difference can be seen - 20/30 more miles per tank).

It also may be just my perception, but they seem to prefer BP unleaded - but I won't go too much in to the debate as we have discussed different fuel suppliers lots on here. Just make up your own mind.

Anything else I can think of, I'll let you know..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »
Oh and please put that middle vent back straight. I hate when people have vents at different angles or some on some off

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 03:16:03 pm »

I'm probably making it out to be far worse than it actually is

What's the autobox like? Is it fairly responsive to kick down and the like?

lol well best to know either way though!

Yeah it fairness it is pretty good, smooth changes, quick kick down, goes well in sport mode

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Quoting: philoldsmobile

Spot on sir.

Ian, I would run the car for a while to get an idea of how good it is, if it serves you fine I would do the cambelt and tensioner soon. (£260+ for a pro to do it).

Okies cheers - that was the whole plan, run it probably till new year (i.e. after christmas expense) then get the belt & tensioner done by a garage, don't fancy doing it meslef!

How true is that. Why why why. Just replace the bumper or don't bother.

IJP, just be careful with the bumpers to be fair, they are very fragile

Hmm fair enough, have to be extra careful then as they got scratches / chips on em already....

That may be true (have little knowledge of the Auto box), but don't forget there are plenty of them out there which dilutes the market price and people prefer the manual box because of the perceived running cost difference between the two.

It looks very clean buddy, you *may* have yourself a good car there.

I hope so (fingers crossed), be nice if it was cos is cheap

I found boot lock electrics commonly do not work (the push button), but just use the key. Electric windows can be a bit slow and tired, but with a bit of jiggling :boobs: of the wiring, they usually work again.

What push button do you speak of ? ?

Windows seem OK at the moment.....noticed this morning the speaker in passenger door is tempremental though!

Apart from that, give the filter a change and oil (cheap, under £20 to do) and see how it does.

:roger: okies noted

Also, inflate your tyres to 33psi for improved MPG (a big difference can be seen - 20/30 more miles per tank).

:roger:2 noted as well.

Anything else I can think of, I'll let you know..

Oh and please put that middle vent back straight. I hate when people have vents at different angles or some on some off

LMAO no not gunna..........ah ok too late already fixed it when i picked it up (the pics are the ebay sale ones!)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 03:25:31 pm »
What push button do you speak of ? ?

The one on the boot, the push-lock thingy..

LMAO no not gunna..........ah ok too late already fixed it when i picked it up (the pics are the ebay sale ones!)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 03:34:47 pm »

The one on the boot, the push-lock thingy..

dont remember seeing one...

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 03:53:11 pm »
Way Hey Mondeo man

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »
This was once an American car club.

Then it became a Camaro owners club.

Then it became a bikers club.

I guess it's natural evolution, it's becoming a Mondeo owners club now

What will the next guise be?  

(p.s. all in jest, so don't get het up over it)

Roadkill

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:58 pm »
Quoting: Jamieg285
Then it became a Camaro owners club

Amen, Brother.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:06:53 pm »

Andy

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 05:16:46 pm »
We can make it sound more American by referring to them as Countours as they're known Stateside!

Air vent thingy, 110%!!! Had a friend move one the other day, had to wait for them to look the other way before moving it back!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:45:34 pm »
dont forget to put duct tape on ya bumpers..

You know what I don't see that many with that on! There was a phase about a year ago where near enough EVERY mk2 had duct tape on. Probably due to the scrappage scheme though

You just wait until after the next bout of snow & Ice... (so next week then) there'll be loads again.

Just to make this more american:
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »
I found boot lock electrics commonly do not work (the push button), but just use the key.

checked and it works

Andy

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
Oh, and boot ties! The little plastic hook things that hold the parcel shelf up. If they're in tact look after them and treat them with respect as they tend to go when you have a feck load of shopping or are trying your best to fit an 4x10 bass cab in your boot.

After a year of leaving the shelf out, i saw a solution at FITP this year, very argicultural though. Steel wire with eyes in each end and those tacky fake climbing clips. Jobs a good'un!

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:20 pm »

interesting though, this is something we learned from the Ouse Valley car club.

While primarily an American car club, we found that most owners of American cars had at least one other area of interest, the most popular being classic cars (ask most yank owners if they like Jags, and you will get a very high agreement rate) in fact, most of us here have been through many humbers / cortinas/ zodiacs / beetles etc. I know for a fact that Hard Rock and Edge get all foamy over old 80's porsche 911 turbos and De loreans. (i have to agree, too)

another popular crossover is hotrods and Kustoms, the VW world gets a big look in too. my alternative line of cars was always prestige / performance cars - I so very nearly came away from eadys with a manual jaguar XJ-S the day i bought the camaro.. and porsche 944's tickle my fancy, along with alfa lancia and maserati.

In that vein, we felt that keeping it a 'car' club kept it interesting, sadly a lack of commitment meant the club went separate ways, but the core idea was very sound. the narrower you keep the line of thinking, the more likely people are to drop off the radar, as so few people tend to only drive one marque or nationality of car their whole lives.

I for one would definitely love to see some VW's and old classics turn up to the meets, and the odd aston martin and jaguar would defiantly be more than welcome too in my book.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »
hmm, wonder if anyone would feel meets less interesting if any of these turned up once in a while... before you say unlikely, ALL of these cars can be found for under £15,000  

[img]http://damox.com/cars/thumbs/Delorean/1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

£15,000 buys a T&T'd runner, possibly the most insane, coolest car ever built?

[img]http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2000-2003/2003-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-Black-City-1280x960.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

as low as £5000 for a useable one, even less if its rough. Supercharged V8 sound good to anyone?

[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/indian-car-scene/63459d1224852434-best-worst-car-rear-light-design-maserati-3200-gt..jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>
£10,000 puts you in the drivers seat £15k buys a cracker, twin turbo V8, buy the right one, and you get a VERY fast, very strong reliable supercar.

[img]http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/1972_Datsun_240Z_Front_1.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>
£7000 buys a really useable example.. reliable, quite quick, and oh so pretty