Author Topic: Running in periods and revs  (Read 640 times)

Flitwick stang

• View Profile
Running in periods and revs
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:02:33 pm »
Just had some work done on my stang: Cylinder block honed, new valve guides, valves reseated - so now running it in again.

What is the general concensus on running in periods, speeds and rev ranges?

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:18:55 pm »
I would keep the revs low say 3k for a couple of hundred miles

sixpack2639

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:00:03 am »
This is what I do when breaking in a newly built motor and it has worked for me without fault.

1. Run engine for 25-30 minutes @ a constant 2000rpm. (Especially if running in a new cam.)

2. Immediatly change oil and filter while hot. (Gets rid of anything that may have gotten into engine durring build up and initial startup flakes of metal from cylinder walls and rings.)

3. Run conservativly for 500 miles. (No raceing or high revving, always staying below 3000rpm, making minor adjustments to carb settings, timing, etc. as needed.)

4. Change oil and filter. (I know it can be a PITA but always change oil and filter when engine is at normal operating temperature, never cold. But you already know that i'm sure.)

5. DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!

I have built many engines over the last 25 years and with this process I have never had an engine fail. Mind, this is just my way. Others may have just as good of processes they use.

Cheers, Carl

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:12:24 am »
I'd agree with Carl.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 10:06:56 am »
carl seems to have covered most of it,
although some people recomend varying the revs to place different stresses on different parts over the running in period,would depend on extent of the rebuild
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: