Author Topic: What Times are Drag Racers Most Interested in???  (Read 691 times)

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
What Times are Drag Racers Most Interested in???
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:57:19 am »
I'm proposing a change to DriftBox/PerformanceBox at the moment to reallocate distance-time measurements on one of the displays... At the moment it will give times for 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and 1 mile preset; and has a configurable value in feet...

Keeping the ratio of 3 preset and 1 configurable, which distance times are drag racers actually mosst interested in???

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:01:18 am »
60'
1/4 et
1/4 terminal speed

those are the only 3 i'd worry about..

I'd like to see a "Launch G" feature as then you can tell if your launching the same each time...  so when you change tyres or suspension you can see if it helps.  Coupled to rear wheel speed sensors (and front wheel as that wont spin) you can see how much wheel slip you have when you launch.  This would help getting off te line and you'd see te results in the 60' box at th top ..

see how well that all worked out

EDGE

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:24:06 am »
I'd say the 330' and 1/8 is more important than the 1/4. The 1/4 only givers you the time elapsed and the speed over the line, it doesn't tell you where you picked up the time.

I'd go 60', 330'and 660', most of your accelleration rate is going to be over that distance and where you're more likely to be affected by other factors i.e. wheel spin, keeping the car straight, suspension issues etc; thats where most drag races are won IMHO, not at the finish line. Any increase in that part of the track is going to be multiplied at the 1/4 anyway.

If your 1/4 times drop and there is no difference in the 60, 330 or 660 then you know you're picking up speed in the final 1/8 (unlikley unless you have big turbos kicking in) the car is usually settled by the 660 mark so you'll gain more information from monitoring the early stage than the latter

Your timing ticket will give you this data

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:01:46 am »
Timing tickets I've seen give the 60', 330', 1/8mile (660'), 1000', and 1/4mile times, But from what you guys have said I'm guessing that a setup with a variable that could be set to 60' and constants of the 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 mile would satisfy most racers...

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:17:28 pm »
Should do