Author Topic: Steering / Front Knock?  (Read 728 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Steering / Front Knock?
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:05:34 am »
Since replacing my coil spring, there has been a knock every now and then from the same side, it doesn't happen if stationary and moving the wheel from side to side, but it does when changing direction and moving - for example parking

I'm thinking it's something to do with the drive shaft / CV joint? Any ideas?

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

Steering / Front Knock?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
This on your Mondy?

It could be a number of things. I have a similar problem but its not always there.

I think its wishbone bush, but am not 100% remove the wheel and have a good look around to see if the outside is perished.

Check out the Gaiter on the cv joint and check it for play,  (remove the wheel and replace one of the wheel nuts or just rotate using the studs rather than the disc while holding on to the drive shaft. I tried rotating the disc and took me a while to realise all the play was the float front disc.)

Mine started making a similar sort of noise after I had some MOT work done that included replacing the shocks and springs. Found out to my cost its always a good idea to get them done at the same time.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Steering / Front Knock?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:40:54 am »
Quoting: Andy
This on your Mondy?

Yah, sorry should have stated...

Check out the Gaiter on the cv joint and check it for play

C.V Boot seems in good condition..

I think its wishbone bush

interesting, okay, think I will have to get the wheel off and look around..

I tried rotating the disc and took me a while to realise all the play was the float front disc.)

So yours was play in the disc / hub? What did you have to replace? New disc?

Found out to my cost its always a good idea to get them done at the same time

Discs?

Cheers
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

Steering / Front Knock?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:51:10 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
So yours was play in the disc / hub? What did you have to replace? New disc?

Nah, sorry to confuse. I thought I had a really worn CV joint, the fact I could turn about 2-3mm while holding the disc and driveshaft. That took me a while to realise that is the floating disc on the studs. The 2-3mm was it moving on the studs. Felt a bit of a plum as I'd already looked at replacing the CV joint.

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Found out to my cost its always a good idea to get them done at the same time

I had to have the springs replaced as one had broken (very common) and was advised to get both sides done via MEG. Once I had those replaced about a week or so later the front end became very floaty, the shocks then needed replacing. As I had found out afterwards its a good idea to get the whole lot done at once, rather than two visits to the garage and two lots of parts.

It was only after the last visit that my car developed a low speed thunk, or when turning. Though saying that, it hasn't happened lately.

Another thing to check would be the steering links bushes also.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Steering / Front Knock?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »
easy to check a CV joint...

reverse on full lock, if its worn, you will get a loud clicking noise...