Author Topic: thats a damned good idea....  (Read 839 times)

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
thats a damned good idea....
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:58:36 pm »
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17390

a GPS based speed limiter, that allows full speed only at a track, otherwise its limited to 111mph

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 03:00:42 pm »
Just means it will be hacked around

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 03:33:47 pm »
why 111mph
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 04:03:19 pm »
Quoting: art b
why 111mph

Some sort of legislation in Japan

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 04:09:45 pm »
more bloody electronics

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 06:01:21 pm »
oh yep, the jap grey imports like mine, were limited to 112.....

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 06:33:04 pm »
Dont get it ??? why cant the driver control the speed and when the car does it ??

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 09:33:18 pm »
Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
Dont get it ??? why cant the driver control the speed

coz sadly there are too many pricks that think its clever to drive at 150 mph on the road...

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 10:20:44 pm »
True.

Its good that the technology is improving. I wounder if we'll see a day when GPS recognises each area and its speed limit which then enables / disables a cars speed capacity thus rendering it impossible to speed

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 10:34:17 pm »
At first glance it's a good idea.

But in reality it isn't.  If I go through a cross roads on green at 30mph in a 30mph limit and I see a car out of the corner of my eye travelling so fast that it clearly isn't going to stop at its red light I want to be able to nail it.

There are many situations when safety's sake my dictate you need to break the speed limit for a few seconds to get out of danger.

And letting people drive everywhere with their foot flat on the floor allowing the speed limiter to do their thinking for them so they can disengage their brain still further is not a good idea.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 10:42:04 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
There are many situations when safety's sake my dictate you need to break the speed limit for a few seconds to get out of danger.

i completely agree with this, but 111mph is enough headroom for anyone..

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 10:25:23 am »
The fact is that no matter what electronics manufacturers install some one will always hack around it plain and simple

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 10:32:45 am »
people hack round HGV speed limiters, but when they are caught (and they usualy are eventualy) the penalties are HUGE!

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 10:57:51 am »
We (Racelogic) designed a GPS based system for Palmer that uses a GPS map of the track and basestation corrections for 20cm accuracy to predict where the car will be a few samples down the line based on its speed, heading, radius of turn, and the known limitations of the car it is fitted to. If the system predicts that the driver is coming into a corner to 'hot', or accelerating to early then it removes power to stop the car going off the circuit. It also limits speed in the pits, and if the driver goes off the circuit it applies a speed limiter.

Fitting this system to twenty or so cars at Palmer is justified financially by saving just one of them from damage at the hands of a punter, but the limits are such that if you are getting things right then there is NO intervention.

With more and more birds in the sky; the Russians launched 6 more GLONASS sats just recently, Galileo (supposedly) launching for operation in 2012, and the Chinese COMPASS (or Beidou-2) system hot on it's heels; the accuracy of GNS receivers will get better and urban situations will become less problematic. This kind of technology will inevitably reach the consumor car market, and most likely as a safety requirement. putting a 60 limit on a road doesn't mean to can drive 60 along its length, but not everyone is switched on enough to realise this. Dynamic speed limits are the way forward.

As for the traffic light senario. it is easy enough to prevent someone from moving in a local system if they are in the box queing at a red light, cross the line and the car stops, no accident...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:16 am »
As for hacking, as Phil says, if you impose a harsh enough penelty, then people really won't risk fecking around... And if they did it would be obvious. if you are the only one breaking the limits then you tend to stand out from the crowd... Driving down motorways is a perfect example... if everyone is doing 90 then the police leave everyone to it, as they cannot pull everyone over, but if on guy is doing 120 (usually driving a BMW) then he stands out and will get pulled...

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 11:10:59 am »
If they introduce this I'll be building myself a GPS jammer, or depending on how they implement it, a "false" GPS signal to throw the system in my car off course.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 11:28:22 am »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
If they introduce this I'll be building myself a GPS jammer, or depending on how they implement it, a "false" GPS signal to throw the system in my car off course.

Unlicenced transmision on these frequencies is illegal and comes with its own severe penalties... If you were to tie in directly and feed a GPS simulation directly into the receiver then an appropriate simulator would cost you £85k. And even then you would have to feck around with the wheel speed inputs on the vehicle as the system would most likely use these for verification; thus you would negate any ABS or TCS...

Good luck mate...

It is inevitable that these things will happen as the technology exists and has the potential to solve congestion and safety problems. It doesn't matter if we like it or not, it will eventuially happen...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 11:35:14 am »
Classic for teh win is all i can say

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 11:47:05 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
Classic for teh win is all i can say

Indeed... A move like this would take a LONG time to impose as you could only enforce it on new cars, so it's nothing to worry about in our driving careers i'm sure...

Roadkill

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 01:51:36 pm »
Quoting: Gator
more bloody electronics

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 04:03:38 pm »
who needs new cars...