Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 18666 times)

Roadkill

Finally!
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
Quoting: Andy
A question for those that have done exhaust work. Does the last rear muffler do anything for the emissions?

Mine didn't . . . . It got severed one ride back on the motorway so I cut it off just behind the drivers seat area . . .

It still passed emissions - although they had to crawl under the car to get the sniffer in.

It did get louder, though mine didn't have any other mufflers on it (no cat).

I also had headers on mine which will make it slightly louder, normally.

Why don't you cut it off and see how it sounds . . . you can easily just re-connect it with a sleeve if it sounds silly.  Then maybe consider removing it for good after or getting a cat-back ?

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2012, 03:38:24 pm »
Yeah I need to do some investigating as to what it has to have regards a cat.

I'd love some twin tips pointing out the back, it has them at the moment but they're tucked up under the rear bumper and pointing down. Going by memory it has a single pipe from the collectors that goes down the passenger side over the rear axle and into a big ass muffler.

I wanna just run two pipes to either side with no muffler.

Ill try just taking it off, I think it's just bolted in there and not welded.

Roadkill

Finally!
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2012, 04:20:48 pm »
Going by memory it has a single pipe from the collectors that goes down the passenger side over the rear axle and into a big ass muffler.

Sounds about right - EDIT cat is normally under the passenger seat area, IIRC.

I wanna just run two pipes to either side with no muffler.

The cat-back kit Fubar got had a choice of baffle plates to suit your taste in noise, IIRC . . . The sound he's got is a nice burbley noise whereas the sound that comes from mine (completely unbaffled) is very harsh.

Ill try just taking it off, I think it's just bolted in there and not welded.

Good theory but you'll probably find it's rusted solid.

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 02:58:53 pm »
What a day, got a really nice drive out today. So nice having a running car, pulls like stink but have to seriously look at my driving style, as being honest, I don't fully understand the whole gearbox and kick down thing.

Have to look at the condensation issue from the leaking t-tops. Thats on the list for next year as I've read its not a great to do it in cold and damp conditions. Plus import the kit from somewhere.

Been quoted £100 to respray the rear deck panel which is getting worse and worse with each car wash

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »
Bit of an update, just not for me...

I knew Dave regretted offering me the car, and i have the feeling he may have been hoping i wasn't so keen. Anyway, rather than have it back he found a replacement on ebay which we went and picked up today.

It was in Kent so we had a long slog around the M25 in torrential rain to go get it.

its a nice car, an RS in white with t-tops, has been de-smogged, edlebrook headers, 3" cat back exhaust, Superior rear half shafts and a bunch of tubular rear suspension parts. Lowered at the front with adjustable shocks all round.

Waiting till tomorrow to get under it and find the full spec on what its got going  for it. First thing that it needs is a new set of tyres all round and a good clean.

Pics to come tomorrow.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2012, 07:29:20 pm »
he found a replacement on ebay

Dangerous place that E gay

Still you can't have too many F Body's

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2012, 11:19:52 am »
Work update:

Fitted new bonnet struts that I recieved off of Dean. Note to self, one bonnet strut will not hold up the hood, don't be so keen to remove the prop half way through the job to admire it.

Also took the time to de-gunk my drains around the windscreen, as well as doing a little clean of the bay. Also checked the bolts holding the alternator is. Oil and tranny fluids checked too.

Next was to dry out the car, so opened all the doors, removed the tops, opened the hatch. Got as much moisture of the windows as I could and let the rest evaporate. While having the top off I took the opportunity to adjust the hold down anchor on the a and b pillar. I notice one side was high compared to the other so made them both level and lowered them a bit. I'm getting a bit desperate to stop the roof leaking but I know the only cure is going to be a new set of seals.

After this, with the tops down, I took her out for a long drive. Having never had a convertible or car with removable tops it really is nice. She got up to temperature and was running a charm, had a couple of thumbs up driving through Henley and the drove back up the A404 following an old yank.

Dave and I spent a bit of time working and cleaning his and generally drawing up a list of things to do. First thing is sort the radio. Someone at some point had put an aftermarket jobby in it and had cut the factory plugs off. Using some quality Googling power he managed to sus out the radio pin out vs. the wire colours fitted. We got the factory radio running again but only through one speaker, which needs more investigating. It was all a bit pointless though as it turns out its a Japanese radio and tunes to the wrong frequencies for here!

After all that, we have it a good clean, white really is a nice colour once clean, but what a bitch to get clean! The aero package has seen better days, the chin is shot to pieces thanks to the 2" drop the front has. The passenger door mirror has had a knock at some point and needs fixing. On the whole though it seems a solid car with just a few little scruffy bits.

It has got a limited slip diff, as its made a mess of the drive when turning it. That also probably explains the completely scuffed rear tyres.

Some of the sellers photos:

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2012, 05:32:36 pm »
It was all a bit pointless though as it turns out its a Japanese radio and tunes to the wrong frequencies for here!

I did have one of those Japanese radio converters, came fitted to our Jap import Astro Van. It just plugs into the radio aerial socket and is powered off the radio live terminal. It spilts the signal back into UK frequencies.

Roadkill

Finally!
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »
Note to self, one bonnet strut will not hold up the hood, don't be so keen to remove the prop half way through the job to admire it.

Although one of my new hatch struts could hold up a house !

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »
turns out its a Japanese radio and tunes to the wrong frequencies for here

My Mustang has a Japanese radio, gets Radio 2 so no problem for me.

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:20 am »
Ah yeah, we have a frequency shifter on the shelf that got removed from my one, still means the display is miles out.

Dave spent a fair bit of time the other night sussing out what exactly the last 'audio engineering genius' did under there. The dash speakers are only connected on one side, there are two component speakers fitted to the doors and only one of the b pillar speakers are connected!

I think the whole task is a bit pointless though as the 3" exhaust makes too much noise, but it's something for him to do. Just costing up some tyres. Northants seem to be the only ones flogging BF's, £120 a corner it looks like too!

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
What size tyres? Have you tried Camskill, their prices are normally good

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 07:05:04 pm »
Will check Camskill, hadn't thought of them, or blackcircles.

I think they're 245 60 R15, will have to double check.

A question for you guys, after all this alternator trouble I think my battery is on its last legs. Looking for a screw side terminal battery, seen these Optima Batteries, are they any cop?

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »
Optima batteries are the best! Are they side post though? I put a new battery on my Suburban 6 months ago bought from John Wollfe and im already having problems with it as i only use the truck a few times a month

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 12:00:04 am »
I think they're 245 60 R15, will have to double check.

Correct if you have Non IROC wheels, the IROCs wheels are 245 50 R16 which is the same as a 4th gen.

Don't buy Cooper Cobras in either size as i've been told many a time they're slippery as hell, and generally

In the UK, Kumho Ecsta's are good, Steve has had them on his 4th gen for years and swears by them, durable and sticky and a decent tread pattern.
assuming they're still around (not looked for a while) i'll be getting those when the IROC's boots finally need replacing.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06:39 am »
additional:

realised advise given above is not applicable to your wheel size, the last person i know who bought tyres for 15" camaro wheels was Philo who had the Cooper's mounted white lettering inwards, as above he wasn't too happy.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:21 am »
Cool stuff Ryan, cheers for that!

Dave I think is set on BF's, he has Coopers fitted to the mustang and probably couldn't tell if it wondered all over the place... Cos it does just wonder all over the place by itself!

Currently looking for some strong chemicals to shift the years of dirt and brake dust on the alloys. F Body would have a fit!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2012, 09:02:03 am »
Currently looking for some strong chemicals to shift the years of dirt and brake dust on the alloys. F Body would have a fit!

Easy buddy, I'm sure you already know, but you don't want anything that will damage the lacquer on the alloy.

I know a guy in Northampton who will recondition a wheel to look brand-new for £30 a wheel. That includes filling any cracks, chips and curbing, a coat of new paint and a fresh lacquer. Let me know if you want his details.

Otherwise, I would stick to scrubbing and some clit-bang, wiped-off quite quickly.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Finally!
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
Optima batteries - yes they get good reviews.  Make sure you go for Red top, not Yellow.  

Does it have to be side post?  Might be a good opportunity to replace the battery cables and get a top post battery that is easier to get replacements for.

Tyres - BF's are generally considered the best white letter tyres available over here, but you have to pay the premium for them.  I went for the Coopers, and can't say I've had a problem with them (on 2nd set now).

I don't know what the current situation with imported tyres is now, but when I bought last year there were troubles as the EU had stated that you can't import tyres created with 'dirty oil', and most of the tyres we want fell into that category.   To further add to this, I got an email from etyres this week telling me about another stupid EU directive that states that all new tyres have to have specific markings on them regarding grip/performance etc.  I don't know if the US tyres adhere to this or not.

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Finally!
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:49 pm »
Actually, I'm talking bollocks!

I wanted to get the Coopers a 2nd time, but there were only 3 in the country and due to the dirty oil thing they couldn't get any more.  (I found out later there was a 4th, but it's bolted to Roadkills coffee table )

Ended up getting 'Hercules HP4000' which is very similar to the Cooper Cobra's, but a bit lower spec.  Not the best, but not bad either.

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2012, 12:40:40 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Easy buddy, I'm sure you already know, but you don't want anything that will damage the lacquer on the alloy.

I know a guy in Northampton who will recondition a wheel to look brand-new for £30 a wheel. That includes filling any cracks, chips and curbing, a coat of new paint and a fresh lacquer. Let me know if you want his details.

Otherwise, I would stick to scrubbing and some clit-bang, wiped-off quite quickly.

10-4 Big Daddy... I would've used some wonder wheels if I still had some left, but the best I had was the Karcher and a stiff brush. Got a fair amount off, but still dirty. Just like mine, they're colour coded so really need to look spanking otherwise it brings the whole car down.

Clit-bang eh? Do I ask for that at the counter?

Quoting: Jamieg285
Optima batteries - yes they get good reviews. Make sure you go for Red top, not Yellow.

I would like to keep the original wiring, but you're right, changing to top posts wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't know what the price comparisons are for like for like batteries but I just know its hard to source one. Found one company selling standard batteries with side posts but they seem to be of an unknown brand. Leaves me a little unsure.

Quoting: Jamieg285
Tyres - BF's are generally considered the best white letter tyres available over here, but you have to pay the premium for them. I went for the Coopers, and can't say I've had a problem with them (on 2nd set now).

I don't know what the current situation with imported tyres is now, but when I bought last year there were troubles as the EU had stated that you can't import tyres created with 'dirty oil', and most of the tyres we want fell into that category. To further add to this, I got an email from etyres this week telling me about another stupid EU directive that states that all new tyres have to have specific markings on them regarding grip/performance etc. I don't know if the US tyres adhere to this or not.

Noted, will have to leave this to the supplier though. I think both me and Dave will take the approach, if they sold it, its their problem.

Cheers for the replies guys!

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2012, 05:11:32 pm »
Blowing off some winter blues by taking the car out today. Some might have seen my status on Fagbook, but kinda was only meant to be a run round the block, but was too much like fun, so turned into a lovely winter drive.

Ended up treating the girl to some new tech. It had been running that old headunit CP sold me, but I think the damp has got the better of it, plus its eaten and as yet hasn't shown any signs of giving me back my Darkness cd! So picked up a really really cheap Sony unit, had to be Sony as the plug thats hard wired in was Sony. Works a charm, set up out of the box, running good. Didn't realise but it even streams music from my iPhone, which is handy.

Not much to report other than that. Will be thoroughly cleaning her tomorrow, doing some final fluid check before drying her out and wrapping her up for winter. There is a run at the end of the year I want to do, but that'll be dependant on the weather.

Dave took his out today as well, but has transmission issues he wants to address. He can't stand the clunking of the exhaust system over the rear axle, so that may be coming off next year.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Finally!
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2012, 06:50:29 pm »
darkness cd....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »
Quoting: art b
darkness cd....

Yeah, and what?

Can't beat a band that wrote a song about Genital warts!

Andy

Finally!
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »
Can't win, bust the radiator on the Focus, get it fixed, day after I get it back, radiator on the Camaro develops a leak.