Author Topic: paint removal in MK  (Read 847 times)

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
paint removal in MK
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:30 am »
Does anyone know of anyone local to MK that can soda, sand, etc.... blast the paint of a break calliper for me... looking at reconditioning the rear calliper on the GPX.

Thanks

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
paint removal in MK
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:38:58 am »
Personally I never refurb calipers just replace them

If they are siezed or leaking it usally means that the cylinder bore is corroded, or the end of cyclinder bore is corroded and even if you sandpaper the worse off, it still damages the new seal. IMHO all your doing is a temporay fix and the problem will reappear sooner rather than later

Suppose it really depends on how much a new caliper is ?

There is a good sandblaster in Luton but the minimum charge seems to be £20.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
paint removal in MK
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »
for something like a brake caliper you need to be carefull. sand is a no-no (far too aggressive) and soda is probably too gentle.  Your best bet is glass bead, or media (wallnut shell) glass is a lot finer, so would be the best bet.

ABC stainless in Peterborough are the best by quite a margin for this sort of work. speak to Tim at paneltec, as they do send stuff there from time to time, a caliper could likely be 'lost' with a larger job.

it was ABC that did the fairing sub frame and grab rail on the GPz before they were powder coated.

for something like a caliper going to peterborough (if paneltec dont have anything going there), postage wouldn't be much, probably about £5 tops.

Roadkill

paint removal in MK
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 03:26:53 pm »
Hmm - I'd be reluctant to blast a caliper with anything.

I've always just sat down and used a stiff brush and WYNNS clutch/brake cleaner.

Worked on the 'Maro.

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
paint removal in MK
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:39:17 am »
Basically I think my rear calliper is gone and I’ve found another one on EBay, whilst it's off the bike and not needed (to much) I thought it would be nice opportunity to tidy it up before putting new pistons, seals and bleed nips on it.

Just wanted to get it blasted and powder coated

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll give ABC a shout when I get the calliper and have determined if that one's OK to use.