Author Topic: Cheap Bluetooth Headunit  (Read 2928 times)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 10:23:16 am »
im down at the railway station later today,
 do ya want me to ave a peek in the aldi down there
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:45 am »
Quoting: art b
do ya want me to ave a peek in the aldi down there

Yah if you don't mind dude, that would be most appreciated.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »
i popped into the st james store .....

and they have em in the display cabinet...£49.....

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:05 am »
i popped into the st james store .....

and they have em in the display cabinet...£49....

Awesome, thanks, I will pick one up on Wednesday - hopefully they won't have sold out!

Weirdly, that is the same store I bought mine from originally - no where else had them!

Thanks for looking Art

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:51 am »
@Andy:  I know you blew your speakers, but did you see any improvement in sound quality before you turned it up?  

Andy

Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 01:15:05 pm »
In terms of quality, I couldn't really tell the difference. Theres a few videos on Youtube boasting about improved bass punch and clearer highs, but that makes no difference when I'm running half stock and half cheap two-way 5x8's. The big difference is the external amp reaches far higher sound levels than the inbuilt one before distorting.

If you ran your iPod you may noticed around 24-25 the amp in the unit becomes very unlinear, and runs out of headroom. I did intially complain to the company I bought the unit from saying this thing is ment to be x y and z, to which I was told in reality it puts out 18 watts RMS as standard, and that anything written on the facial is rubbish. As I thought I was popping the speakers but it was actually the unit itself.

This external amp however is much more powerful. I found the original speaker box for my 5x8 Alpines i have fitted in the front and they're only rated at 35 watts RMS, so I'm assuming the output figure is roughly right (45w RMS)

I still haven't got around to hooking my knackered speakers out (apologies Edge and Ian - I will get round to it sometime this week) but I really want to put some components in the front as that should make a massive difference in the sound quality as opposed to just the level.

I would say, if you're after a louder system and have speakers fitted which will handle the power, its a cheaper easy way to upgrade. I can see it's aimed at people like me, who like audio to be loud but can't be asked to go the whole haul and install amps and speaker wires etc. All you need to be sure of is that your current installed speakers are rated accordingly and that you have somewhere to put it, mine took all of about five mintues to fit.

I did intially thought I had a problem as I was getting a thunk (loud pop) everytime I shut the door. I hooked it all out Sunday to have a look make sure I wasn't being a dick and hadn't connected something properly. After deciding that I didn't like the look of the ISO to H/unit lead I hard wired it tested it and still had an issue. Only when I lent on the arm rest and found that caused the poping as well , and that the arm rest is all one with the facia where the radio sits and that if I smacked the side of the radio it did it to. Yes I win a Noob ICE Award, the plug wasn't properly connected in the back and it had gradually made it way out...

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »
Hmm...

If you're not hearing an improvement in quality I think I'll give it a miss.  

I always listen to music from the iPhone and have the volume control set to 16 most of the time @ 60mph unless the roof is off at which point I increase it to 20.  I've only had it up to 24/25 for unusually quiet songs with the roof down.

In the Jeep the rear Infinity speakers (5.25" rated @ 45WRMS) are mounted on a "sound bar" which basically means they are mounted to the roll bar that goes from left to right just behind the front seats so they're not being muffled.  The Alpine sub is mounted to the storage box behind the front seats, firing forwards.  The front Infinity speakers in the dash at knee level don't really do much (no idea on size, probably 4" and will be rated lower than the rears) except bring the soundstage forward slightly but it is still rear focussed.  All bass from 80hz down is blocked from the Infinity's and sent to the sub to reduce strain on them..

I was tempted by the amp to improve the quality some more, I don't need extra volume.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »
and they have em in the display cabinet...£49.....

Cheers dude!! Got one today!

It looks like they have upgraded the unit, there are two knobs - one for volume and one for the phone - not sure what it does yet until I install it.. Looks like you can also change the LED colours

£49.00 - Best value head-unit EVAR.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth Headunit
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »

glad to be of help....

and the head unit is warranted for 3 years ..so keep the receipt