Author Topic: Tyre Choice Help  (Read 2165 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:00:16 am »
Looking for opinions on tyre choices - looking for a decent set of 195/45/16.

Criteria:

Must have a good tread pattern - something that will try and grip in ice / snow, not something that looks like it is a racing slick after a few miles.

Looking for a long-wearing tyre with good grip for normal driving conditions.

The trouble with this particular size of wheel / tyre combination is most choices are aimed more towards the 'performance' side - so people who want to chuck around every round-a-bout possible doing 100mph, but I'm looking for a tyre with good grip for all weather conditions that wears well, I'm don't want to use them for track days etc..

After looking on the net for a while, I've found a few - unless someone can advice me against a particular brand or point me in the direction of another?

Toyo Proxes PX4

Yokohama S.Drive (although they look a bit chavvy?)

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:08:00 am »
Ordinarily I would recommend going for the Proxes (of the T1R variety though) i've used them for years on the MR2 and FTO but I have heard good things about the SDrives........

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s94p0

+ delivery + fitting (dont forget)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:52 am »
Ahh I forgot this may be Shifty's area..

Quoting: Shifty
+ delivery + fitting (dont forget)

There is a place in Northampton that can do the Yokos at £60 each all in..

I'm just not sure about the tread on them - how would they be in ice / snow etc?

I just found these Cooper's on Camskill:

COOPER CS6 ZEON - they look OK - any opinion on those?

Andy

Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »
This on your mondy?

I've just had new boots fitted all round. Went for Bridgestone ER300's and to say they're an improvement on the Goodyear NCT I had on there would be an understatement.

I was looking for tyres that would cut it this winter but I believe the overal cheaper option is going to be snow chains or two steelies fitted with snow tyres. At the minute I'm punting for snow tyres.

I got warned off proxes due to their wear rate and them not being a very good tyre in adverse conditions (apparently only good in + temperatures)

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:20:26 pm »
Quoting: Andy
I was looking for tyres that would cut it this winter but I believe the overal cheaper option is going to be snow chains or two steelies fitted with snow tyres. At the minute I'm punting for snow tyres.

We did a group buy from http://www.autosock.co.uk/ at work last winter. I didn't bother as I don't live in the sticks any more and haven't got any big hills to drive over; but everyone that used them hear says they're very good.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:29:40 pm »
This on your mondy?

No 2008 Ford Fiesta..

Bridgestone ER300

They aren't available in that size

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »
i dont know what sizes they come in, but I have Sunew tyres on the alfa, they look very good, and grip very well wet and dry, for £78 per (new, delivered) in 225 45 17 thats not bad (168 mph rating)

ebay.....

Andy

Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:18:38 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
We did a group buy from http://www.autosock.co.uk/ at work last winter. I didn't bother as I don't live in the sticks any more and haven't got any big hills to drive over; but everyone that used them hear says they're very good.

Looks pretty good them, only thing I'm nut sure on is that they give all their 'ratings' with them fitted over snow tires anyway. Questions whether they work just as well with regular tyres.

It'll be just my luck I buy something like that and for the next few years we get naf all snow or ice!

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:32 pm »
snow tyres are pointless in this country..

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 06:59:48 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
snow tyres are pointless in this country..

I expect more input than this from you.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 07:11:39 pm »
I had Toyo Proxes T1R's back in the day, some people said they didn't last but I got 35k out of them.

If you want good grip in snow and you can forget sporty looking asymetirc treads for a start. I'd be inclined to go for a winter tyre as opposed to an all season or summer tyre.  The compound is designed for colder temperatures (the others start to lose effectiveness at 5deg) but will cope ok at very warm temperatures and as we get more cold days than hot ones I'd biase them that way...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:13:53 pm »
Looks pretty good them, only thing I'm nut sure on is that they give all their 'ratings' with them fitted over snow tires anyway. Questions whether they work just as well with regular tyres.

Everyone at work that used them wee running standard tyres and they worked great. I would say that they are a viable alternative to a set of snow tyres as a just in case measure to be used when needed.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 09:06:19 am »
Everyone at work that used them wee running standard tyres and they worked great. I would say that they are a viable alternative to a set of snow tyres as a just in case measure to be used when needed.

Interesting to know Did they work okay on the main roads that have been cleared of snow and are just slush?

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
If you want good grip in snow and you can forget sporty looking asymetirc treads for a start.

Yes it's just the tyre size means the range of styles to choose from is very limited, most are the 'sporty' low-profile ones unless you are going to spend £90+each for a 'snow' tyre.. The Falkens below are the closest I have found in budget with a decent tread pattern with an 'all weather' description.

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
as we get more cold days than hot ones I'd biase them that way...

Totally agree

Change of mind again!

Going for the Falken Ziex ZE-912 mainly because of the images of worn tyres I found on Google showed the Yokohama S Drive looks very much like a slick once the outside 'V's have been slightly eroded as there is no real 'tread' cut in the centre of the tyre. Also, the Yokohama's seem to be involved more in the modified car scene - so the guys running 500" rims on a Corsa rate these things - but as I said I am looking for a sensible, long lasting tyre, not something for track-day.

I didn't like the reviews for the Toyo.

The Falken seems to have good reviews and is from an established manufacturer. I think the tread pattern should provide more grip in rain and ice, the reviews I found reflect that thought.

Unless anyone has any real objection and can tell me something I didn't know about these tyres, I will get them fitted tomorrow

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »
its worth noting that if you use winter tyres as opposed to all season tyres, you will need to change them in summer, if you have a crash in summer on winter tyres, they will use the old 'unsuitable tyre' clause to get out of a payout.

this also applies to speed ratings, and summer tyres in winter (such as these fitted to the M3 CSL and caterhams), so be careful....

most tyres sold in the UK are all season.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:18:59 pm »

I'm inclined to agree.... all season tyres with autosocks would be the preferred solution..

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Interesting to know  Did they work okay on the main roads that have been cleared of snow and are just slush?

You're supposed to take them off on tarmac (the same as snow chains) but they are ok for short distances at limited speed.

Andy

Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »
I think I'm gonna put those on my purchase list. For £49 it could get you out of a difficult situation or just get you home. I know after last winter and having to spend a night in the factory I would much rather get home!

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:24 pm »
Autosocks, pah!
4 wheel drive and a set of all terrains will get you anywhere!  

On a more serious note, I've only read good things about those autosocks, well worth having imho...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:15:58 am »
Cool they have my size Autosock's this year!  £70 a pair though...
Think I'll just walk

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:17:38 am »
Quoting: Incursus
Think I'll just walk

Andy

Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 10:42:47 am »
Cool they have my size Autosock's this year! £70 a pair though...

What size tyres do you have?!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 01:27:46 pm »
Cool they have my size Autosock's this year! £70 a pair though...

What size tyres do you have?!

255/40R17 Rear

235/45R17 Front

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Looking for opinions on tyre choices - looking for a decent set of 195/45/16.

Got a set of Falken Ziex ZE-912's fitted today - cheers all.

Although, nearly didn't - got there after calling the place twice to confirm price at £54 a tyre - all in.

Got there, and somehow the price had gone up by 4 quid to £58.14 a tyre. Explained what was said on the phone and he said "I'll give you them for 54 then" - dam right you will, or I'll just go somewhere else - it's not my problem they don't / can't talk to each other so they know what price they have agreed with customer's on the phone.

Andy

Tyre Choice Help
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 06:48:28 am »
Thats bloomin' cheap for branded tyres!

I prefer the companies who just give an all in price. Can't stand ATS and the like who give you a price that sounds competitive and then add on stupid money for getting rid of it, matches and petrol aren't that expensive, a new valve, old one looks good to me and nitrogen... no, no, no.