Author Topic: 4th Gen Torque Converter  (Read 2224 times)

Roadkill

4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 11:02:25 am »
I've driven both manual and auto F-Body's.

The fact the I still have my Camaro is purely because it's a rare manual . . . . It's still a bucket load of fun - even with a knackered 'box.

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 02:15:44 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
I've driven both manual and auto F-Body's.

The fact the I still have my Camaro is purely because it's a rare manual . . . . It's still a bucket load of fun - even with a knackered 'box.

Yeah I bet it is actually

I've driven a M6 LS1 z/28 a few years back it was very nice, just couldn't afford it at the time, and then I simply couldn't find one for sale when I did buy a Fbody.

Roadkill

4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 02:24:38 pm »
Manual 4th Gens a very rare . . . 3rd Gens are slightly more common but I still only know of 4 or 5 in the country . . . and one of those is now an Auto !

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 04:07:13 pm »
Manual 4th Gens a very rare . . . 3rd Gens are slightly more common but I still only know of 4 or 5 in the country . . . and one of those is now an Auto !

Think you'll have yours up and running anytime soon?

Roadkill

4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 04:45:35 pm »
Quoting: 300bhp per ton
Think you'll have yours up and running anytime soon?

It goes now, just not taxed.

It needs new front shocks and lowering springs to compensate for weight reduction then a re-con 'box.

All-in about £650 so I'd guess she'll be ready for April.

She needs an engine rebuild, too, but I'll run it til she blows then stick a 350ci in her.

The maority of my cash is going on the Cadillac but I'm aware that if I don't sort the Camaro I'll be without a Yank all next year as the Caddy's likely to be off the road for a good portion of the year.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 05:14:27 pm »
it seems to me that manual mustangs are a lot more plentiful than camaro's, although i have absolutely no idea why, especialy as the camaro is a far superior drivers car..

even if buying new, i'd choose an auto, simply because i find that (dodgy knee not considerd) i find manual to be a pain in the arse on the road, especialy in traffic..

having said that, again horses for courses - if i were buying a sports car, like a vette or ferrari, then i'd prefer a manual, on the softer 'GT' type cars like the mustang or camaro or even large mercedes or jaguar coupes  (more fast cruisers than sports cars in stock form) then auto is for me the only choice, driver fatigue on long journeys is far lower in an auto..

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 05:17:04 pm »
It goes now, just not taxed.

It needs new front shocks and lowering springs to compensate for weight reduction then a re-con 'box.

All-in about £650 so I'd guess she'll be ready for April.

Cool. Can't wait

Personally I still think the 3rd gens look bad ass!

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 05:19:44 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
i find that (dodgy knee not considerd) i find manual to be a pain in the arse on the road, especialy in traffic..

driver fatigue on long journeys is far lower in an auto..

I suppose, never really bothered me all that much, but then again I grew up driving Land Rovers and tractors.

Plus I do a 110 mile commute a day in a noisey bumpy diesel Peugeot 106.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 05:23:06 pm »
i like my cars to be as low effort as possible to drive, so i consider air con, power steering and auto tranny essential..

comparitivley quick, quiet and smooth are also very impotant to me..

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 05:24:31 pm »
especialy as the camaro is a far superior drivers car..

Out of curiosity, which mustang and camaro are you comparing here?

driver fatigue on long journeys is far lower in an auto..

But surely long journeys implies mostly motorway, in which case it's very little gear changes and cruise control?

Having now driven an automatic car (Jo's Neon) I definitely like it, especially around town in traffic. I've still got no intention of ever changing the mustang to auto, even for free.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 05:52:14 pm »
Quoting: Pod
Out of curiosity, which mustang and camaro are you comparing here?

to be fair, it doesn't really matter in modern terms, neither fox or SN95 drive as well as third or fourth gen camaro..

having driven all of them, suprisingly the thirdgen actualy drives a little better than the fourth gen, and the SN95 was a little better than the fox  (as you'd expect being a newer car) but not as good as a fourth gen..

in order, they would be...
3rd gen
4th gen
SN95
FOX

a SORTED thirdgen (and most are sadly pretty crappy) even stock is an absolutely fantastic driving car, and apparently even now, is still rated as one of the nicest yanks to drive without spending mega money.. (i.e C5 / C6 vette, or viper)

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 06:00:02 pm »
She needs an engine rebuild, too, but I'll run it til she blows then stick a 350ci in her.

that means you may have to uprate the transmission, they never made a 350 manual..... probably for a valid reason

EDGE

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 06:03:05 pm »
yup.. the T5 is not strong enough to hold a 350

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 06:45:09 pm »

depends what T5 you have

1352-000-249 and  1352-000-251 are rated at 300 'lb

the other alternatives would be the T45 rated at 325 mainly used in mustang GT's or a TKO500 or TKO600

Roadkill

4th Gen Torque Converter
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2006, 06:00:34 pm »
Quoting: 300bhp per ton
Personally I still think the 3rd gens look bad ass!

Mine's certainly hardcore.

Quoting: EDGE
that means you may have to uprate the transmission, they never made a 350 manual..... probably for a valid reason

Indeed, the tranny would be chosen and built with the engine.

I'd probably keep with a 5-speed as I smoke the tyres in second so a 6-speed would give me a pointless 1st gear.

I'm not a massive fan of the T5 - Although the Hurst Shifter makes for short, clean changes.

They seem to work well behind Ford lumps but fail behind SBCs.