Author Topic: Repeater Router / Extending Wireless Signal - Ian?  (Read 1748 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Repeater Router / Extending Wireless Signal - Ian?
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:09:01 am »
I asked everyone about plastering the other week (which I am still doing), because we are converting an 'out house' at my parent's house into an office..

Anyway, the wireless signal is very very small when you are in the outhouse, I know it has been discussed before, but what options have I got to extend the signal.  

Ideally, using one of the existing spare routers as a 'repeater' would be great - but reading up on it shows that it isn't that simple.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:20:19 pm »
run a cat5 cable to the existing router,
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:27:18 pm »
Look into IP Over Mains.

thats what we have our PCs / TVs & Bluray players hooked up too here now, just as fast as ethernet but without the extra wiring.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »
Quoting: art b
run a cat5 cable to the existing router,

Quoting: FUBAR
Look into IP Over Mains.

GAHHH expensive?!

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:44:56 pm »
What ryan said - ethernet over mains is simplest way - maplins do a set, as do ebuyer etc - about 45-50 quid for a kit (2 units) - make sure go for a decent named brand though (netgear, 3COM etc).

Otherwise you could try a high gain antenna on the router (if its changeable) or failing that yeah you could set one up as an AP / extender but it isn't simple - but so long as you follow the instructions should be do-able

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:29 pm »
Okay, I will have to read up more on the 'over mains thing'..

So, what is a 'wireless access point'? - how is that different to a router?

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »
I may just buy some monster of a router as at the moment we are using the stock Thompson one that came with our Broadband and it is rubbish for streaming within the network (movies from rig to PS3 and onto TV), so I have been thinking about upgrading anyway, something with uber range - which may just solve the issue anyway

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »
nothing will be as good as a wired connection,
hard wire it to the router...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 07:12:35 am »
Just bought a Linksys WAG160N.

Seemed a good price from a good source and a decent brand, defiantly wouldn't go for a Netgear again. One of the issues was streaming movies from my rig, downstairs to the PS3 and onto the TV - which I think was caused by the 'stock' Thompson router.

Hopefully, this will not only be able to stream movies with ease, but also improve the range enough to reach outside. (If not I'll just buy an AP - I needed to upgrade the router anyway - so not a waste of money).

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:18:33 am »

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 10:03:03 am »
linksys was the other brand i couldn't remember yesterday!!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:16 am »
Another question..

With wireless signals, does the speed in which you are connected to the router depend on the strength of the signal?

So for example, if you have a 400k download speed with full signal bars, then walk further from the router so you have less signal bars, would that go down to 300k, then down again the further you went away from the router? Or is it as long as you have a connection you have the full speed?

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 11:02:42 am »
Yes and no is the answer lol!

If you get a internet -> router speed of ~8mb then that is what you will get for downloads, the speed between the router and the device is variable dependant on signal strength and quality.

Normally you'd get 11mbps, 22mbps or 54mbps between device and router so you'd normally expect to get a higher connection speed pc -> router than you'd get router -> internet, however if the signal is really bad / weak / noisy then it is possible that the pc -> router speed would be lower than your rotuer -> internet speed therefore the download speed wouldn't be limited by the internet speed but by the router -> pc speed.

Hope that kinda makes sense!!!

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 11:09:12 am »
dude, seriously, save yourself a lot of agro,wasted time AND wasted money, cable it direct, wireless blows chunks for downloading at any speed.... and especially for sending large amounts of data, wireless is fine for browsing, bu not much else...

buy a roll of cable from maplins or similar, crimp the ends on it and job done, get armoured if its going outside, just to be safe

trust me....

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:43:43 am »
Quoting: ianjpage
Hope that kinda makes sense!!!

Yep, cheers for explaining that, I was assuming the same but wanted to check with the resident expert.

So, just to complicate your answer a little, if I add an AP on the edge of the current router's broadcasting capabilitys, does that mean that the speed when connected to the AP itself won't be as good - so do you have to move the AP within a reasonable connection of the router for it to then amplify the strong signal again?

Quoting: EDGE
dude, seriously, save yourself a lot of agro,wasted time AND wasted money, cable it direct, wireless blows

I hear what you are saying and I would be doing that in seconds if it was that simple, but it isn't just my rig that needs access to the net. It's laptops, PS3, phones, Wii, other rigs etc..

I'm not really looking for speed for one device.

After looking at all the different options (mains, cable, wireless), wireless meets the dynamic usage at our house.

Once I decided that, I then needed to know how to get the best from a wireless setup. It may not be as fast as the other solutions, but if I make it as fast as I can, it should still stream movies, play games, transfer files, iPlayer etc and get everyone on the net all at the same time - that's the key really, it's lots of devices using the connection..

:geek:

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:54:34 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Yep, cheers for explaining that, I was assuming the same but wanted to check with the resident expert.

lol ok no probs

So, just to complicate your answer a little, if I add an AP on the edge of the current router's broadcasting capabilitys, does that mean that the speed when connected to the AP itself won't be as good - so do you have to move the AP within a reasonable connection of the router for it to then amplify the strong signal again?

IDeally yes, you'd find a sweet spot for the AP where the signal is "OK" and the speed is "OK" then put it there which would then boost (or repeat) the signal for a wider range....it will be a case of try and see TBH...or use a laptop watch the signal strength and when ti drops between "good" and "medium" thats prob a good spot....best way to think if it the best speed you will get is the SLOWEST link, so try to ensure the AP & router get the best mix of signal, speed and distance and you should be sorted

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »
Quoting: EDGE

dude, seriously, save yourself a lot of agro,wasted time AND wasted money, cable it direct, wireless blows chunks for downloading at any speed.... and especially for sending large amounts of data, wireless is fine for browsing, bu not much else...

exactly what i did,
 we have a netgear wireless router with 3 network cables in it that serve the ground,ist floor and loft internet suite, this allows a network printer,[which is also wireless] to be acessed by 4 users in the house,
 we  have 3 laptops on wireless and 1 pc and one mac mini hardwired in our experience we have very few problems,

the main one being the router needs rebouting onec a month when it  the wireless part decides to have a rest..

cat5 cable and ends are as cheap as chips.... its just the routes around the building that takes a bit of fathoming ...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »
IDeally yes, you'd find a sweet spot for the AP where the signal is "OK" and the speed is "OK" then put it there which would then boost (or repeat) the signal for a wider range....it will be a case of try and see TBH...or use a laptop watch the signal strength and when ti drops between "good" and "medium" thats prob a good spot....best way to think if it the best speed you will get is the SLOWEST link, so try to ensure the AP & router get the best mix of signal, speed and distance and you should be sorted

Cheers dude!

I am also hoping the wirelss N draft has a longer range anyway Not switching bands yet though, I haven't got a 5GHz device..

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
we have a netgear wireless router with 3 network cables in it that serve the ground,ist floor and loft internet suite, this allows a network printer,[which is also wireless] to be acessed by 4 users in the house,
we have 3 laptops on wireless and 1 pc and one mac mini hardwired in our experience we have very few problems,

the main one being the router needs rebouting onec a month when it the wireless part decides to have a rest..

Much the same as what we have - got a wired/wireless router downstairs foir the wireless laptop / devices then a cat 5 cable upstairs toa 1gb hub with 3 X pc's and 1 NAS conneted to it - printer is a handy wireless one as well

Strange you have to reboot it - you might wanna check to see if there a firmware update for it as i aint rebooted ours in weeks, if not months now!

Cheers dude!

I am also hoping the wirelss N draft has a longer range anyway Not switching bands yet though, I haven't got a 5GHz device..

NP M8y,  Yeah it should have as the power output is higher for "N" AFAIK....

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »
Strange you have to reboot it - you might wanna check to see if there a firmware update for it as i aint rebooted ours in weeks, if not months now!

the main one being the router needs rebouting onec a month when it the wireless part decides to have a rest..

BTW, just thinking Art, one of the reasons I didn't get another Netgear is the compatability with Macs - it just doesn't seem to get on well with them..

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 02:15:42 pm »
BTW, just thinking Art, one of the reasons I didn't get another Netgear is the compatability with Macs - it just doesn't seem to get on well with them..

no prob with ours....thb..

macs seem to find networks so much easier than windoze machines...

good point, its around 18 months old,
will have a peek on the netgear site,

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »
will have a peek on the netqueer site

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »