Author Topic: PhilO / Shifty - Here's that Rotisserie . . . .  (Read 1032 times)

Roadkill

PhilO / Shifty - Here's that Rotisserie . . . .
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:29:37 am »
Tell me that this is NOT an utterly simple but awesome idea !

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:11 am »
HmmMMmm weird.. I am just about to spank 700 quid on a roller from CJ Autos as I am p1ssed off having to roll-around under the bus painting and repairing.. I also want to replace the wiring loom which runs down the chassis so would be so much easier if I could do it with one of these:

Would that REALLY hold the weight? Consistently? Looks more like a one-use thing?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:15:48 am »
Looks like the same one from Frost for £465
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8955&frostProductName=Body%20Roller

Also has a link on that page saying it works for VW camper vans...

Roadkill - the bits of wood approach looks great. What stops it rolling completely over?

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:33 am »
That is precious, and even more innovative than my home made ply wood bike centre stand...... Genius.....

Roadkill

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:30:19 pm »
Quoting: Pod
Roadkill - the bits of wood approach looks great. What stops it rolling completely over?

Apparently the guy just fixed a length of timber to the B-Pillars.

However, I was discussing last night that I would first make it symetrical (so it can be rolled both ways) and then add an upper frame (that was cross-braced) so when it was on it's side it couldn't roll-over.

Add some wheels and yer done.

Roadkill

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:32:48 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Would that REALLY hold the weight? Consistently? Looks more like a one-use thing?

It is a one-use thing . . . . the thing is it'll cost, maybe £50 in timber . . .

How much would a metal rotisserie cost and (really) how many times would you use it ?

THe way I see it is if you were gonna spend £800 on a ready made one, but a timber one costs £50 (and takes up less space) you've just saved £750 to put to said project !

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:22 pm »
and ya can reuse the timber.....

i suspect tipping a vw van on one ...would be a ten man job...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 01:29:27 pm »
Quoting: Pod
Looks like the same one from Frost for £465
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8955&frostProductName=Body%20Roller

Also has a link on that page saying it works for VW camper vans...

Cheers dude, yep same one but I had to add wheel adapters and delivery onto that so was rounding up.

Quoting: Roadkill
How much would a metal rotisserie cost and (really) how many times would you use it ?  

Arr, well, I have a cunning plan to either subsidise the cost to other people using This Way Up OR renting it out, so it will cost me say £150 for use of a specially made roller that I can use a couple of times before I have finished everything I need to do with it and sell it on or rent it out.. I say use a couple of times because I will, I won't do all of it in one go, I will probably re-set the bus upright in-between  gathering parts etc - the wiring loom is expensive but the paint in comparison isn't..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 02:48:35 pm »
Fair enough.

I'm gonna go with the timber option when the body comes off of the '58 . . . That said my version is gonna be greatly improved.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:09 pm »
that is actually rather brilliant........