Author Topic: Bikes  (Read 3229 times)

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Bikes
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:35:42 am »
Just thinking out loud - once one has passed their bike test are there any restrictions on the size/type of bike they can own/ride for any period of time?

I'm about out of ideas for what to do with big mouse so its time to sell up but I'll stilll need my occasional fix of speed so I thought a bike would probably do that; 5 of my mates all own bikes, 2 x hyabusas, 1 x ducatti, 1 x fireblade and a susuki model that I'm unsure of. I don't want to ask them because a) they'll immediately talk me into the quickest, menatl bike they can find and b) I'd like to suprise them when I turn up on a bike sometime

Roadkill

Bikes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:50:52 am »
Quoting: Big Mouse
once one has passed their bike test are there any restrictions on the size/type of bike they can own/ride for any period of time?

As long as you pass your test on a 500cc, No.

That said you'll be stupid to hop right on to a 1100cc monster.

A guy across the road from me has ridden scooters all his life (he's about 58) and did his test last year . . . He got a 600cc Honda (i think) first and has recently got a 900cc Triumph.

He said both bikes were fast as f*ck (especially the Triumph).

I mention this as, to me, this seems a more sensible way of "building up" to a big bike.

At the end of the day, even the 500cc bikes I'm learning on leave 95% of cars for dead at junctions.

They're lethal machines if not respected !

Fun though.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 08:49:11 pm »
Just thinking out loud - once one has passed their bike test are there any restrictions on the size/type of bike they can own/ride for any period of time?

The rules change on 29th Sept 2008 so it will take five years to ride unlimited :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

Roadkill

Bikes
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:07:29 pm »
Quoting: F Body
The rules change on 29th Sept 2008 so it will take five years to ride unlimited :

That doesn't say anything about the new rules, though - only the current stuff.

Even here it doesn't mention restrictions . . .

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=405

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:14:46 pm »
he he he.... the Milton Keynes Bike forum
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 06:40:41 am »
Quoting: art b
he he he.... the Milton Keynes Bike forum

Bannish this thread to where it belongs......

Be Gone..!

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:17:18 pm »
do it do it do it!

a fast bike is an incredible rush, but dont go headlong into a 1200cc machine.

even my 21 year old GPz550 will run a 12.6 quater, a 1988 CBR 600 will crack an 11.. so as a training tool, a 600 is excellent.

its a very different experience to a fast car, as you are part of the environment, rather than being cocooned away from it.

everyone should try it at least once. phone around some of the training centers, you may get a cancelation slot before the new test comes out.

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:05:56 am »
Got to try and find the time first to get it done; we've gone from dead in the water to really busy in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I thought I'd start with something 'small' say 500-600cc to see whether I rreally enjoyed it; if i do then I'd upgrade after a year or so to something a little bigger.

Question.  Everyone tells me not to jump straight onto a monster. While I take their greater experience on board, and I'd already decided to buy something cheaper to start with anyway, I still don't see the reasoning behind it? I don't drive like a dick in a car on the road so why would I suddenly drive like one on a bike? I can't belive that the big bikes are so uncontrollable that it will just crash immediately, surely they operate the same as any motorised vehicle i.e. they'll only go as fast as the person opening the throttle will allow?

Or am I missing something

Roadkill

Bikes
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:29:58 am »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
you may get a cancelation slot

NO CHANCE !

Roadkill

Bikes
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:44 am »
I can't belive that the big bikes are so uncontrollable that it will just crash immediately

They are very twitchy compared to smaller bikes.  Yes it is easy to crash immediately.

I lifted the front wheel on a 500cc (accidently) on my first time out - that was after riding over 1,000 miles on a 125cc . . . if it had been wet I'd have been in trouble - if it had been a 1200cc I'd have come off, no doubt.

I don't ride or drive like a dick either.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 10:08:35 pm »
Question. Everyone tells me not to jump straight onto a monster. While I take their greater experience on board, and I'd already decided to buy something cheaper to start with anyway, I still don't see the reasoning behind it? I don't drive like a dick in a car on the road so why would I suddenly drive like one on a bike? I can't belive that the big bikes are so uncontrollable that it will just crash immediately, surely they operate the same as any motorised vehicle i.e. they'll only go as fast as the person opening the throttle will allow?

Or am I missing something

the suzuki GSX1400 has become rather infamous for being able to loop over backwards on less the 1/4 throttle in 1st gear with a ham fisted clutch hand, and can lift the front wheel at 130 mph with nothing more than a twist of throttle..

a stock 2003 hyabusa can run a 9 second 1/4, on a tyre contact patch the size of the palm of your hand..

when the R1 was introduced, people were returning them to dealers claiming the bike was so fast it was virtualy unridable, not kids, experienced riders.

in a car, power + inexperience = accident

on a bike, power + inexperience = death

a superbike wont be a million miles behind big mouse in performance. would you let someone out of a 1.1 fiesta straight into bigmouse?

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 09:45:59 am »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
a superbike wont be a million miles behind big mouse in performance. would you let someone out of a 1.1 fiesta straight into bigmouse?

point well made and taken

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Bikes
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:38:30 am »
ive had a few bikes,
and the 650 bandit is great bike to get experiance on,
 but after 9 months i was looking for something more,
so i got the 1200 bandit, and its so much different, better ride,braking and more power,   but i dont really use the power to race the bike, it is just better for cruising and overtaking,
it really is down to the rider twisting the throttle,as to how dangerous things are,
i was out in the rain/thunderstorm yeaterday and it took a lot of effort and concentration to focus  on the grip levels...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: