Author Topic: Mondeo Klub for Bois - MK3 Help  (Read 14505 times)

Andy

Mondeo Klub for Bois - MK3 Help
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:06 am »
That's a Mk2 Mondy diesel, a very crude diesel engine by todays standards but won't return the power or economy a MK 3 has. I think at best they put out 89bhp. Don't get me wrong a good car and engine but a long way off what CP is looking for in a motorway muncher and towing machine.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:29 am »
Yup, but at the moment any diesel will do - especially a cheap one.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2011, 03:26:46 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Yeah, after thinking about it a bit more I think I'm going to pull out.

The old boy just called me after a few days saying he has done some speaking to his misses and he well let me have it for £1,200.

It IS immaculate and drives well

I did enjoy driving it

£1,000 is about what they are going for on eBay (diesel ones)..

I guess if I liked it enough, when the head did crack, I could just put a new / low milage one on? They aren't OHC - so no timing belt to worry with.

He said the water pump propellers smashed up which is why it needed to be replace, but it did not over heat.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2011, 03:46:29 pm »
The old boy just called me after a few days saying he has done some speaking to his misses and he well let me have it for £1,200.

Walk away

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »
The head on those is actually 4 separate heads, one per cylinder.

http://beta.4x4community.net/forum/showthread.php?41685-XJ-Cracked-Head

If you're happy to get a good one from a scrappy and fit yourself I guess it's not a bad gamble.

Considered something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-1998-4lt-lpg-/190592859910?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c60383f06#ht_500wt_1219

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-LTD-AUTO-GREEN-DUAL-FUEL-LPG-/180745631950?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a154778ce#ht_1227wt_1219

Depends on what kit is on it and how well it runs on both petrol and lpg mind...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2011, 04:57:56 pm »
Hello Bois!

Guess who just joined the Mondeo Klub for Bois!  

I just put a deposit down on a 2005 2.0TDCi 130 Ghia, Ł2300.

A dodgy second hand car dealership in Coventry but the car seems ok

96000 miles MOT May 2012.
Started fine & drove fine,  the clutch and brakes were a little woolly compared to the 8000 mile Octavia I've been driving all day, but I reckon that's to be expected.
No funny noises and all the electrics I tested worked.
Cosmetically the interior need a good valet and there plenty of scratches to test my G3 compound out on

Pick it up Saturday.

Anyone what to buy a Mustang?  

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »
this isn't intended as a snide comment, but woolly clutch? can you back out of the deal? if so PLEASE DO

the clutch shouldn't be woolly at all, even at that (danger zone) mileage. sounds likea big bill is on the way. Does it have a warranty? ALL DMF equipped Mondeos (all MK3 onwards) suffer DMF and clutch failure, as do all vectras. the VAG group cars also suffer, but nowhere near as badly.

if you can back out and find an octavia VRS, it would be a batter plan.

Andy

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2011, 07:18:49 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
this isn't intended as a snide comment, but woolly clutch? can you back out of the deal? if so PLEASE DO

the clutch shouldn't be woolly at all, even at that (danger zone) mileage. sounds likea big bill is on the way. Does it have a warranty? ALL DMF equipped Mondeos (all MK3 onwards) suffer DMF and clutch failure, as do all vectras. the VAG group cars also suffer, but nowhere near as badly.

Woah, easy there Phil, I'm sure Chris has given this a good going over. A clutch in a Ford can feel completely different to any other car, I think the woolly (great technical term btw ) could mean a variety of things.

Quoting: philoldsmobile
octavia VRS

Now thats just crazy talk, where would you pick one of those up for sub £2k.

Chris, Welcome to the (C)klub, you have got a full service history on that thing right?

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:47 pm »
If it was a diesel Skoda it would still have DPF problems.
Oh and injector problems.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:54 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro

If it was a diesel Skoda it would still have DPF problems.
Oh and injector problems.

just like the mondeo..... only much less.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:03 pm »
Quoting: Andy
A clutch in a Ford can feel completely different to any other car,

it really shouldn't, nothing in a mondeo should feel in any way unusual, as the mondeo is the definition of middle of the road.

a 'different' Mondeo is a broken Mondeo. back out, there are thousands others that don't have wooley clutches. Diesels give clutches a hard time, (and DMF's) so even the slightest hint of trouble is walk away territory. The impending clutch issue is probably why the previous owner got shot...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:09 pm »
I admit I can only go on my experience of driving more cars than I can remember of varying age and type.  But your correct there is always the risk it will drop its guts on my way back down the M1.

Certainly didn't have any of the noises, vibration or starting issues that seem to be common symptoms.

Maybe woolly wasn't the best word to use, it felt like a car that had done it's miles.
Every car has a slightly different clutch to me..

The Octavia has a harsh clutch, but not as harsh as the Honda Accord we had a few years back! That was kick in the butt.  The Nissan Note has the wooliest clutch of the fleet.

If its a lemon it's a lemon I can only do my best.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:29 pm »
Some advice I got from someone else regarding the DMF / clutch:

Quoting: Some knowledgeable dude on VZi

Road test should show any clutch issues when the dmf starts to go it will be felt in the form of vibration up the pedal and through the whole car if the clutch dont slip when you boot it in 4th gear it should be fine try pulling away in top with the hand brake on it should stall the engine, all gears should be smooth up and down.

Quoting: Incursus
If its a lemon it's a lemon I can only do my best.

Yep, you get to a point where no matter how well you check a car over and use all your knowledge and all the advice you can get, sometimes a car can seem perfect on that day but still end up breaking. You have to buy something at some point, all you are doing is trying to reduce the odds that something will break / has broken - but you can't eliminate the risk entirely

I just put a deposit down on a 2005 2.0TDCi 130 Ghia, Ł2300.

Sounds alright dude. Right in the middle price-range of what I was looking at. Is it an estate?

Don't forget to do a HPI check

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:11 pm »
Is it an estate?

Nope Estate.
Quoting: Some knowledgeable dude on VZi

Road test should show any clutch issues when the dmf starts to go it will be felt in the form of vibration up the pedal and through the whole car if the clutch dont slip when you boot it in 4th gear it should be fine try pulling away in top with the hand brake on it should stall the engine, all gears should be smooth up and down.

Well I didn't try it with the handbrake on but ok other than that.. no vibration or clutch slip.
Though looking at the interweb a new DMF & Clutch etc is cheaper than any of the insurance quotes I've had

Andy

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »
Well I didn't try it with the handbrake on but ok other than that.. no vibration or clutch slip.
Though looking at the interweb a new DMF & Clutch etc is cheaper than any of the insurance quotes I've had

Apparently Chris Knott are better for the old Mondeo owners. No good for me as they only like the over 25 owners...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
Cool I'll give them a try

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2011, 06:57:24 am »
Yep, you get to a point where no matter how well you check a car over and use all your knowledge and all the advice you can get, sometimes a car can seem perfect on that day but still end up breaking. You have to buy something at some point, all you are doing is trying to reduce the odds that something will break / has broken - but you can't eliminate the risk entirely

Wise words CP

I've bought at least 3 cars which fell exactly into that description, the knack is after realising that it's a lemon, usually after spending a couple of hundred pounds on different issues, cut your losses and get shut of it period

Is it an estate?

Nope its in a state.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2011, 07:13:49 am »
Apparently Chris Knott are better for the old Mondeo owners. No good for me as they only like the over 25 owners...

Weird, been with them for 19 months now.... We were both under 25 when they insured us...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:20 am »
Quoting: F Body
I've bought at least 3 cars which fell exactly into that description, the knack is after realising that it's a lemon, usually after spending a couple of hundred pounds on different issues, cut your losses and get shut of it period

Indeed I learnt that lesson with the Fiero, there's a car that should have gone straight back on EBay!  It didn't even complete the journey home!!

Is it an estate?

Nope its in a state.

Andy

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2011, 08:15:35 am »
Fieldy, I rang them up a couple of weeks ago to give them a try as my renewal was up. He got as far as saying 'you're 23 and have a Zetec, that's going to be over £1.5k without even putting it through the computer'. My renewal with Admiral was only £400... He said all young drivers have taken a hit and that new policies were really expensive for under 25's. I gave up after that and just went with Admiral as they knocked a further 10% off for paying in one lump sum.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2011, 10:39:03 am »
Admiral was only £400

Yeah Admiral have been the cheapest so far with, I will give Chris Knott a call though.

Andy

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2011, 11:57:02 am »
They have been pretty good to me over the last couple of years, and what makes them just a little bit nicer, you get an 'English' ok Welsh call centre during the day and at night the Canadians take your call eh!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2011, 12:12:34 pm »
£3k ain't shed money, but it's a heck of lot of greenbacks for a high mileage motor

Well replacing another suspension part on the 5yr old 92k miles Panda today

Already done both front drop link bars, one last month and the other the month before. Due to another nasty knocking noise it's the nearside track rod end today

I seem to be replacing at least one part a month now, which is what you have to expect when your heading towards 100k

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »
I seem to be replacing at least one part a month now, which is what you have to expect when you buy a Fiat...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
I seem to be replacing at least one part a month now, which is what you have to expect when you buy Italian...