Author Topic: Stereo with Digital Optical input  (Read 956 times)

Andy

Stereo with Digital Optical input
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:12 am »
Hi guys,

Need some help for the technological people. I'm after a stereo system that will make my AV setup a bit better in terms of audio. At the minute I have my DVD player and ATV running into my Samsung TV, but the tv has no audio outs on it... ever so useful. So I'm instead looking at taking the audio feeds from the devices.

I have a component out on the DVD and Satellite TV but the ATV has a digital optical out, so I'm looking for a stereo/cinema amplifier that will suit all three devices. Not looking at a huge budget sub £300 if possible.

Suggestions people!

TIA

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »
Ok. I hate that the new TV's don't have standard analogue audio out, mine does, but my mates doesn't and it pisses me off. No doubt my future one won't.

So, my suggestion to him was to buy a second hand Amp, and set up the stereo as normal.

You can buy a digital - analogue converter, I would then use this to convert your TV into the amp.

My mums place is set up with the Sky input in one, DVD in another etc and it makes no sense to me. I like my sound to switch off when my TV does. I subsequently leave my amp on 24/7.

The only 3 inputs I have into my amp is the TV, Then the DVD (based solely opfor when I'm listening to CD's), and then my iPod dock.

My Apple TV is then sourced when my TV is on the channel.

As for makes, I'm afraid mines an old set up minus a new set of passive speakers from the Best Buy closures. My speakers and about 9 years old and Sony, and my Amp is about 15 years old and Sony. So I'm afraid I can't help with brands.....

Andy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »
Well I kinda cured my problem by doing a bit of shopping this afternoon. I went round a couple of the big shops then settled on a unit in John Lewis. Was a Samsung DVD Home Cinema system. Featuring a digital input, allows my ATV to play stereo + sub, unfortunately not full 5.1 for the movies that feature it, but I'm sure I can sus a way of doing that at some point.

Either way, my old dvd which was the mutts has now found a new life in the living room replacing the ancient Toshiba DVD player.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »
Ive done it pretty much the same, apple tv, sky and blueray players go in to the Samsung DVD home cinema jobie. Works perfect, as long as you select the correct source!!!!

Andy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:00 pm »
Quoting: EDGE
Ive done it pretty much the same, apple tv, sky and blueray players go in to the Samsung DVD home cinema jobie. Works perfect, as long as you select the correct source!!!!

Just learnt that theres a quick button the remote. Although I must say, running AppleTV while having the audio from the Voice really is screwy!

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »
You see, I can't stand 'Home Cinema' systems. They never work out well for me....

Andy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:46 pm »
This one, so far, has done it. Sorted all my previous issues out and now means I have a dedicated amplifier for my record player!